THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As far as forming expanded metal I used a slightly lighter gauge 3/4" metal compared to the heavier ones typically used as grates. I took a gamble when I ordered my 48 x 48 sheet (because it was cheap) from Amazon as they did not specify them by numerical gauge.
It turned out to be just the right gauge for baskets. I wouldn't use them for cooking grates though...

second this. first couple of baskets were with heavier gauge expanded. this last one was done with nice floppy stuff. easy to work with and went together easy peasy.

What Wampus said is all good. I put a loop handle on my basket and give it a good shake while its still in the barrel so all the ash and small junk sifts through the basket and into the barrel and not so much on the ground. I use a fireplace poker to lift it in and out of the barrel. Remember your basket does not have to be a work of art, its going to be inside and out of sight 99% of the time.

I think I will find a telephone pole and nail one end of my expanded metal to it and walk the metal around until bent, then wire it together after I take the nails out, then either weld it or bolt it together. Don't worry about all the extra metal you have left from the sheet you bought, lots of things will come to mind for its.
Dave

I found it's easier with a small ratcheting tie-down strap. Wear gloves! Wrestle the metal into a sorta hoop, and put a cheap little ratcheting strap to pull it in to the size you want. You can use vise grips to pull it real tight once you are close. I use a 13-1/2" diameter Weber charcoal grate for a bottom, and locate it about 3" above the bottom of the metal, so it already has 'legs' rather than using bolts. Oh yeah- did I mention?- WEAR GLOVES!

My fire basket ALWAYS has charcoal in it. It's a big one, but whenever I start a new cook, if needed, I'll just top it off. If not, let it ride.

The beauty of the UDS is the efficiency. When you pull the meat off, just close down all the air vents and it will choke the fire out. Then next time, just relight. IMO, there's just no reason to try and add just the right amount of fuel. Burn it for as little or as long as you want and "turn it off" until next time.

These are the type of info someone new to UDS like myself need to know.
Thank you.

OK... these comments make a lot of sense regarding the single basket rather than the double. I think I'll go with that even though I don't use lump charcoal. I won't be reusing leftover charcoal but I also don't think I'll really need the smaller basket.

I wish I had thought that part out a little more ahead of time now because I could have used the leftover 3x4 sheet of expanded metal to make two expanded metal grill grates for the drum. I was just thinking about expanded metal grates the other night and wondering if it would be a good idea or not.

I won't be reusing leftover charcoal but I also don't think I'll really need the smaller basket.

Why not?

I wish I had thought that part out a little more ahead of time now because I could have used the leftover 3x4 sheet of expanded metal to make two expanded metal grill grates for the drum. I was just thinking about expanded metal grates the other night and wondering if it would be a good idea or not.

Depending on the gauge of the metal it should work. However, I would be careful if it is thin and wants to sag.

Depending on the gauge of the metal it should work. However, I would be careful if it is thin and wants to sag.

It's 3/4" 9 gage... It might sag a little... not sure.

As for reusing charcoal, I have never had much luck reusing Kingsford Blue.

i use lump charcoal and can usualy get 3 cooks to a basket or more depending on what I am cooking if I do pork butt i can get about 3 cooks on it. you just have to experiment with it but dont be affraid to use left overs from previous cook I havent seen any problems as of yet.

What size nuts/bolts/washers should I get for fastening together the ends of the 3/4" 9 gage expanded metal? Half inch?

What size nuts/bolts/washers should I get for fastening together the ends of the 3/4" 9 gage expanded metal? Half inch?
I would use at least a 1/4" nuts and bolts with fender washers. After all secured I would cut the excess length of the bolt with a grinder.

I used wire for my baskets.

The charcoal basket is finally finished... I'm pretty happy with this build because it's strong and sturdy and should last a long time...

20110808_Basket_0439.JPG

20110808_Basket_0441.JPG

I bolted the ends of the expanded metal together with 1/4" screws, nuts, fender washers, and a lock nut...

20110808_Basket_0442.JPG

I will probably trim off some of the excess length on these bolts...

20110808_Basket_0443.JPG

I fastened the expanded metal basket to the charcoal grate with about 8 stainless steel tie wraps... I'll probably grind off the edges of these also because they are sharp...

20110808_Basket_0444.JPG

The basket itself is approximately 8" tall and sitting on legs that are about 3" tall...

20110808_Basket_0445.JPG

The basket is about 17" in diameter...

I'm glad this part is finally done. I'm still waiting on my weed burner from Harbor Freight...that sucker is taking a long time to get here. With any luck I'll get the rest of the parts I need for the air intake system this week and maybe get the UDS finished up next weekend...

from JMS: 4. Measure and mark all holes for air intakes, mountings for the internal grates, pit thermometer, and internal meat probes.

Is it just me? I'm going to do my UDS sometime when I get yard work done. At the rate I'm going, that'll be the year 2032.
Why do there need to be holes for the internal meat probes? Cant they just slide under the lid?

from JMS: 4. Measure and mark all holes for air intakes, mountings for the internal grates, pit thermometer, and internal meat probes.

Is it just me? I'm going to do my UDS sometime when I get yard work done. At the rate I'm going, that'll be the year 2032.
Why do there need to be holes for the internal meat probes? Cant they just slide under the lid?

I suppose you could but it would let more air into the drum than I'd like to have. I'm gonna use one or two of the grommets and run those directly into the side of the drum instead.

Due to potential liability issues most of these local officials are going to be pretty vague about these things and stop short of telling you to go ahead with the burn.
That's my take.

I used the old 'It's better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission' reasoning.
I live 2 blocks from a Fire Dept. Substation, and they never knew I had a 'Burn' of wooden pallets.
(I'm retired from the City, so I was reasonably sure I could do it without getting a ticket...)
I started with a new unlined food grade barrel, that looked like it had a light coat of cooking oil inside to prevent rust, so I basically just burned it away.

An unlined barrel is definitely the easy way to start.
My UDS has been complete two weeks, and I've smoked both weekends.
I love it...
I hope you guys have an easy build like I did

Last edited:
Sorry. I should have been a bit more clear. I use the probes on a long cable that's no thicker than perhaps a piece of yarn. Its pliable and I don't think it would impede the seal on the lid. maybe I'm wrong about this. I'm going to have to test it out on my drum.
I do have the drum, it's been burned twice, I have some of the parts, just too much going on right now.

Back