Thirdeye's Green Chili

Wayne I made your chili a coupla weeks ago, itwas fantastic. I over did your roux though and made it too thick. I have never used the flour water trick befor. Have allways used corn starch for thicking. I cooked off the taste of the roux, it was just really thick. Well I guess thats just to bad I'll have to do it again:lol::icon_bigsmil

For insurance, why not serve some shredded Mexi-blend cheese on the side? The cheese can do three things. It can add thickness, knock the edge off the heat and lastly it can add that psychological "warm fuzzy comfort feeling" of having a condiment. I would also serve flour tortillas too.

Thats what i did when i made a batch a few weeks back. I also added a dollup? of sour cream on top after the cheese. I always do it that way with a white chile that i make, but use shredded monterey jack. I think the just the jack cheese would be better than the blend. Gotta have the tortillas.

Paul

Thanks, Wayne. I'm hoping that a couple of nights in the icebox will meld flavors and condense things. It is going to be great by Friday.

Roo is making a pot of it this weekend at the Midbest Bash. I got him some fresh green chilies from Hatch. Can't wait. :-D

Roo is making a pot of it this weekend at the Midbest Bash. I got him some fresh green chilies from Hatch. Can't wait. :-D

If anyone from STL is going, let me know and I'll load you up with home grown tomatillo's

Thats what i did when i made a batch a few weeks back. I also added a dollup? of sour cream on top after the cheese. I always do it that way with a white chile that i make, but use shredded monterey jack. I think the just the jack cheese would be better than the blend. Gotta have the tortillas.

Paul

9.jpg

You might try this too, it's a cross between sweet cream and sour cream, tons of uses. I get it at WalMart. Click HERE to get the full description and example recipes that use it.

Thanks, Wayne. I'm hoping that a couple of nights in the icebox will meld flavors and condense things. It is going to be great by Friday.

I think we should just go ahead and declare you the winner.....:biggrin:

DSC06221JPGajpgx.jpg

I woke up hungry for green chili & couldn't wait for lunch....​

GO PLOWBOY!! Good luck in the contest.​

I didn't place in the top three. It was a little too thin and people don't know what to think about green chili, I guess. It was great, IMHO. Perfect amount of heat.

Attachments

• green chili 015 [640x480].JPG
    green chili 015 [640x480].JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 63
I didn't place in the top three. It was a little too thin and people don't know what to think about green chili, I guess. It was great, IMHO. Perfect amount of heat.

That looks good to me.....But folks will shy away from green if they are not chileheads. I remember a story from Julie Applegate after they made some for a neighborhood contest in Michigan; from what I recall, a gal was giving advance warning to the people in the serving line about staying clear of the "hot green" chili.

I modified the recipe this week, because I used some pulled pork for the meat instead of ground pork. I used the same way of seasoning the meat in the oven and created a crust and it worked perfect!!!! The night I made it it was alittle hot, but the next day the balance was perfect. I made a 1/2 batch, because of what I had left over for pork. Ill take some pics if someone wants some. I will say it tasted great.

Looks great to me. Like you said, some people have a perception of what chili should be.

Well, Roo made a 20-serrano batch of the stuff at the bash last night and that was some atomic chit! Come to think of it this morning it was, too... 8-O. It was so hot Tom had to add three cups of milk before regular folk would eat it!

Great recipe!

Well, Roo made a 20-serrano batch of the stuff at the bash last night and that was some atomic chit! Come to think of it this morning it was, too... 8-O. It was so hot Tom had to add three cups of milk before regular folk would eat it!

Great recipe!

:lol: I used six serranos and that was hot. It mellows as it rests. The first day, it was nice hot. Two days later it was medium. The last bit today on green chili dogs is mild. Hardly any heat. Those tomatillos seem to sweeten up and balance out the heat.

Great recipe!

Holy moly - made the jar of hell taste like baby food.

I have to say Tom's batch wasnt so bad... you didnt even taste the 2nd 10 Serranos... your mouth was already a wasteland by then!!!

Seriously, the flavors were great in there, it was a little hot, but it was a nice even heat and you could still get the layers of flavor in there... good stuff!!!

And now, a day and a half later... Anyone know a good proctologist? :shock:

Brother Dave, better known as Rookie 48, had proven himself to have stainless steel guts. Farker ate 2 1/2 bowls of the HOT version of that chili, and just shrugged it off. Dave, you ARE the man. :eusa_clap

Back