SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Noobians vs. Veterans" Throwdown!!!

Now that I have morphed to Clyde, anyone have a good recipe for these?

durian.jpg

I don't think you are allowed to cook Toasts testicles.
What are you anyway...Japanese?
For those of you unaware, this isn't some racist slur but a joke about a thread on a Japanese guy who served up his own genitalia

Last edited:
Well, while y'all are were playing dress up I thought I'd take a break from the senior center fashion bazaar and do a little, you know, cooking.

My buddy returned from a fishing trip to AK a couple days ago, and was kind enough to share his 900lb haul. I've now got a freezer full of Halibut, Salmon, Cod, and Yelloweye. Since it was all swimming around just a few short days ago, I'm taking it upon myself to get it in my belly ASAP.

I started thawing some Cod a few hours ago, came and watched the show here for a bit, and then fired up the, um, contraption. While that heated up, I went down to the garden and found a few accessories. Garlic harvest was just the other day, so I'm flush with that. Broccoli is abundant, squash is just starting to come on, and my Arugula went to flower, which, come to find out, is a wonderful tasting garnish.

_1210700.jpg

I melted a bit of butter, threw in a drop or two of lemon juice, and some minced garlic. Rubbed the fish with that and cracked some pepper in my little mortar and pestle, then gave the fish a good coating of the ol' S'n'P over the garlic/lemon butter.

P1210714.jpg

I dd the same for the Italian Zucchini, an heirloom I found at Baker Creek Seed Bank.

I did a little foil pouch for the broccoli, with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.

P1210718.jpg

Then I threw them all on the contraption together....

P1210729.jpg

P1210736.jpg

I did a really light cook on all this, the fish and veggies are both so fresh I wanted them as lightly cooked as possible. The fish was just coming apart at the flake, and the veggies were still a bit crunchy. I whipped up a bit of Basmati rice during prep, first searing it in olive oil until it just started to turn color and release that aroma, then put in the water and simmer for 20 minutes. Plated the whole thing and ate on the warm bench outside.

_1210775.jpg

_1210780.jpg

Finished up with a little bowl I created from the garden this evening of fresh strawberries, and Borage and Nasturtium flowers. All edible, of course.

_1210652.jpg

OH Brother Matt nice long range missle. Was that a laser guided shell that just struck the fashion show. :clap: that may get some nickers in a knot

Surprise Downunder Aussie Lamb Attack..

Right Farkers...:biggrin1:

Keep yer heads down unless you want them shot off like a Pommie at Paschendale :twitch:

I started with some spicy incendiaries, courtesy of Brother Phrasty...
IMBD2011-07282012_248.jpg

Main ingredient, being Phrasty's rub, sent to me all the way from Jamaica!:clap2:

I added all the ingredients in a blender
IMBD2011-07282012_249.jpg

And then a few more.
IMBD2011-07282012_250.jpg

Prepped my little lamb leg with slits to take the marinade and a few leaves of fresh Rosemary.
IMBD2011-07282012_251.jpg

Cuddling up in a Ziplock bag overnight!! (Yes it was a SMALL Leg of Lamb!)
IMBD2011-07282012_253.jpg

Next day, loaded the Performer with Lump and a good few chunks of Apricot wood!
IMBD2011-07282012_258.jpg

Through the cook, at a solid 325F all the way, added a few spuds and onions.
IMBD2011-07282012_260.jpg

Resting.... resting... resting...
IMBD2011-07282012_278.jpg

The FIRST CUT IS THE DEEPEST!!!
IMBD2011-07282012_280.jpg

Missiles ON TARGET Captn MOOSE!!!!
IMBD2011-07282012_281.jpg

Surrender or Die NOOBS!!!!:loco:
IMBD2011-07282012_282.jpg

There's plenty more where this came from...:heh::heh::heh:

Us Vets are about to burn all the virgins and rape the villages....:twitch:

So ummmm.. Look out!!!:becky:

Cheers!

Bill

Oh Fark!

It WAS Blooming and I picked all the flowers off!!!:doh:

But in truth, this first attack was just a decoy to my cunning plan... which shall remain. Um.. a cunning "secret" plan...

Shhhhhhhh

picture.php

Sailor caseydog reporting from the poop deck.

Since multiple entries are allowed, and this was cooked within the timeframe, consider this my official first entry, and shot across the bow of the SS Nubian.

I love a good steak sandwich, but didn't want to do a traditional steak sandwich.

I started with my basic ingredients. Flat iron steak (which is one of my favorite cuts of beef), some bell pepper and onion, some Boar's Head provolone cheese, and a good bakery roll.

picture.php

Next, to get ahead of the game, I made up a dressing for the sandwich with equal parts spicy brown mustard and mayo, with a few dashes of Louisiana hot sauce.

picture.php

While the charcoal chimney was getting the coals ready, I sautéed some onion and bell pepper on the stove, de-glazed with some red wine -- sorry, but it was 106 outside, so I did some of my cooking in the kitchen.

picture.php

Once the coals were ready, I tossed the flat iron steak on the grill to cook.

picture.php

Once the steak was cooked to medium rare, I pulled it. While it rested, I toasted the bread on the grill.

picture.php

I then sliced the nice red meat...

picture.php

I then spread the dressing on the toasted roll, piled on the steak, topped it with the sautéed onions and peppers, and some provolone, and put it back on the grill just long enough to melt the cheese.

And here is the finished sandwich.

picture.php

It was really good. The dressing worked perfectly with the beef. The roll was crunchy, the cheese was melted just right, the onions and peppers were just right, it all came together better than I could have imagined.

It currently has zero votes in the Sammich TD, But I figure it can't hurt. :becky:

CD

Last edited:
OK here lets make this more interesting mr.captain admiral bigabyte my noobian plate. Let's put a dollar amount on this all dishes submitted has to be less than $15.00
Brother Matt take care of the photos I will supply the cute kid crutch. Who else is with us noobians

Nope, that would take low and slow out of the equation. No ribs, no butts, no brisket, no shoulders........ NO. What a noob. :loco: :biggrin1:

We! All can take a nice cut of meat and make it look pretty but what about the cheaper cuts that take skill?

These ARE the cheap cuts except for ribs -- like $1 - $3 per pound on sale, can't get steak or chicken breast that cheap!! :caked:

I think I've seen that bird in my backyard. I can't believe they had a Scotch-tasting party at my house and I wasn't even invited. :tsk:

(I bet they drank my beer too ... farkers!)

Back