The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Alright guys, I have a Boston on the MAK 2 Star right now and I am having an unusual stall? It has been bouncing around 190-196 for about hour. I put two on, the one is done and in the cooler, however the other is going up and down LOL. What is with it? I cooked one on the top rack and the other on the bottom and found the top rack cooked allot faster. I was going to reverse them, but I decided to just pull the rack out and let them go on the bottom and would just add time to the other if needed. Puled the rack because I wrapped at 160 and wanted room for checking temps and pulling them out. I did not expect this, I have seen stalls, but never reverse stalls? I actually brought the temp up to 300 to finish this thing off. I ran it at 225 the entire cook off, but enough is enough!! Anybody ever see this?

Last edited:
Well after reading this thread and several others and researching for several weeks I broke down and ordered an Assassin Pellet Grill today. Should arrive in about 5 weeks.
Awesome, congrats! I was looking at the Assassin myself. I actually found that grill in the tail end of my pellet search. I was hellbent on getting an Assassin 36 Charcoal grill, but never new they were in the pellet business. With a year of searching I pretty much landed on the MAK 2 Star. I am very interested in feedback from the Assassin though. Will come a day to replace the MAK, always keeping an eye out for the next best grill!

Some prime ribeye centers and a filllet or 2...the sear was indirect and about a minute per rotation

a42bd837560dd92cb454dd87ec1e73e6.jpg

f4f98040e5fc48490ec7148dd92437ff.jpg

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats!! Very nice :)

Initial impressions?
Initial impressions have been good so far. I did a pork butt the other day that came out great. This weekend I'll be doing a couple of briskets. I love the controller on this thing...the ability to set different step intervals is fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Happy Labor Day! Breaking in my new Pit Boss Austin XL this fine holiday weekend and so far very happy with the results.

One question I have so far is that it seems to produce big clouds of "dirty" smoke periodically. I'm assuming this is during each pellet addition. This really only lasts a handful of seconds and then settings into clean whispy blue smoke. Wondering if there this is a function of the P setting, or the pellets? I'm getting ready to order some CookinPellets, but could only get the Pit Boss pellets locally before the weekend.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I tried searching without much luck.

:)

I am curious what pellet flavor you guys like for Ribs? I have been using Apple for all my pork lately. Previously I was using a 70/30 Hickory and Cherry mix. Have never used Pecan. I have a bag out there and though of using it today. Doing some Labor Day ribs today.

Hope everybody enjoys their Labor Day. Sit back relax and fire up those smokers!

Hope this counts.... rubbed in Carne Crosta. Smoked in Traeger at 225 for just over an hour to hit about 125-130 temp. Rested then seared at about 800 over my PBC. About the best steak I've ever made. Really only thing holding it back is that it wasn't prime.

Third pic is wife's salmon. She doesn't do beef products. Hit with an evoo/soy/sesame oil blend and cooked at 350 in the Traeger for about 30ish minutes. She's also better about sticking to her diet, hence whipped cauliflower vs my hatch twice baked spud
87ba7464a4d574521fada43ae5dbcec3.jpg
f5bbf7ececff2343060b6e9cec64126a.jpg
97ac5c99620bf0a17e0ab9d8cbd72871.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hi guys. I am just looking at buying a Louisiana pellet smoker. I have been smoking for about a year with varying degrees of success on my gas grill with a smoker box full of chips, or a Weber kettle set up indirect with wood chips. I have finally found a great place near where I live that sells proper smokers and almost any accessory you could dream of. I have previously had a nightmare trying to find where to buy wood.

Anyway... I have read that pellet smokers produce a bit more of a subtle smoke taste on the meet, but I am just curious how much smoke they actually produce? Will I make the whole neighbourhood smell like a forest fire for most of the day?

Dave

Hi guys. I am just looking at buying a Louisiana pellet smoker. I have been smoking for about a year with varying degrees of success on my gas grill with a smoker box full of chips, or a Weber kettle set up indirect with wood chips. I have finally found a great place near where I live that sells proper smokers and almost any accessory you could dream of. I have previously had a nightmare trying to find where to buy wood.

Anyway... I have read that pellet smokers produce a bit more of a subtle smoke taste on the meet, but I am just curious how much smoke they actually produce? Will I make the whole neighbourhood smell like a forest fire for most of the day?

Dave

They produce a light, clean and very pleasant tasting smoke (IMO). As far as the neighborhood, the smell is intoxicating. Pellet smoke is unique.

subtle smoke flavor yes and great tasting food, not a forest fire but the neighborhood will smell glorious

Dave

I have a MAK. We live in a typical NorCal neighborhood. On smoke setting, there's enough smoke produced that I warn my neighbor on the side that the breeze usually blows. Sometimes I hope that no one mistakes it for a house fire. 220 and higher, it's not much of an issue. If I see that the neighbor is getting a lot of smoke, I make sure to take some of the Q over to them.
As for flavor, each cooker is different depending on how the controller is programmed. GMG produces a light smoke flavor, while the MAK produces a much heavier smoke flavor, much like my Primo ceramic, with coals and chunks.
Hope this helps.

I have a MAK. We live in a typical NorCal neighborhood. On smoke setting, there's enough smoke produced that I warn my neighbor on the side that the breeze usually blows. Sometimes I hope that no one mistakes it for a house fire. 220 and higher, it's not much of an issue. If I see that the neighbor is getting a lot of smoke, I make sure to take some of the Q over to them.
As for flavor, each cooker is different depending on how the controller is programmed. GMG produces a light smoke flavor, while the MAK produces a much heavier smoke flavor, much like my Primo ceramic, with coals and chunks.
Hope this helps.
Should also be mentioned that the software can be updated. They do make changes it to periodically.

I am curious what pellet flavor you guys like for Ribs? I have been using Apple for all my pork lately. Previously I was using a 70/30 Hickory and Cherry mix. Have never used Pecan. I have a bag out there and though of using it today. Doing some Labor Day ribs today.

Hope everybody enjoys their Labor Day. Sit back relax and fire up those smokers!

I have been using Apple as well. I do "dry ribs" and the flavor is really good!

Please give us a detailed review of it when it arrives...been looking for good info on this unit for a while.

I've had an Assassin Pellet Grill since late May and am willing to answer any questions you might have. I should probably update my initial thread about it with a post-summer update, but other things (i.e. life) kept getting in the way of doing long cooks.

-John

I've had an Assassin Pellet Grill since late May and am willing to answer any questions you might have. I should probably update my initial thread about it with a post-summer update, but other things (i.e. life) kept getting in the way of doing long cooks.

-John

Please. I am very close to ordering one with a nearly identical blue door.

-John

John please update. Your one of the main reasons I ordered mine.

I am looking at the Assassin pellet grill as well. I would like to hear about your experience with it. I had a Traeger Pro 34 for about a year but sold it a couple of weeks ago and was looking at the Yoder YS640 and the Pitts and Spitts Mav 1250. When I called All Things BBQ about the Yoder they said that the Yoder uses about 2 lbs per hour of pellets that got them out of my interest. I really like the Pitts and Spitts but since it is made here in Texas I would have to add 8.25% sales tax as well as the drive to pick it up so I would be into it for almost $2750. The price is higher than I want to spend. I found the Assassin and it checks most of the boxes, price, capacity, controller.

If the amount of pellets used is a concern a pellet grill might not be for you,as temps drop the usage will increase ,as any thing else the more company's that get into producing them the price wars will benefit the users lol,mine will run 1-2 lbs per hr depending at what temp is set. Within the next month temps will hit 30 or so on some nites and will see how mine does,also mine will hold 31 lbs of pellets and if you like sleeping at nite a large hopper is needed

Back