THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prime Rib on the 1 Star. Everyone loved it.
1d0d30bd7b56192a806891640d9f0f6c.jpg
dcf8c07b9e54313f844c85aa8de1394c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks really tender! What grade of beef was it?

Prime baby!
More well done than I like but still very juicy. I wanted to pull it at 125 but my chef brother in law said 130. Who am I to argue? Should’ve pulled at 125.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't get to do much over Christmas, just some wings for an appetizer today. Used an Applewood rub, and tossed with honey-bbq sauce since most of the family doesn't like a lot of heat.

roJQ4IIdaZXYAeDXldCKbZEOzatOuImhQ-CWUa2bSwCMLoYKsOkzhq2yJFHvJy_NIz_1lptsGzW7kkPXP6FSIix-JxWK-0gTI43hnMQUIVx29NOwfTqi8n24b-wQk3SZJ_8_es8St8ZEiWjPkLfLFMJvEJ67G00ZPWZdLLlsp_Qb65qvNm8VlZGOzpE23ubmVd5X3XDvsiLmN5bc9-_NXPQO8YN7xHiVtAtwA8iGXJin6F45R9dw-2hkZsWo5CKQEuYB7kKV9vjZCSijdJ4m1jVq47SBxPENCraJtbQm9SNwXS8ds0dC56rQ8rmwoEpi1VAOsxqgYbZk6Ff0NOm5tB290bzd8HaigyLRLFGNJbh7puD57eSbY5r9q0-OHeoWWVlnBiHqVpUDFGbHyTeBgD_q0NqHX3DLpdDQTQu4GO1CsKvyfP6JpcmbZ0-LiLhUti2ff4FURWXZR-BbKXPJBleKP_ukvJUWB6AbSAZ4ENPXkUSNlC0jdgWEuhbdX2tTy4KW88O_RI0RdKYngCCYYNnqBjp1MvAxSOtxcFKVg6ZWMxDnVnIz7wfJxLfSyw5SLTdNvVvnvtPDffPS3LKOpptA_UtqyYVPGgi6XhzYWzXiKDW42h0BQneC6Ioolew8bGdDDRwPyymQnDbTk2ntnAgONQ=w715-h953-no

l4X2Y9la8zuO0-q6glHBl4Apb7JUVpcaPNiw8lBRUHL4AFycllmENFBriRLLTmVdeIsoe2Znkjje-f3YV6QtLAexIMcqhoS5BYycpQKJbdpZg40K8bFQrVSo-TZW2Ss-11uyraMJpd_OoOA-QC_plizXxUxpUCS8KUAch269UJwlHOOmNZNH6b9XpRURc-L_qPyCXKtZIW332gpC0oAKa4yBxnhGlu5OIqG8P0weERX9drLesfGAo99YnJqgeDMd4Qqkz_NlbZOvLisO83I5jeq1LP4i6cbUsEHXRB16t7hJRX8LB6d1TCHOS0Z1CxlrCNyXlkEq_Jf67d_jsNt-lK-RJg1hbX5YyK69J9I9-J4x-MKoA4FX9_pZWGuiawdnxDyxY7wu3Rj69Pb92IM-JW1l84fwf2oRX9qgp6D_xaAJ5lckfAIJSGlLW-V3vPLUMHTpeVQiA9vtEHRKpG-uhuCEUfi7SqQ3Cgel0w9awWHDw7DbwwmwujIrx03T2hic0NtBU1Yt9wcf1xYYj_DUVRDgD3-w_kREjuw2hBTiAxlywE9Xgw5aMRZ2lFZcaPB5ikfLW6jSLYRNQmb4lxZ3fmx5kE8pnavCzWeYKj604gAj32MedSqvu27ML7heqcD3n4um0CDAx3HurKfQ6ZqbtPnWVA=w1270-h953-no

OAux3ltpgYK4xW4u_sx6ec-pIl4TnicBiPDpdZwcxIxiC3YeZ5BP5a5fyg0NquREm95mUhy-drT8GWVtixdfu7ADfoFUlcbln9WriGKGFLDXkFRqNaPIOqPwU14aLE1nzhwgbTC-lAx3ACpTgNSsECccXc-_fx0ELGNeuh7tX0YsO08pviuCf3oVTTe_ZbE9pYdPUD33T5fmKdVqrwTkhf-V4F5S4Lzcev-cTafzcmczyNL_5zOCw9pCf2aqLZ1xkuLYattJFR9eThQpyBc2haTuPOrIqBLbmjPlayp96haAZLx-xay7HcmXf5t1H6An0CyjfgiB_HBobxNNvhXV9E7FQ8WojVHjod2ZECQ1QwI8NTSCi3s1WF5jj19_nzgMwfBitDpoFFLz-5X6JWKo0VnDr0wwHONdvBRNrLGvclwxTxSfowrjyms1JZ1U4ioYVirOTGa32Lbmw4KBxBNCnIO3WjS862JnDWpr2nevWtxfYwkOf3CzL2t5h5JmwEYUkdbmzxjsAdLwQG15PV-k1EP1EubQN1WFaWS9iPekimKwAtT7Hro0ZIrG0dPLXwGgyLyV6ERVm-d4cTEmX8-4AN_isbbWMpRvlFnIpvGDD7L5dzujf9-nNirWB5ecjlw31gjTzo2bd9I0q-jl94v7KAnoNg=w715-h953-no

I prefer 130 for my roasts. 125 is for steaks.

I did a 9.5 lbs bone-in on my pit boss. I do one every year for Christmas, usually in the oven and sear on a grill at the end. I seared it at the end but honestly didn't have to it had enough crust on it.

the girlfriend got me a cover for my pellet cooker as well as a remote thermometer. I quit using the maverick and gave it away. i wanted a new one as I dont trust pellets enough and an alarm would good back up

Did a turkey on Sunday. It was the best I’ve ever done. It was the first time I ever used a digital probe. The dual probe on the Rec Tec worked great and I was impressed at how solid it held temperature. I set it to 300 and it hardly moved from there. I’ve included a screen shot of the app with the temp history.

Tony.

Attachments

• 708FCEE4-94A0-4E10-A2FA-892A6C3192C2.jpg
    708FCEE4-94A0-4E10-A2FA-892A6C3192C2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 8F474F28-66F3-4E55-B321-EDCA4192DE44.jpg
    8F474F28-66F3-4E55-B321-EDCA4192DE44.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 183
Did a turkey on Sunday. It was the best I’ve ever done. It was the first time I ever used a digital probe. The dual probe on the Rec Tec worked great and I was impressed at how solid it held temperature. I set it to 300 and it hardly moved from there. I’ve included a screen shot of the app with the temp history.

Tony.

Looks great! What made it the best turkey you’ve ever done? Overall flavor? Moisture? Skin? All of the above?

I’ve been smoking turkeys for 7 years. This year I was able to monitor the dark and white meat temps simultaneously and remotely with the app and knew exactly when it was done.

While in past years, my white meat was always moist, this year, it was even more moist.. especially at the base. When I cut down to the deeper layer, the white meat was indescribably moist. This was my son in law’s first time eating turkey with us and his facial expression was priceless. He’s never tasted turkey that good and never tasted white meat that wasn’t dry. The dark meat was just as phenomenal.

This was also the first time I spatchcocked the turkey and it was also the smallest; a 9 pounder.

Tony.

I'm still considering a pid controller for my pit boss. well not considering, I'm gonna get one, just want to get the right one and really dont want to spend unneeded money on more than I need. I only have $200 into the cooker

the Savannah stoker seems like the Cadillac of controllers but also seems techy with a need for programming and a learning curve?

I've been seeing folks get the rec tec controller. its $80 less than the Savannah and wifi. :noidea:

what's up with smoke daddy controller?

what do yall think?

the wifi option seems cool with the rectec. the Savannah has an auto relight, is that a game changer?

my main goal is to ensure I dont get flameouts, I can live with some temp swings and bells & whistles are nice but the cooker going out midcook and needing to be brokedown, cleaned and relit is a deal breaker.

I'm still considering a pid controller for my pit boss. well not considering, I'm gonna get one, just want to get the right one and really dont want to spend unneeded money on more than I need. I only have $200 into the cooker

the Savannah stoker seems like the Cadillac of controllers but also seems techy with a need for programming and a learning curve?

I've been seeing folks get the rec tec controller. its $80 less than the Savannah and wifi. :noidea:

what do yall think?

the wifi option seems cool with the rectec. the Savannah has an auto relight, is that a game changer?

my main goal is to ensure I dont get flameouts, I can live with some temp swings and bells & whistles are nice but the cooker going out midcook and needing to be brokedown, cleaned and relit is a deal breaker.

Which Pit Boss do you have? I have the 820 and the SmokeDaddy just never worked for me. I went through 2 controllers, a new fan, and a new motor, before I just sent it all back and went back to stock. They said theirs wasn't tested with my size of smoker, and blamed that.

I've only had flameouts a few times. I realized those were when I had run it through several cooks without cleaning it. Now I'm more diligent, I think the burn put was just getting too built up with soot and didn't have room to work properly, in my case at least.

I always cook a breakfast casserole Christmas morning so this year I cooked it on the Daniel Boone.

Ingredients. I put salt in the picture, but I used seasoned salt.

46422875702_d98e8dff78_z_d.jpg

Mixed and ready and in the DB.

44656946930_569a39d054_z_d.jpg

Finished product.

46473857081_6e90ebf708_z_d.jpg

My plate.

46423006902_05eb766455_z_d.jpg

It was a big hit! Can't compare to previous years because my taste buds don't remember that far back, but everyone else swore it was the best they remembered.

It's funny that I feel like posting pics whenever I get a new smoker. The newness of the DB hasn't worn off yet. Happy New Year to all you pooper owners!

Last edited:

what do yall think?

The Savannah seems like the best all around and I think they have an adapter kit just for the Pit Boss, I also read that they would be adding wifi in 2019, so that is also something to consider. You should give them a call.

Which Pit Boss do you have? I have the 820 and the SmokeDaddy just never worked for me. I went through 2 controllers, a new fan, and a new motor, before I just sent it all back and went back to stock. They said theirs wasn't tested with my size of smoker, and blamed that.

I've only had flameouts a few times. I realized those were when I had run it through several cooks without cleaning it. Now I'm more diligent, I think the burn put was just getting too built up with soot and didn't have room to work properly, in my case at least.

The Savannah seems like the best all around and I think they have an adapter kit just for the Pit Boss, I also read that they would be adding wifi in 2019, so that is also something to consider. You should give them a call.

I have the classic. its the Walmart equivalent of the 700 I believe. the Savannah gets alot of hype I just dont know if I need that much in a controller. I've seen several ways to mount them. the stupid controller on the pit boss is in landscape, most are oriented in portrait.

what do yall think?

I don't know how the Smoke Daddy works on your grill but it does have the auto re-light feature. It runs the startup cycle if the temp drops below 130.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have the classic. its the Walmart equivalent of the 700 I believe. the Savannah gets alot of hype I just dont know if I need that much in a controller. I've seen several ways to mount them. the stupid controller on the pit boss is in landscape, most are oriented in portrait.
If I needed to upgrade controllers (which I won't) it would be the Savannah, programable and adjustable fan speed as well. One of the big things I think helps the MAK lay down a good smoke profile is it changes fan speed based on the programed temp. The Savannah doesn't do that but you can pre program fan speed and it's not that hard.

So I’m fixing to order a flame zone for the Mak 1 star. I’m not expecting super blow your socks off searing btw. I’m more getting it for the fuel efficiency, heat up time, more smoke production, higher temps, etc.

Back