The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Got a cheap 4x6 welding blanket I plan on using with my GMG Daniel Boone this winter but I'm not sure about the best way to do it. I know lots of you guys do this; any advice? Pics would be great.

Did some applewood smoked sausages. Man they are good! I cooked up my wife some spaghetti with Italian sausage meatballs. The low carb diet can suck at times.
Have you done it before? I did it last year and lost 70lbs. Went off the diet and it all came back. Unless you plan on keeping good to the diet the rest of your life, the weight will come back. I also work with guys that do the low carb thing and the same thing. They lose it and it is right back.

Have you done it before? I did it last year and lost 70lbs. Went off the diet and it all came back. Unless you plan on keeping good to the diet the rest of your life, the weight will come back. I also work with guys that do the low carb thing and the same thing. They lose it and it is right back.

Yes it helped me lose 60 pounds and now I’m just maintaining. It’s been 1.5 years since losing and I’ve maintained it all. I just have more cheat days now. It’s nice to see your abs lol

Compart Duroc Baby Backs on the 1 Star. Absolutely the finest ribs I’ve ever cooked.

58b8ac4fbc337c58d2e507bc6a0ddf54.jpg
9c9cc0468e46a4d73b7f984cf83905a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I screwed up a little and cooked them medium instead of medium rare. Oh well.
I reverse seared some sirloin at 200 deg for smoke until 115 deg internal then seared in a hot pan with butter on the stove top to what I measured 130 deg. Could they have carried over to 140 deg? Anyway reverse sear is the bomb. I got a ton of smoke on the steak. Maybe even a lil too much for my taste but all clean flavors.

Last edited:
So I screwed up a little and cooked them medium instead of medium rare. Oh well.
I reverse seared some sirloin at 200 deg for smoke until 115 deg internal then seared in a hot pan with butter on the stove top to what I measured 130 deg. Could they have carried over to 140 deg? Anyway reverse sear is the bomb. I got a ton of smoke on the steak. Maybe even a lil too much for my taste but all clean flavors.

YUM! Clarified butter in a CI pan is a killer way to sear off a steak... BUT the mess and smoke... oh my! I do all of my searing, whatever the method, outside. I hate cleaning up the splatter in the kitchen and listening to everyone complain they can’t breathe... lol.

YUM! Clarified butter in a CI pan is a killer way to sear off a steak... BUT the mess and smoke... oh my! I do all of my searing, whatever the method, outside. I hate cleaning up the splatter in the kitchen and listening to everyone complain they can’t breathe... lol.

That’s the only downside. I have the door open right now lol.

So first time cooking at 200 deg. It seems the smoke output is the same at 200 deg as it is 170 deg on smoke. I would imagine if you cook 200 deg straight through smoke flavor would be pretty intense. I could only imagine doing that for ribs, sausage, and maybe reverse sears. It would take too long and dry the meat out for thicker cuts I think

That’s the only downside. I have the door open right now lol.

So first time cooking at 200 deg. It seems the smoke output is the same at 200 deg as it is 170 deg on smoke. I would imagine if you cook 200 deg straight through smoke flavor would be pretty intense. I could only imagine doing that for ribs, sausage, and maybe reverse sears. It would take too long and dry the meat out for thicker cuts I think

One thing to keep in mind. On the MAK, I find that the upper grate runs about 25° hotter than the main grate. I smoke most things at 210° (Pellet Boss set temp), which gives me about 235° on the full upper grate. Lower set temp = more smoke WHILE still being able to cook at a reasonable low n slow temp on the upper grate. Works well for me :)

One thing to keep in mind. On the MAK, I find that the upper grate runs about 25° hotter than the main grate. I smoke most things at 210° (Pellet Boss set temp), which gives me about 235° on the full upper grate. Lower set temp = more smoke WHILE still being able to cook at a reasonable low n slow temp on the upper grate. Works well for me :)

You’re a genius.... I didn’t think about that. This thing is definitely a smoking machine then.

My new Yoder 480 was delivered yesterday, Sunday. I did the burn-in right away and then put on a practice turkey breast. I got a pic of the turkey when I started cooking but was so hungry I forgot to take a picture when it was done. The last pic is the fire to keep me warm with a drink and a cigar while it cooked.

Attachments

• 3EB42905-CCCA-44DF-8935-480DDBA53858.jpg
    3EB42905-CCCA-44DF-8935-480DDBA53858.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 600A4FC3-EC6F-46DF-B395-11CDB81E8A5F.jpg
    600A4FC3-EC6F-46DF-B395-11CDB81E8A5F.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 863B6E6E-EBC4-4A37-8D71-B1316CF1557B.jpg
    863B6E6E-EBC4-4A37-8D71-B1316CF1557B.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 164
  • DDA12339-19F9-45A2-B84D-E9C014CF45EA.jpg
    DDA12339-19F9-45A2-B84D-E9C014CF45EA.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 164
  • F55B3127-2FD1-4700-9115-981140BFE3BD.jpg
    F55B3127-2FD1-4700-9115-981140BFE3BD.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 166
My new Yoder 480 was delivered yesterday, Sunday. I did the burn-in right away and then put on a practice turkey breast. I got a pic of the turkey when I started cooking but was so hungry I forgot to take a picture when it was done. The last pic is the fire to keep me warm with a drink and a cigar while it cooked.

Off to what appears to be a great start! What were your initial thoughts re: the cooker itself and the turkey?

Off to what appears to be a great start! What were your initial thoughts re: the cooker itself and the turkey?

At first my wife wasn’t reall happy with my expensive Christmas present. However, after eating the turkey she realized she can get payback by passing off a lot of cooking to me, especially big stuff.

It worked great. Very simple, it is nice not having to baby sit it. I have done limited smoking on my gas Weber for many years. Turkey breasts, roasts, brisket and ribs. On the gas grill I couldn’t keep the temp low enough so I would cut the gas and just let it cook by the heat in the grill. Then light it for a bit and then off again. It was a pain in the arse.

I Brined the turkey breast in kosher salt, cracked pepper, brown sugar, rosemary, dried mustard, basil, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce. Then applied olive oil for basting every hour or so. I used a 50/50 blend of apple and cherry Lumberjack pellets. I used an A-maze-n smoke tube.

I also picked up one of the FireBoard temperature kits. That worked very well. I used another ambient sensor to double check the pit temp and one meat probe. It sends the readings via WiFi to their cloud storage and it sends vis Bluetooth to my iPhone. If I leave home, I get readings sent sent to my phone through the app. They send alerts to my phone via the app, SMS texts and email. You can do something around the house and the SMS text can alert you and tell you the current status. I really like it but I’m kind of a gadget guy.

The turkey came out a nice golden brown. It was very moist and tender.

For thanksgiving I picked up a whole smoked turkey and, even if I say so myself, Mt turkey breast beat the local BBQ place. Mine was much more flavorful and moist. Normally, I love their ribs so I was excited to get a smoked turkey from them.

The thanksgiving experience took me over the edge to get my own smoker. So now I’m going to do ribs on Christmas Eve and 2 large turkey breasts for Christmas Day.

@Joshw, I did get the cover. It was dark by the time it cooled down and it was still easy to put on.

Because the ground is frozen, the end of the cart with the caster wheels was really slanted downhill. It get it more level, I put a hockey puck Unser each caster wheel and it is pretty level. After all, what good Minnesota guy wouldn’t have a couple of spare hockey pucks around the house?

Back