THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you buy pellets at the right prices you are talking about a difference of about $4-6 dollars per 8 hr cook going from 1-2 lbs per hour of consumption. If you are looking at high end pellet grills I’m not sure why that would play a part in the decision.

It's part of what I do for a living, cost analysis and purchasing. If I can buy a pellet grill that uses 1 lb per hour vs a pellet grill that uses 2 lbs per hour then I buy the more efficient unit taking in the expected life of each grill. If my kitchen at work needs a double stack convection oven I take into account the energy usage as well as purchase price. When recently I bought new compressor and condenser for the walk in freezer at work I paid more for the equipment due to the energy usage with the cheaper equipment was higher compared to the energy costs of the more expensive equipment over the life of the equipment. So as to a pellet grill if I can buy a pellet grill that uses 1 pound per hour of pellets vs a pellet grill that uses twice as much at 2 pounds per with all other things being relatively equal I will buy the more efficient unit every time.

It's part of what I do for a living, cost analysis and purchasing. If I can buy a pellet grill that uses 1 lb per hour vs a pellet grill that uses 2 lbs per hour then I buy the more efficient unit taking in the expected life of each grill. If my kitchen at work needs a double stack convection oven I take into account the energy usage as well as purchase price. When recently I bought new compressor and condenser for the walk in freezer at work I paid more for the equipment due to the energy usage with the cheaper equipment was higher compared to the energy costs of the more expensive equipment over the life of the equipment. So as to a pellet grill if I can buy a pellet grill that uses 1 pound per hour of pellets vs a pellet grill that uses twice as much at 2 pounds per with all other things being relatively equal I will buy the more efficient unit every time.

Follow up question on this. Are there any pellet grills out there that have been tested that burn twice as many or half as many pellets than another? And, is it worth the extra cost? For example, Traeger costs twice what a GMG does, but I don't hear it's any more efficient. So, why buy a Traeger unless you want to pay for their marketing campaign and sales force? Is it really that much better of a grill? With that said, we are in a market where "premium" is cool and people pay for it. Look at Yeti, that's what Traeger is clearly trying to mimic and it's working.

FWIW, I've gotten my GMG Daniel Boone pretty efficient at this point with adding Nomex gasket around the lid and the thermal blanket in the winter.

Problem is, and I maybe wrong on this, but from what I understand, the grills that run on more efficient programs, tend to put out less smoke and less smoke flavor. Those like the MAK, are programmed to put out more smoke, but use more pellets. I had a GMG that was very efficient, however the smoke flavor was extremely light, almost nonexistent and was not to my liking. My MAK produces a flavor similar my coal and lump ceramic, but does use the pellets. For the flavor, that's OK with me.

I guess 2 different ways to look at things. To me the cost of fuel over time is insignificant if I’m cooking on the smoker that is exactly what I want

I sold my Traeger because of constant flame outs due to the controller. The Traeger put out some great meals and I never had a problem with smoke once I got to know it. I'm not bashing Yoder at all, I may still buy one, I just think taking everything to account is the smart way to buy anything. Anyway it really comes down to ones preferences and it is nice to have competition within the market.

Those like the MAK, are programmed to put out more smoke, but use more pellets.
Your assumption with the MAK is dead wrong, especially when using the Flame Zone insert. MAK unlike other PGs changes fan speed which creates more or less smoke.

Smoke setting (180) to 245 = 60% of fan speed.
250 to 295 = 80% fan speed
300 and up = 100% fan speed

I use a combo of programed cooks under 245 for meats I want to smoke and I'm easily well under a pound of pellets per hour.

Smoke Therm Receiver Stand?

Just got the Smoke therm. I'm not going to use the lanyard, but I would like to have some kind of stand for the receiver, so that I can set it on tables and such, but still have it visible from around the room. My old Maverick has a flip out stand that works great. I'd really something like that for the Smoke receiver. Anyone ever seen one?

I've been enjoying the traeger tailgater that I picked up. I have done 2 long cooks and had flameouts both times. is this a problem with the tailgater (smaller models) or maybe the controller? temps are all over the place so I imagine a better one could help.

I can live with the swings but if I get a flameout risk on every long cook it may be a deal breaker

Heard you say that before Ninja, I never had one and I don't know the cause but it couldn't take too much more of that either.

Just got the Smoke therm. I'm not going to use the lanyard, but I would like to have some kind of stand for the receiver, so that I can set it on tables and such, but still have it visible from around the room. My old Maverick has a flip out stand that works great. I'd really something like that for the Smoke receiver. Anyone ever seen one?

Thermoworks sells a stand for it.

Just saw that. I couldn't find it when I got the Smoke, but found it while doing a search for Smoke stands. I also found some cell phone stands that can be attached and folded up while stored.

Alright, I'll try to update it this weekend.

I'm interested in hearing about temp stability and the consistency of temp throughout the smoker. I suspect it does fine, but at that level of cash, I would love a bit more confirmation.

This would be my first pellet smoker, and I need to do all I can to justify spending more on a product that is more similar than not across the market.

Heard you say that before Ninja, I never had one and I don't know the cause but it couldn't take too much more of that either.

I want to like this thing, I really do. I hear alot of folks complain about traegers controller. upgrading may help but it could just be this tiny cooker. traeger doesn't seem to get any love in this thread so that says something to me. despite this initial sour experience a nice pellet cooker with a sear zone could be the gasser I never wanted

I want to like this thing, I really do. I hear alot of folks complain about traegers controller. upgrading may help but it could just be this tiny cooker. traeger doesn't seem to get any love in this thread so that says something to me. despite this initial sour experience a nice pellet cooker with a sear zone could be the gasser I never wanted

I would look on the two pellet forums online, they have a lot of info and troubleshooting tips for Traegers of all sorts, I’m confident you’d find the info needed to get it sorted.

The stock traeger smokers are just not that good. They don’t use a PID algorithm but rather just feed pellets on a duty time basis based on set temp. You can adjust the p settings which is the auger pause time and that might help. I used to have to adjust mine every tome the season changed. I ended up changing my controller out for a savannah smoker and it is a night and day difference. It maintains set temp within 5 degrees and has an auger override for searing. It also has a built in probe display and you can program cooks on it as well

I would look on the two pellet forums online, they have a lot of info and troubleshooting tips for Traegers of all sorts, I’m confident you’d find the info needed to get it sorted.

The stock traeger smokers are just not that good. They don’t use a PID algorithm but rather just feed pellets on a duty time basis based on set temp. You can adjust the p settings which is the auger pause time and that might help. I used to have to adjust mine every tome the season changed. I ended up changing my controller out for a savannah smoker and it is a night and day difference. It maintains set temp within 5 degrees and has an auger override for searing. It also has a built in probe display and you can program cooks on it as well

this is the controller on my tailgater

it looks identical to the ortech except mine doesn't have a knob for adjusting the P setting. my question would be does the ortech function better than my stock controller other than this manual adjustment to the pause setting?

the temp swings dont bother me but I'm pretty sure that's the same issue leading to the flameouts so I guess it does.

Back