Turkey on the Egg, Rib Tips/Chicken on the Shirley!

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
So yesterday started out with me going to smoke a turkey on my SF and was going to add a few rib tips to help free up freezer space. But then I ended up thawing 16 rib tips and a bunch of chicken thighs :becky:. So to make life easy I fired up both my egg and the SF.

While I still more of a fried turkey guy, smoked is still really good. I need to try smoking then frying :-D.

Starting the egg

SF rolling

Getting the meat ready. I brined the turkey for a day with a random brine I made up. Just depends on the spices I feel like tossing in that day.

Rib tips rubbed

Turkey rubbed

Getting the injection ready. Some chicken broth, butter and bbq rub

Being confused by the injection :crazy:

Turkey on and rolled it at 350

Tips on. Temp between 300-350

Egg smoking along

Shirley smoking along

Made up a batch of kale coleslaw. Saw a recipe for this earlier in the year and it is really good and a nice change up from cabbage.

Bacon for the slaw :clap2:

Slaw ready

This was the turkey after rolling for 1.5hrs at 350. I foiled and then the temp bumped to 400.

Tips looking good and chicken on

Chicken done

Some of the tips done. Love that color

Took my axe to my neighbor because it was a little dull and I don't have any resemblance of useful tools at my house. Oh yes, I'm that neighbor :becky:......But I did give him 4 of the rib tips to take to a football party he was going too :thumb:

Here's the done bird. Looks decent. Some skin breakage, but overall I was happy. Took a little over 3hrs total to cook

Snacked on some of the rib tips while waiting for dinner to assemble

Pulled the chicken to freeze which will get turned into chili later

Getting the turkey and also chicken juices strained and fat separated

Simple gravy

Inside turkey breast shot. Was really good. I've never brined and also injected, but will go this route now. Next time gonna add hot sauce to the injection

Meat cut up

And plated. By the way, gravy on rib tips might be my new favorite thing in the world

Man, looks awesome! That slaw looks interesting....

Thanks for forgetting my invite...again...:-D

I was trying to send a clear message :icon_blush::p. Ha!

But yeah try the slaw. I had the kale and then the wife picked up the other ingredients at the store. She wanted the cranberries, sunflowerseeds, etc and I like random things. Normally I just make it like a traditional slaw with carrots and onions. Dressing was just mayo, apple cider vinegar and some salt/pepper.

Excuse me, didn't know if you saw it, but you have some green stuff on the plate that is getting in the way of more meat... :mrgreen:

Looks good Jason...

Back