Uds test burn

Crashwood

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Ed
Well I just finish my UDS build just need to paint it, with my fire basket being pretty large at 18" round and 14" high, I wanted to see how long of a burn I could get

I had two bags of Kingsford briquettes I wound up putting 35lbs of charcoal in my basket and still had 4" of basket left, I had a diffuser plate above the charcoal basket no water pan, and no meat, I had my BBQ Guru DigiQ fan in the smoker temp set at 235 no other intakes open. temps were running between 235 and 250 the whole burn, the reason for the temp jump I am thinking because the outside temp here in Arizona was 111 degrees.

Started test burn at 7:00 pm ended the test burn at 12:00 noon the following day, shut the fan down, I know that they are efficient but when I took the basket out to check on how much charcoal it used I was very surprise, it only used 5lbs of charcoal for a 17 hour burn.

I may cut my basket down 4" not sure yet.

will post pictures of my build when I get it painted

Last edited:
Well I just finish my UDS build just need to paint it, with my fire basket being pretty large at 18" round and 14" high, I wanted to see how long of a burn I could get

I had two bags of Kingsford briquettes I wound up putting 35lbs of charcoal in my basket and still had 4" of basket left, I had a diffuser plate above the charcoal basket no water pan, and no meat, I had my BBQ Guru DigiQ fan in the smoker temp set at 235 no other intakes open. temps were running between 235 and 250 the whole burn, the reason for the temp jump I am thinking because the outside temp here in Arizona was 111 degrees.

Started test burn at 7:00 pm ended the test burn at 12:00 noon the following day, shut the fan down, I know that they are efficient but when I took the basket out to check on how much charcoal it used I was very surprise, it only used 5lbs of charcoal for a 20 hour burn.

I may cut my basket down 4" not sure yet.

I just did a similar test

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=261767

but wouldnt your test be 17 hours?

i had a 17x 12 high basket. I cut 5" out of it to 7" and it was still too much. now I use a chimney and get 10 hours from 2/3 of chimney

UDS Build

sorry you are correct it was 17 hours it must have been that cheap school I went to

Back