UDS pictures please

Meat, what kind of thermometer is that? Looks big, how long is it?

Nice UDS! I like the color. Mines due for a new coat...

I built the stand to get the intakes more within reach and have the bottom of the drum cut out so I can start the fire and cleanup with the drum off to the side.

Well here is another try at posting two pics. Failed last post, don't know why and have had trouble since yesterday even getting the site to download pics. Oh well . . . . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jerry you might want to put a big pan under the stand to catch all the meat juices running out the bottom of the barrel. Just a thought!:smile::icon_cool

Keale, it's a 3" Brinkman therm. Got it on sale at Westlake Hardware for $19.95. Got the same thing on a couple other drums and very pleased with accuracy and are pretty tough. I put a half inch pipe nut on the back inside the drum just to be safe.

Here's one I built For a friend. You can hang meat like Chicken and ribs or use a 22 1/2" grill. I used the angle iron frame to stiffen the lid after I welded the exhaust tube.

Attachments

• BBQ-Smoker 043 (2).jpg
    BBQ-Smoker 043 (2).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 511
  • BBQ-Smoker 044 (2).jpg
    BBQ-Smoker 044 (2).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 512
  • BBQ-Smoker 048 (2).jpg
    BBQ-Smoker 048 (2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 516
  • BBQ-Smoker 051 (2).jpg
    BBQ-Smoker 051 (2).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 512
here is mine. its at my painter friend for some coustomizing right now.

2190389305_499d37485e.jpg

Well here is another try at posting two pics. Failed last post, don't know why and have had trouble since yesterday even getting the site to download pics. Oh well . . . . . . .

attachment.php

how well does it keep out air at the bottom?

Ratdawg:
attachment.php

Love it!! Mine needs that horizontal rod mod!!

Same charcoal basket lifter I use!!!

SmokeWatcher - The magnets are already on the back of the thermo's, and they are up high enough that the head doesn't bother them. I have started placing them on the lid with thier stands though for easier readability at night when I turn the back light on :)

cajun - Yes, that is a wood lid. 3/8" plywood to be exact. Works like a charm.

sksmoker... Thanks, that's something to keep in mind. Found barrel's but no lids. Today I found the lids.

My lid was really out of round, with a wow in the top part of the drum. I tried to get it back into shape, but I would have had to cold shrink it to do that. I got that suggestion from another forum and since I have the springs on it to keep it tight to the drum, it works like a charm.

First two UDS builds

Just finished these smokers, smoking first brisket on the stainless tomorrow

Attachments

• IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 323
Here is a pic of mine coming up to temp. Nothing special about its looks but it cooks some awesome BBQ.

picture.php

A great feature is the SS hinges I used to hold the grates. They move upwards when I need to lift the bottom grate, the diffuser, or the ash pan out of the bottom making it easy to lift them out without needing to tip them and potentially spill the contents.

picture.php

UDS Photo

Here is a recent build. Just one hole at the bottom for the pitmaster hose. Works great.

Attachments

• 6430856727_7097c74cb9_z.jpg
    6430856727_7097c74cb9_z.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 241
Back