My best brisket ever thanks to YouTube

SkaterSmoker

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
MJ
I'm not joking. Before August 1st, I had only cooked one brisket. Thanks to the tips from Jirby, mostly Jirby, and Mad Scientist, and others I learned how to prep, cook with the damper, and rest my brisket. A dozen briskets later, I feel like I can cook a hell of a brisket and had to share the knowledge I gained and make my own instructional video - I swear it's not an infomercial ala Jeremy Yoder style. It's mostly about using the damper and smoke. https://youtu.be/QClqddVHYNc

Last edited:
Twelve briskets since August? What are you paying for them? Up here in Idaho that's $100 a weekend for three months!

By the way I love how you say, "hot spot."

Haha, I've been paying $4.50 per lb for primes at Costco, so about $60 - $80 per brisket. They've recently came down in price to $3.69, I was shocked when I saw some for under $50 last weekend! Yeah, my house is sick of brisket, but I have some very happy neighbors and friends.

I grew up in Texas. You'd laugh if you heard me say "pen" or "pin." They sound the same and both have two syllables!

My sister, born and raised in west Texas like me, married a man born and raised in South Haven, Michigan. It's a hoot at Christmas when we have accent wars!

And it's all out chaos if my other brother-in-law from North Carolina shows up!!

I grew up in Texas. You'd laugh if you heard me say "pen" or "pin." They sound the same and both have two syllables!

My sister, born and raised in west Texas like me, married a man born and raised in South Haven, Michigan. It's a hoot at Christmas when we have accent wars!

And it's all out chaos if my other brother-in-law from North Carolina shows up!!

Sounds like a great time! I was totally unware of my accent until I started traveling for work. Most people guessed I was from Minnesota, which really hurt my soul.

Great video! It popped up on my Youtube yesterday and I watched it. Had no idea it was by a forum member though. Great job. Liked and subscribed :thumb:

Same here, Jirby upped my brisket game big time, if you can find the Goldee's brisket rub at your local Walmart, give it a try.

I agree! Goldee’s is finally shipping their rubs and sauce and actually just received both their rubs and sauce today. They were expensive to ship, but I had no problem contributing to his company with all the free knowledge he’s shared.

been jonesin for a brisket or ribs.....heard the wife is making a costco trip soon. If not wild fork foods it is!

great looking brisket BTW

Same here, Jirby upped my brisket game big time, if you can find the Goldee's brisket rub at your local Walmart, give it a try.

Just noticed the picture. That bark looks perfect and you can tell that’s some perfectly cooked and tender brisket!

Just noticed the picture. That bark looks perfect and you can tell that’s some perfectly cooked and tender brisket!
Appreciate the compliment. They are getting better and better every time. I'm cooking on a cheap Old Country Pecos now with all the mods I could do.
Hope to get a better smoker down the road but for now I really want a Chudbox style cooker. May just break down and get a welder and plasma cutter. I was a welder back in my early 20's so it's probably cheaper to just build everything I want.

Excellent video! Well-produced and lots of helpful information. I'd say that's on par with the big guys like Jirby, Chud, etc.

I liked and subscribed.:-D

Excellent video! Well-produced and lots of helpful information. I'd say that's on par with the big guys like Jirby, Chud, etc.

I liked and subscribed.:-D

Wow, thank you so much for the feedback! The initial motivation to make my first fire management video a few months ago was because my brother was going to borrow my pit and I wanted a guide to run the fire. I got a little carried away and made a 10 minute video with my Sony camera, but it was a fun process. This video was quickly put together on my phone and not as polished as that first one, but I wanted to get this content out there because I knew it helped me tremendously. Anyways, comments like yours make it well worth it!

Haha, I've been paying $4.50 per lb for primes at Costco, so about $60 - $80 per brisket. They've recently came down in price to $3.69, I was shocked when I saw some for under $50 last weekend! Yeah, my house is sick of brisket, but I have some very happy neighbors and friends.

That’s what it took for me to get over the hump and finally start cranking out briskets I liked consistently. I cooked one to two a week for months on end. Back then I was buying prime briskets for < $3/lb though so it wasn’t quite as much of a financial commitment as it is now.

Great videos by the way

That’s what it took for me to get over the hump and finally start cranking out briskets I liked consistently. I cooked one to two a week for months on end. Back then I was buying prime briskets for < $3/lb though so it wasn’t quite as much of a financial commitment as it is now.

Great videos by the way

Thank you! Yeah, I agree it just takes multiple cooks to get it down. In my opinion there's no one way to cook a brisket, you just have to cook a bunch to get the feel for it. They all cook differently and things always don't go as planned. Sometimes they don't cook even, so have to adjust, or sacrifice a slightly undercooked flat for a perfect point that's not over cooked.

Here's an example where the multiple brisket cooks helped me salvage a near disaster:

One brisket cook I had to end early, way early. I had to leave the house and my wife had to finish it, and I knew she wouldn’t probe it, rest it, etc. I pulled it off the pit at 175, wrapped it bp, put it in the oven at 275 with a probe. I told her once IT hit 190, stop the oven and open the door for 10 minutes, then set it to 140 and go to bed. I checked the ThermoWorks temp graph then next morning and the IT continued to climb to 195, and then took 5 hours to slowly come down to 145. The brisket tenderness turned out perfect. The fat wasn’t rendered as much as I wanted since I wrapped it early, but it was close.

Back