Starting the 20 Series Offset Build(s)

Certainly possible. For a 24"X48" cook chamber a firebox with a 20" pipe inside a 24" (2" air gap or insulation) would need to be 24" long; that would work pretty nice. When I spec out the 24 series I'll price this as an option.

I think that would be awesome. Something that is easily towable with a smaller vehicle and plenty big enough to cook for most family gatherings.

I think that would be awesome. Something that is easily towable with a smaller vehicle and plenty big enough to cook for most family gatherings.

Looking at some shirley builds an uninsulated basic basic trailer thats 24"x50" runs about $2800. I think if you could build something with the double walled pipe firebox and on trailer storage in the neighborhood of 3,000-3,200 that would be awesome. Welding up my insulated square firebox was a NIGHTMARE. If you can make it work with either mineral wool insulation or just an air barrier and two pipes that would save a ton of time and would still accomplish the same thing.

Heck Aaron franklin sais he prefers a round firebox over a square one. If you end up building a trailer like we talked about I'll be putting my order in for one in about 5 years. My wife would kill me if I got another smoker now since I just finished building my offset this spring. :loco:

Nice looking build. I have no skills like that, so I certainly appreciate you showing the steps and tools used to make it come to reality. Very cool

I'm about to start working on new cooking grates for my latest project. The last time I tried welding expanded steel to angle, I kept burning through the edges of the expanded steel and couldn't get a great bind with the angle. Yours must be pretty solid if the expanded is secured underneath the angle sides. Any tips on how to do it properly? I borrowed a buddy's wire-feed welder, so I don't know much about the setup. Thanks in advance.

I'm about to start working on new cooking grates for my latest project. The last time I tried welding expanded steel to angle, I kept burning through the edges of the expanded steel and couldn't get a great bind with the angle. Yours must be pretty solid if the expanded is secured underneath the angle sides. Any tips on how to do it properly? I borrowed a buddy's wire-feed welder, so I don't know much about the setup. Thanks in advance.

Assuming you are using 1/8" thickness angle (I usually use 1"X1"X1/8") and 1/8" thickness expanded metal and you are using a gas mig with .030 solid wire start with a setup that will give you about 125 amps and a wirefeed of about 200-300 inches per minute.

Some small migs have power and wirefeed setting knobs that are calibrated to a percent of the max spec for the machine. For example, I have a small Hobart mig with 180 amp max capacity and it has a knob for setting power with 4 settings (4 being max) so setting #3 is about 3/4 power or 135 amps, close to the 125 amps suggested above so that is what I would use for 1/8" steel. These kind of welders usually have recommended setting in the manual and/or inside the wire feed spool cover.

If it pops and crackles, increase your wire feed speed, you want it to sound like frying bacon, a nice steady sizzle.

If you are using flux-core wire without gas, 125 amps might be a little hot, if so turn the power down a setting

I like to start the weld on the angle and drag the molten pool over or onto the expanded metal to minimize burn out.

Practice on some scrap, best of luck.

Back