The mad scientist may have changed brisket cooking forever!

I’ll bet the flavor was excellent!! Time to trade in the MAK for a Burch Barrel?

I really like his work, but he’s only genuine as far as his paycheck or future opportunities are affected. This new Camp Chef release is a clear example, and he’ll never say anything negative about any potential sponsor. Burch Barrel has been a sponsor of his. Credibility is an issue here.

I really like his work, but he’s only genuine as far as his paycheck or future opportunities are affected. This new Camp Chef release is a clear example, and he’ll never say anything negative about any potential sponsor. Burch Barrel has been a sponsor of his. Credibility is an issue here.

I tried to point this out about Mad Scientist in this forum several months ago but I got roundly pummelled by Yoder's fan boys and I swore to stay away from the subject. To his fan boys, his credibility is beyond reproach.

I still don't understand how he attained expert status. He's attempting to be the Consumer Reports of barbecue but his bias for clicks shows.

Of course people didn't pay Jeremy Yoder to speak negatively about their product. Why would he do such a thing? Nobody who wants to get paid talks negatively to their boss, so why would Jeremy?

I think a lot of you in here are terrified of someone with an actual competency in science. The "BBQ Dogma" is being crushed and people are seeing that BBQ isn't some kind of mystic form of cooking, but instead straight science. Therefore it's easy to replicate, and doesn't require 225° for 18+ hours...also doesn't require a beer per hour to make it delicious.

@Bob C Cue, did you start this thread specifically to denigrate someone? You state you haven't even watched the video, but you post a thread about it. It seems like you're simply trying to stir the pot.

Video is pretty interesting and I've always liked the idea of a better concept for Santa Maria style cooking. I'm not going to purchase a Burchbarrel type cooker anytime soon, but I do love innovation in the BBQ world.

I tried to point this out about Mad Scientist in this forum several months ago but I got roundly pummelled by Yoder's fan boys and I swore to stay away from the subject. To his fan boys, his credibility is beyond reproach.

I still don't understand how he attained expert status. He's attempting to be the Consumer Reports of barbecue but his bias for clicks shows.

Seriously? The dude ran a BBQ catering company, and has taught BBQ classes. He has also done a ton of research and has put himself out there for the masses to see his methods. Not to mention all the appearances he has done where he has cooked for anyone and everyone around. If his food or methods were bad we'd all know about it by now.

Is anyone lined up for your cooking classes? Are companies so excited about what you're doing that they're showering you with free $5k smokers?

I've always found Jeremy to be a pretty reasonable guy, and he has even made "correction" videos as he has learned new things which are now contradicting his previous thoughts. I just can't understand why this forum is so triggered by a guy on YouTube who cooks BBQ.

Seriously? The dude ran a BBQ catering company, and has taught BBQ classes. He has also done a ton of research and has put himself out there for the masses to see his methods. Not to mention all the appearances he has done where he has cooked for anyone and everyone around. If his food or methods were bad we'd all know about it by now.

Is anyone lined up for your cooking classes? Are companies so excited about what you're doing that they're showering you with free $5k smokers?

I've always found Jeremy to be a pretty reasonable guy, and he has even made "correction" videos as he has learned new things which are now contradicting his previous thoughts. I just can't understand why this forum is so triggered by a guy on YouTube who cooks BBQ.

And here it comes again.

I'm probably missing something because I've only had offsets. But isn't what he's doing the same as a barrel smoker. If you raise the brisket so high that the cooking temp is only 225 then it's really not like direct heat (which to me implies hot direct heat).

In any case, I can't afford another smoker to try this method.

Of course people didn't pay Jeremy Yoder to speak negatively about their product. Why would he do such a thing? Nobody who wants to get paid talks negatively to their boss, so why would Jeremy?

I think a lot of you in here are terrified of someone with an actual competency in science. The "BBQ Dogma" is being crushed and people are seeing that BBQ isn't some kind of mystic form of cooking, but instead straight science. Therefore it's easy to replicate, and doesn't require 225° for 18+ hours...also doesn't require a beer per hour to make it delicious.

@Bob C Cue, did you start this thread specifically to denigrate someone? You state you haven't even watched the video, but you post a thread about it. It seems like you're simply trying to stir the pot.

Video is pretty interesting and I've always liked the idea of a better concept for Santa Maria style cooking. I'm not going to purchase a Burchbarrel type cooker anytime soon, but I do love innovation in the BBQ world.

I watched the first minute or so and thought it would ellict some good discussion. I have no dog in this fight.

I'm probably missing something because I've only had offsets. But isn't what he's doing the same as a barrel smoker. If you raise the brisket so high that the cooking temp is only 225 then it's really not like direct heat (which to me implies hot direct heat).

In any case, I can't afford another smoker to try this method.

This was my thought as well when I saw the concept of this smoker. It seems like a more complicated version of a drum or even a Chud Box. The whole concept really revolves around the fat and juices hitting the fire and vaporizing to produce additional flavors. On my offset I'll often throw trimmings in the fire when I put on a new stick for a quick burst of smoke / flavor to achieve a similar effect.

I watched the first minute or so and thought it would ellict some good discussion. I have no dog in this fight.

Textbook stirring the pot...instigator! haha

I'm really just a fan of BBQ innovation. BBQ has come a long way in a very short period and a lot of it is due to the involvement of media. This particular video wasn't outstanding in any manner, but still interesting.

I guess I should apologize to Jeremy for sending people to his video.

My original comment to you was more about this being a forum for discussion. In my opinion (so take that for what it's worth) the onus is on the thread starter to foster a discussion. Posting a video and stating you haven't watched it isn't fostering a discussion. Again, my $.02 so no worries, but either way MadScientist sure does bring out the negativity and bile in some of the "brethren."

This was my thought as well when I saw the concept of this smoker. It seems like a more complicated version of a drum or even a Chud Box. The whole concept really revolves around the fat and juices hitting the fire and vaporizing to produce additional flavors. On my offset I'll often throw trimmings in the fire when I put on a new stick for a quick burst of smoke / flavor to achieve a similar effect.

I love this idea of throwing some trimmings on the fire. I'll have to try that. Most of my trimmings go in a foil pan for rendering due to the new "wrap with tallow" craze. I ain't spending the money on a bucket of wagyu fat.

I love this idea of throwing some trimmings on the fire. I'll have to try that. Most of my trimmings go in a foil pan for rendering due to the new "wrap with tallow" craze. I ain't spending the money on a bucket of wagyu fat.

Give it a try and see how it goes...I love it and the smell is noticeable almost immediately after the trimmings hit the fire. I also render down some other trimmings for tallow as I use it in the wrap, but it's also pretty much the only fat source I use for cooking. Eggs and sausage cooked in smoked tallow is amazing! Same goes for a good ribeye seared in a cast iron of smoked tallow!

Scared in competency in science? Look I'm not here to knock the guy. I never really seen his science angle. His experiments are not special and like most YouTube heroes dont adhere very well to the scientific method. Entertaining sure, scientific? Not even a little.

Lmao..

The BBQ YouTube fan boys always amuse me.

Its WWE (WWF for the old timers) for BBQ.

Made up personalities doing made up stuff for the entertainment of others and as usual you have the few die-hards saying..

nah bro..it’s real!

giphy.gif

Back