Suggestions On Pellet Smoker Under 1K

WeberWho

is one Smokin' Farker
My friend's husband is looking to get into BBQ. She's thinking about getting him a pellet cooker for Father's day.

I don't know much about pellet cookers. I've heard Traeger isn't what they once were since sending production to China. I'm not sure if that's true or not but that is about all my knowledge about pellet cookers.

My friend bought a pellet smoker from Gander Mountain and he likes it. I believe he's on his third pellet smoker since the first two were replaced because of warranty.

I had a coworker that is on his second one because of issues with the first one.

The few people I know who have pellet grills always seem to be having issues with them.

I can't imagine that's how they all are. Can anyone recommend a brand where they've owned one for years and has never broken down or need serious warranty work?

Sorry I'm not familiar with pellet smokers. Just wanted to see what the difference might be between something from Wally World or something closer to 1K.

I appreciate any tips. Thanks!

I got my wife a camp chef XXL for Christmas and I’ve been very impressed with it. It’s turned out a ton of smoked jerky, smoked salmon, brisket, ribs, and Boston butts. It can low smoke at 180, high smoke at 225, and then cook anywhere between 200-350.
Also their customer service is outstanding. My controller was faulty right out of the box, but they were on back order. So they sent me the entire hopper/auger/controller setup to replace.

I wasn’t super excited about another pellet grill because of jamming issues I had with a previous one. But I have been pleasantly surprised with this camp chef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I upped my budget to get a Mak I was planning on getting a RecTec and still would today.

With more expensive and better constructed units, you generally have fewer problems with the pellet hopper and fire pot. From there, you get into air flow, heat control, and overall quality. A simple thing I noticed is a lot of the cheap ones versus more expensive models was the general difference in weight.

If Walmart can pull 5 pounds of metal out of a unit, they will save millions. If a small shop does that, they save very little and risk destroying their reputation. Hence, Traeger who seems to be a victim of their own prior success and a corporate offshoring and aggressive marketing.

I've pretty much settled on the Rec Tec 590.

Now, if only I can bring myself to part with the $$$...:drama:

I really like the Grilla Silverbac with the off-road package but at $1K, that's a bit steep for me.??

Whatever I decide, I will be purchasing a cover to go with it.

At this point you can pretty much buy any of the newer models from any of the major brands and the difference will mostly be cosmetic. They're all PID controlled and will all cook the same. Wi-Fi is an option for most. You should also consider the Masterbuilt Gravity Feed smoker. Basically a pellet grill that burns charcoal and wood rather than pellets. Has PID temp control and Wi-Fi. Way better for grilling and capable of putting more smoke on the meat than pellet grills too.

At this point you can pretty much buy any of the newer models from any of the major brands and the difference will mostly be cosmetic. They're all PID controlled and will all cook the same. Wi-Fi is an option for most. You should also consider the Masterbuilt Gravity Feed smoker. Basically a pellet grill that burns charcoal and wood rather than pellets. Has PID temp control and Wi-Fi. Way better for grilling and capable of putting more smoke on the meat than pellet grills too.

Sounds good but I have zero faith in anything, "Masterbuilt".

I really like the Grilla Silverbac with the off-road package but at $1K, that's a bit steep for me.??

Go Silverbac with the pro wheels, I think they are a $60 upgrade and you get to keep your cabinet underneath.

For what it's worth, I've been nothing but impressed with my PitBoss Copperhead 5 series. The vertical design gives me a ton of cooking area, with a minimal footprint. I can fit half size sheet pans or full size hotel pans on each shelf, which is great if I'm doing a bunch of sides. I did a brisket with 2 hours on Smoke then the rest at 225, and it actually had more smoke flavor than we like. Their cabinets are insulated, so they are very efficient. I had to call for a warranty issue on something that I messed up, and was able to get someone on the phone, who resolved the issue in one call.

I'm about to bite the bullet and pay $300 for the pro cart.. I need it because my driveway/cooking area for this cooker is grass/gravel.. Was going to just build a pad to keep the cooker in but I like rolling it in and out of the building for storage.

From what I've seen if you need to move it alot and over rocky terrain then it seems to be well worth it to go with the combo.. Combo wasn't available when I purchased mine but I couldn't of done it anyways at $1k

Go Silverbac with the pro wheels, I think they are a $60 upgrade and you get to keep your cabinet underneath.

Silverbac doesn't have pro wheels... Those are for the Grilla cooker.. The silverbac however has a pro cart with the all terrain wheels. but its $300 without the cooker.. and $1000 for the combo..

I too was leery of the old pellet grills , so after endless hours on the internet and countless forums I purchased a ZGrill 1000 series. It is made by the same people that make the Trager with out the name on it . It is a well built grill at a value price point ( just what I was looking for in my first pellet grill ) . The grill has preformed flawlessly the 6 times I have used it so far( I know I know only 6 times but hey it has worked all 6 times without any problems).Oh and it comes with a cover !

Stop mess'n with him. He is one of those FOBO's (fear of buying (ok) products. He needs to spend months deciding which is the best. By the time he makes a decision, there will be a new model.

Back