Turning in two forms of meat in the same box

You can not DQ it - but as others said, #6 will not be happy.

I have heard this arguement with chicken. most people turn in 6 thigh. Judge #6 might have an opinion he is getting what is left. I do nto htink that is right, but what do you guys think?

Judge #6 might have an opinion he is getting what is left. I do nto htink that is right, but what do you guys think?

I think what we are saying is that Judge 6 does gets what is left unless there are more than 6 portions. It doesn't matter if it is all the same cut or not.

now for them to get PO'd about that is kind of ridiculous IMO, I turned in the box, not assign your seat. Dont knock the cooks scores, get pissed at the judge next to you that grabbed the piece you want.

Don't want the last choice in the box, get there early enough to sit in the middle of the table.

To me it really isn't a judge getting PO'd that he didn't get the piece he wanted. It is more about each judge judging the same thing. If five judges are basing their scores on a slice of brisket and a burnt end, and judge six is only basing his score on a slice, it seems to me that the table isn't uniform.

I posted this on the thread about turning in all drums, but it really fits in here better. I turned in this box of chicken in Pine Bluff,

chickenboxpinebluff.jpg

It got great appearance scores 989998
but the taste scores 897696
and the tenderness scores 788687
I feel really were affected by the different pieces of chicken that the different judges got.

Like I said in the other thread, I won't do that again.

I may have misread this thread. If two forms of meat means Chicken and Beef... yes, that is a DQ. Whew!!! Now that this mystery is solved... back to the discussion of cheating if you use pellets.

6 pcs is 6 pcs. What has always bothered me is if the cook puts in both slices and chunks and I take a piece of each almost every time one is better than the other and I have to either decide the score on the good piece or the bad piece, or maybe even add them together and divide by two??????
In trainig I think they say to try each because the cook offers both and just decide the final score ( 1+1 /2).
What are your thoughts and expectations as a cook when you put both in the box and they both aren't great?
ModelMaker

As a cook, I sometimes include 2 types so that you, as a judge, select the one you are likely to enjoy more. :twisted:

If you try both (and I am sure many do, I have no problem with it), I guess you would have to sort of average them out. That seemse reasonable to me: You are judging the total of what you tasted.

To me it really isn't a judge getting PO'd that he didn't get the piece he wanted. It is more about each judge judging the same thing. If five judges are basing their scores on a slice of brisket and a burnt end, and judge six is only basing his score on a slice, it seems to me that the table isn't uniform.

Good point from that perspective, but I never even consider trying to present the same thing to each judge. I try to present something(s) that everyone will enjoy - that may require some diversity, rather than uniformity. Sometimes I feel one "cut" will do it, other times it won't.

I can see where our divergent "goals" bring about this very question. Good discussion.

but that isnt what is supposed to happen is it? arent judges supposed to judge the piece they taste?

it shouldnt matter if one gets a slice the other a chunk, they judge that piece they pull based on its own merits/shortcomings

You've got to come up with some kind of average then between the two.

The bottom line is I never put anything in the box that I think might hurt me. For example if my brisket slices are spot on but I'm not thrilled with the burnt ends I leave them out. I'd rather take my chances of a rogue judge marking me down for not having them than risk having my scores lowered because the burnt ends weren't perfect.

Well you should not be dq'd. There are presumably 6 separated and identifiable (visable) portions; 3 thighs, a half breast, presumably sliced into 5 portions, and 2 drums. However, it presents a delimma for the judges. You have offered 5 portions of dark meat and 5 portions of white meat. How are the judges to choose and what will their scores tell you if the dark is better than the white. And what will happen if the first 5 judges take one of each thinking that is what they are supposed to do?
Contrary to popular opinion regarding offering more than six portions or filling the box up, it would be less confusing if KCBS required the submission of " 6 seperated and identifiable ( visable) portions only. In my opinion submitting a pile of pulled pork, or " fanned slices", or sliced and re-assembled breasts or ribs is a violation of this rule which is ignored by cooks, judges, and reps.

Back