THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it like rib roast where you need to go lower cook temp so it maintains a consistent color throughout?

They average 2 - 3lbs, so they aren't that thick. I think cooking it slow and indirect and then a hot and fast finish is beneficial to any piece of meat but even more important on the lean select and choice grades.

I was informed that the no blood is directed at the pork and chicken. Judges would be informed of the diference between blood and delicious beef. and if they couldnt do that, they shouldnt be judging.

Id still stray away from med rare

OK you heard more then I did.

I was informed that the no blood is directed at the pork and chicken. Judges would be informed of the diference between blood and delicious beef. and if they couldnt do that, they shouldnt be judging.

Id still stray away from med rare

I hope so! I "practiced" my tri tip for this contest last weekend and took it to 148* IT and it was past what I would have liked to turn in...

I always cook tri-tip at about 400 until IT reaches about 130 - 135, usually only take 45 minutes (depending on how thick it is)....then pull and rest....when resting, they always just start oozing out with great juices (I dip garlic bread in it :thumb:). We use a rub with a peppery taste....S&P&G would prob be just as good. Sometimes do a combo with Dizzy Pig Rasin' Da Steaks over the top. Oh yeah, we've tried injecting and honestly it doesn't need it.

Make sure you slice across the grain.....made that mistake once!:doh:

I cook Tri-tip hot and fast in smokers @ 300-375 whilst catering. It comes out buttertery. I only use prime tip from Costco. I pull at 130 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something I've been doing is icing the tip of it for about 10 minutes before putting it on the grill. Normally when the larger part of the meat is medium rare, the tip is medium. The icing helps get it to medium rare as a whole.

I have yet to find a Tri-Tip here in Indiana...maybe I have missed them...or maybe they are called something else here?Any Ideas would be appreciated !! Thanks !!

Try harterhousemeats.com -- they will ship it free for an order over 100.00 grilling instructions in the box get it with Pappy's seasoning -- Can't be beat. I cooked over 150 Tri Tips this past year for them and had to peel my fingers off the knife once I sliced so many -- good gawd folks love it. They leave a nice 1/8 " fat cap on one side, so you flame that for 5 minutes direct heat and then indirect cook it for another 30-35 minutes till about 135-140 degrees internal. Let it rest and slice -- you will have to chase the grain as it will vary a bit from tri tip to tri tip. OOOO and they have Kobe Tri Tips as well. If you want a taste stop by the Clark Kent Super Smokers booth at the American Royal on Friday night and I'll give you a bite fresh of the pit and you can decide for yourself!

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Clark

Wow. We cooked our first tri-tip tonight with input from all of you, much appreciated by the way, and it was soooo good. Why don't restaurants serve this? Oh my it was so rich, tender, slightly smoky and then delicious caramelized bark from the reverse sear. Wow. I think I found my new favorite Q. I don't understand why they are not more popular in the Midwest. I know you folks from the west coast eat a lot of tri tip, but it's not popular around here.
Eggspert BBQ

I need to talk to Tony (New Fire on Ice King) about the no blood rule on this entry for Fire on Ice. If tri tip is not a little bloody it's overcooked. In the past simple rubs, almost all salt and pepper with a few additions have been good, I have also tried some really nice marinaded entries and remember all meats can be Pre marinaded. We'll let all the teams know about doneness before the contest. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone there!

I need to talk to Tony (New Fire on Ice King) about the no blood rule on this entry for Fire on Ice. If tri tip is not a little bloody it's overcooked. In the past simple rubs, almost all salt and pepper with a few additions have been good, I have also tried some really nice marinaded entries and remember all meats can be Pre marinaded. We'll let all the teams know about doneness before the contest. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone there!

We talked to Tony at the MN BBQ Banquet and he said, he will educate the judges that tri-tip is more like steak, then traditional BBQ. He said that medium rare should be fine. The no blood rule does not apply to tri-tip he specifically told us. I am going to cook it how it is suppose to be cooked and how it tastes the best, if judges only like "well done" meat then so be it I will get poor scores and be okay with that. I would rather turn in quality product and score poorly then turn in over done shoe leather and score well. It's just principle!

Eggspert BBQ

With trip tip, when perfectly cooked should have some meat more done, the ends, and some finished properly, medium rare. P.S. did you talk to Tony before he found the Bar to his liking? See you at Mille Lacs.

Tri-tip price?

What should someone expect to pay for tri-tip? I've always heard it referred to as a yummy, inexpensive cut. My local "fancy" grocery is selling "Black Angus Tri-tip Steak" for $12.99 a pound. Does that sound right? Is there a premium for BA? For steak vs roast? Or is it just the grocery being a bit too proud of themselves?

Thanks!

Holy resurrected thread Batman! Haha
When beef prices/availability are reasonable (spring and early summer usually) I expect to pay in the realm of $7 - $10/lb. for tri tip.

Back