Premium/high end offset

JeffRaines

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Jeff
So I’ve been fairly satisfied with my Oklahoma Joe Highland for the last year or two. Tending fire ain’t so bad, the ‘cue it puts out is great, but it’s getting small.

I recently switched employers, and my new employer is not only offering higher pay but a fairly handsome sign on bonus(at least for my line of work). I won’t need to dip into savings, my kids college fund, or retirement for this purchase and I’ve enjoyed the cheap offset I have now - it can only be better, right?

With all that said, I’ve got my eye on three different pits.

I’d love a Workhorse 1975 - it’s probably bigger than I need but I hear bigger pits are easier to run. It’s cheaper than the other two and gets good reviews - my only downside is my impatience. I’d like to get it before the summer, not get it late fall or worse. I contacted a place that has one on order in hopes of getting them to drop ship to my place and I pay the difference but it was a no go. They only offered to ship it to me once it made it to them - this would put the price on par with the other two. The other hang up with ordering direct is that after what happened with Fatstack, I’m not comfortable paying 100% up front for a product that’s 8 months or more out. The risk just isn’t worth it.

Goldees smoker. This one seems to get great reviews. Different design for sure, probably still bigger than I need. Total cost would be roughly $5k once shipping is factored in. Available in 3-4 months. Another plus - they accept a deposit with the remainder due at time of shipping.

Franklin pit. The smaller of the three. Also gets great reviews. Also available in 3-4 months. The downsides are no intake/exhaust controls, but from most accounts fire management seems almost foolproof. Smaller than the other options - but again, it’s me cooking for my family and an occasional cookout/party.

The most I could foresee myself cooking at once would be a brisket, a couple racks of ribs and a butt(or two). To be fair, I actually haven’t ran across that scenario yet, but it’s the most I could see needing. The 1975 is probably overkill, I may be able to size that down further but I run into the same issues with availability and shipping. By the time a shop has it shipped to them, marks it up, then ships it to me it puts it within a few hundred of the others.

Would love to hear some input from you guys - help me spend some of my bonus!

A Shirley 24x36 patio model has the space to easily meet your needs. I know they have expanded their shop and the standard 24x36 is not a custom build so the wait time is much less. I doubt you would have to wait till summer. You might give them a shout and see.

I also back the Shirley line. They make traditional offsets and reverse flow cabinet styles like the patio mentioned above and they have quite a few different sizes. They are arguably some of the most skilled fabricators out there and their customer service is second to none. However, you won't see much about their pits on their website. To order one, you need to go to their page to get Tyler's email and tell him what you want and he will price it out. You can see a list of options on their site but if you want to see them, go to YouTube and search for Shirley fabrication smokers. Paul Shirley makes a lot of videos walking through the smokers and options.

Their work is beautiful and I believe that their craftmanship is unmatched, and their pits work flawlessly. I am having one built now. I had quite a list of options so it takes a little longer but it was only around 6 to 8 weeks. Watch a few videos. They build all sorts of pits and do a load of custom work too. You tell them what you want and they will build it. They are IMHO the best of the best. Check them out.

Good luck with whatever you decide and Happy New Year

Franklin was on a podcast talking about his pit and the level of obsession he put into it is almost tiring to listen to. I suspect the Franklin is by far the best designed/made pit but it's smaller. Don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices.

Since you're on the west coast give Fat Stack Smokers a look.

I’m in the Shirley Fabrication camp for sure. Here is my second Shirley that Paul built for me in 2023. Sorry about the way the photo shows up.

My first Shirley was a 24x36 and it is a GREAT Cooker. Kevin White delivers Shirleys all over the country.

If I wasn’t in the Shirley camp, the Workhouse 1975 would be my choice of the Cookers you listed.

Attachments

• IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 380
Franklin was on a podcast talking about his pit and the level of obsession he put into it is almost tiring to listen to. I suspect the Franklin is by far the best designed/made pit but it's smaller. Don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices.

Since you're on the west coast give Fat Stack Smokers a look.

Not to muddy the waters on Fat Stack, but I think there in some financial troubles and their waitlist is close to 2 years now...?

Saw it on some reddit (I know, gross) post and some of the owners youtube vids.

Not discounting their quality by any means; just their current business status.

I hope to one day upgrade from my OKJ when I feel the time is right, and Murillo metalworks is on my list on the west coast.

Not to muddy the waters on Fat Stack, but I think there in some financial troubles and their waitlist is close to 2 years now...?

Saw it on some reddit (I know, gross) post and some of the owners youtube vids.

Not discounting their quality by any means; just their current business status.

I hope to one day upgrade from my OKJ when I feel the time is right, and Murillo metalworks is on my list on the west coast.

Last time I checked fatstack was evicted from their new place and had pretty much ghosted their waitlist.

I was going to mention fat stack is having issues. Get the biggest pit you can afford. I had a Shirley patio and it is a great cooker, but I like to cook on one level and enter my 250 gallon moberg. Another great cooker and for me a great backyard size. Best of luck on your choice. The better the pit the easier they are to run.

I'll second this

I"ll second this...I got mine a few months ago and I am BLOWN away with this thing.

It is almost 1/2" thick steel all over...heavy duty. Holds heat well...draws well.

I'm still in my learning phase, but hands down, bang for the buck I do NOT think you can go wrong with this.

The guy what runs the company, Phil...is easy to talk to...we spoke at length a couple times on questions I had, things I wanted (there are lots of things you can add that are not on the site).

One negative is...his website (link above) is VERY primitive and not nearly informational enough.

But you can talk to Phil.

And, there a number of folks here on the forum that are quick with answers. In fact, I had a LONG thread with my questions and folks here posting answers, pictures, etc.

I'll see if I can find that thread link and paste it on here.

I think the base starting price is about $1700 for what others are charging starting at $4K and up.

Delivery is gonna be a killer for you tho...depending on where in the US you live.

That might play a good bit into your choices too.

The BS Smoker...isn't as "pretty" externally as many of the high end ones are...but what are you wanting....form or function?

Is form worth the extra $2K-$4K?

Anyway, I'll try to find my thread and post a link to see if that helps.

Cayenne

Here's the links (and titles) to the threads I had when shopping for and buying the Blue Smoke Smoker:

Looking for a new stick burner....1/4 steel a must.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304854&highlight=cayenne+blue+smoke

It's FINALLY here: My BlueSmoke Offset Smoker!!!
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306278&highlight=cayenne+blue+smoke

FIRST COOK on the new Offset Smoker!!! Pictures and comments...
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306396&highlight=cayenne+blue+smoke

First Brisket on the new BlueSmoke Smoker offset stick burner...
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306412&highlight=cayenne+blue+smoke

I hope this helps you!!

cayenne

Is Jambo still around?
I cooked on one a few years back and it was a sweetheart to run.

Lots of premium pits out there.

Good Luck
TIM

Here's the links (and titles) to the threads I had when shopping for and buying the Blue Smoke Smoker:

Looking for a new stick burner....1/4 steel a must.
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304854&highlight=cayenne+blue+smoke

It's FINALLY here: My BlueSmoke Offset Smoker!!!
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306278&highlight=cayenne+blue+smoke

FIRST COOK on the new Offset Smoker!!! Pictures and comments...
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306396&highlight=cayenne+blue+smoke

First Brisket on the new BlueSmoke Smoker offset stick burner...
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306412&highlight=cayenne+blue+smoke

I hope this helps you!!

cayenne

how has the exterior held up so far?? rust on the firebox yet?? sadly this is the one aesthetic thing that makes me want an insulated box. however it may be nothing to concern myself with. the BSS and the Workhorse pits are on my radar but may pop for the extra $$ to get a BigPhil backyard model as it's essentially the same thing as the BSS but with the insulated box and other options available.

Jeff,
I live just outside of Orting WA. I have a Lang Wide Body Deluxe modified roof, awnings. i modified it to do comps, catering, and charities . I hate standing in the rain , used to road race . Let me know if you are interested .

how has the exterior held up so far?? rust on the firebox yet?? sadly this is the one aesthetic thing that makes me want an insulated box. however it may be nothing to concern myself with. the BSS and the Workhorse pits are on my radar but may pop for the extra $$ to get a BigPhil backyard model as it's essentially the same thing as the BSS but with the insulated box and other options available.

I have had my BSS for almost 2 years - I keep a cover on it - and apply linseed oil to it every 6 months - no rust and still lookin good

I have had my BSS for almost 2 years - I keep a cover on it - and apply linseed oil to it every 6 months - no rust and still lookin good

nice!! that has been my biggest gripe with the OK Joe I have. thing is rusting to hell. that said, any new smoker I get will live a life of comfort in a mostly covered smoke shack, like will not get any direct rain.

can you (or someone) explain the linseed oil treatment and tell me why it works even on the firebox?? cuz if that works it certainly becomes an obvious option for me that I previously was not considering. would save a ton of money not popping for the insulated box.

Back