THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I cook tri tip all the time, big for weddings.as above reverse sear no sauce no injection ogsp or some Montreal, must trim most of fat. Then a slab of butter while resting

My how things have changed in just a few years

The last year of the Tri tip at FOI, we got a case of Creekstone Prime Tri tips, wet aged, then vacuum sealed individually. Made for incredible freezer surprises

I would salt, then hit with ground Montreal steak, reverse sear, then rest in foil (vented) with butter and more Montreal. Brush the slices with the butter/juices in the foil. Incredible stuff

What should someone expect to pay for tri-tip? I've always heard it referred to as a yummy, inexpensive cut. My local "fancy" grocery is selling "Black Angus Tri-tip Steak" for $12.99 a pound. Does that sound right? Is there a premium for BA? For steak vs roast? Or is it just the grocery being a bit too proud of themselves?

Thanks!

Here in Arizona I get mine at Costco. They are normally 3.99-4.99 a pound and packed two to a package. It is an unbelievable cut of meat if you like it on the rare to medium rare side. I have grilled over gas, open pit mesquite, hung on the Pit Barrel Cooker and put in the big smoker. It is a very flexible cut if you do it right. If you like your beef more than medium rare then it may not be the best. Rub down with salt and pepper right before cooking and if you can get some red oak to cook with. I can get it at the local wholesalers for 2.99 a pound but it is no where near the quality of Costco. Be sure to pull from the grill or smoker at 125-130 degrees and let rest for 15-20 min cut across the grain. PURE HEAVEN

Back