THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleebus makes a great point here. My Cookshack FEC-100 is completely insulated and burns less than one pound of pellets per hour at 225 degrees. I have had it really loaded down with eight Turkeys or sixteen Pork Butts, and while my overall cook time increased, my burn rate of pellets was still less than one pound per hour.

On the Yoder Facebook page there was a recent discussion of the YS 1500 burning through 40 pounds of pellets in 10 - 12 hours in cold weather. Doesn't matter that the Yoder is 1/4" steel if it's not insulated. I always wondered who was buying a pallet of pellets at a time!
I could be wrong because I have not seen an FEC100 and their web site does not show the box dimensions. The FEC100 is an upright box smoker.

The 1500 is more grill like. I’m thinking the YS1500 may be larger, in cubic inches, in the pit box. The 1500 may have less or similar shelf area but, because it is oval or round, may have more space and the extra air space still needs to be heated.

On my first smoke with the YS480, with an air temp on about 35F, I was surprised at how few pellets it burned per hour.

Alright...now I’m want’n some of those!

Well I let my sister in law try them and she said the smoke flavor was outstanding. I’m cooking for her wedding next week so I guess I’m sticking with the hickory pellets for the pulled pork.

I like the LJ Apple best, for pork, but I use Hickory as well. Those really are nice looking CSRs. All I want is that little piece that's hanging off the side...:wink:

Real late night pork butt just hit stall so I upped the temp and added more pellets to the poopers poop shoot.

Attachments

• 20181222_232242.jpg
    20181222_232242.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 192
Smoked for 5 hours at 200 deg. The csr’s turned out good. I wish I would have used applewood or something lighter. The hickory was a little too smoky

Every 5 degrees you raise the temp burns a little cleaner and shortens the cook/time in the smoke. 225 probably would have made you happier than changing the pellets. Although I DO love messing around with different pellets. But..... that's fun in cooking. A little bit of this and little bit of that. :grin:

Some Rib MAKtion

Z8RCAdG.jpg

txlLEen.jpg

Done indirect. Got a hand it to grill grates. They do work! The intense infrared heat and radiant heat created by the holes and valleys definitely does the job. Notice the browning between the sear marks.

Last edited:
Done indirect. Got a hand it to grill grates. They do work! The intense infrared heat and radiant heat created by the holes and valleys definitely does the job. Notice the browning between the sear marks.

That was done on the MAK alone? If yes, I am really impressed! I usually use my kettle in conjunction w/ my MAK for those kind of searing results. Details? Reverse sear? Straight up hot grilling? Rub applied to steaks?

That was done on the MAK alone? If yes, I am really impressed! I usually use my kettle in conjunction w/ my MAK for those kind of searing results. Details? Reverse sear? Straight up hot grilling? Rub applied to steaks?

Yes! Done indirect on the Mak at about 475 deg average. It was about 1.5-2 min sear then rotate 1.5-2 min sear then flip and repeat so 3-4 min per side. Cooked medium rare. I used Weber chop seasoning and just a little sprinkle of bbq rub on both sides to keep from burning the steak. I think the browning between the sear marks comes from the radiant heat coming from the hot valleys just an inch below the meat as well as the infrared heat that is concentrated and driven up through the holes.

Last edited:
Both are damn close to me. I think the top one looks a little better

Lol I just realized you meant the two separate pics. I was trying to differentiate between the two steaks in the bottom pic[emoji3]

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First chuck eyes (my favorite steak) on the DB...

With a set of grill grates these things would be really good! Gotta order them tonight!

I think the line of Weber’s on the patio is in real danger...

First chuck eyes (my favorite steak) on the DB...

With a set of grill grates these things would be really good! Gotta order them tonight!

I think the line of Weber’s on the patio is in real danger...

They really make a huge difference

I’ve had my YS480 for one week. Smoke sessions 2 and 3 were ribs on Christmas Eve and turkey breasts for Christmas Day. Everyone is gone and all picked up. Here are the results of the Yoder.

Attachments

• F70E3AA8-90DF-449C-ACD0-EAA020146C9F.jpg
    F70E3AA8-90DF-449C-ACD0-EAA020146C9F.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 83117B69-61C0-45CD-A890-F025DC28DEBC.jpg
    83117B69-61C0-45CD-A890-F025DC28DEBC.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 147
  • 8935714D-7A43-4E7B-8D4C-A06FE0CA6994.jpg
    8935714D-7A43-4E7B-8D4C-A06FE0CA6994.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 3A0C32A1-AC54-4B81-93E2-E3382DF85ADE.jpg
    3A0C32A1-AC54-4B81-93E2-E3382DF85ADE.jpg