Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

Did a 2.29lb chuck roast this weekend. 25 hours @ 136 (paranoid about safety for the long cook.

It was like a 6/10 - a passable steak, but not the best. I think my mistake was the higher temperature cook, it came out being very medium rather than medium rare. I think someone mentioned above, it was basically like pot roast but a little different. Seared it over a chimney full of hot coals.

I commited heresy and ate it with some A1, and it was actually a decent meal, I was just expecting more prime rib than pot roast.

For a first cook it was a good learning experience. I think next time around I'll do some quicker 1-2hr strip steaks or something.

I want this but I am on the fence. I think the real benefit for me would be re-heating brisket or pulled pork from freezer. Im so indecisive.......LOL

I still don't get it. Seriously. What are the advantages over other cooking methods? Or is it just different?

I still don't get it. Seriously. What are the advantages over other cooking methods? Or is it just different?

I'd say different. Another tool in the belt.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3d-TJ_lr3c"]What is sous vide explained by Chef Jason Wilson - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAeDR2fE0jA"]Thomas Keller: Lesson in Sous-Vide - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah. I did some brief research into the method. If you need crispiness, or a satisfying crunch, or a good sear, you still have to rely on a secondary cooking method after the sous vide. Interesting though, if not for me.

I hear you I just received mine Friday.

The way I figure it it will be a new experience and ...... He who dies with the most toys WINS ! :becky:

In my opinion, here are some reasons it's a neat cooking method:

You can't overcook the food... from time to time I'll overcook one on the grill

The texture all throughout the meat is the same and a better texture

There's nowhere for the moisture to go, it stays vacuum sealed with the meat

Just got mine, picked up the 12 Qt. Cambro container and lid at Cash & Carry $27. Cut the hole in the lid. Since it was getting late and I didn't have anything planned, I fired it up and did 4 hard boiled eggs for 1 hour at 170*

Started with hot tap water 124*, midway between the min/max marks on the sleeve, @ half a tank and it took @ 35 minutes to reach 170*. Does this sound normal? Definitely was more water than I needed for the eggs.

Looking forward to adding this cooking technique to the kitchen repertoire.

Anyone doing any searing/finishing on a salt block?

Thirty five minutes sounds like a long time for a 46 degree rise in temp. I have the original Anova, and it will go from 110 degrees to 150 in about 10 minutes. That is in an insulated cooler.

I got mine last week and I've tried four things with three turning out great and the fourth being moderate. My success has been two hour t-bone at 129, 24 hour eye of round at 131 and four hour pork tenderloin at 138. All were finished with a cast iron sear. The moderate was a pork loin for eight hours at 141 (the tenderloin at 138 had the slightest hint of pink that my wife objected to) and I'll probably go back to 138 for that next time.

The two biggest advantages in this cooking method for me are flexibility in finishing point and the lack of monitoring required. I loaded the eye of round at 5pm Friday night. without touching anything, looking at anything or checking anything for 24 hours, I was able to pull it at 5pm on Saturday, pat it dry, sear it, cut it and serve it in a ten minute time frame. If I was doing this for company, I would be able to wait until they arrive, have drinks, settle down, and serve dinner whenever I was ready to rather than based on when the meat was ready.

Did a 2.29lb chuck roast this weekend. 25 hours @ 136 (paranoid about safety for the long cook.

It was like a 6/10 - a passable steak, but not the best. I think my mistake was the higher temperature cook, it came out being very medium rather than medium rare. I think someone mentioned above, it was basically like pot roast but a little different. Seared it over a chimney full of hot coals.

I commited heresy and ate it with some A1, and it was actually a decent meal, I was just expecting more prime rib than pot roast.

For a first cook it was a good learning experience. I think next time around I'll do some quicker 1-2hr strip steaks or something.

I've had great turnout at 132 for 36-48 hours for chuckies(prime rib-like). I did one at work and 2 people bought an Anova later that week.

Ok, I bought the older model for 100 bucks off, and I wasn't sure I would like it,but for 100 bucks it couldn't hurt trying it out. I did a chuck, seasoned with salt pepper, and rosemary for 15 hours at 145. It was pretty good, next time I would do 135 for 15 to 20 hours. The texture was more like steak than fall apart. The next try was brisket...yes brisket. I took a small brisket and took most of the flat off. I smoked the flat for 4 hours, and put it in at 150 for 8 hours. I usually hate the flats, but this one was pretty good. It held moisture and the texture was more meaty. Due to rain, the point didn't,t finish on the smoker so I pulled it at 165 and put it in the fridge. It was midnight and raining and I was tired I figured I would finish it in the oven the next day. Instead I put it in a bag for 6 hours at 180. I wanted the collagen to melt and that happens at 175 ish. It came out great!! Very tender, smoky and perfect. I could have done this in the oven, this just gives me another tool to use. I am still not fully sold on this tool yet but I am experimenting and trying new things. Please share anything you'be done, I need more ideas!!

OK-

Been seeing a lot of fantastic food pics of the hot tubs, I'm having a blast with mine and considering ordering another one.

Who all is doing any cook and hold with theirs and refrigerating or freezing for later use?

Did a couple TBones for Father's day. 134 for a couple hours and then onto the grill. Tender and juicy. Temp even throughout. My wife usually wants her steak well done because she does not want to see blood. The sous vide solved the blood issue but still delivered a nice pink which she was okay with. I would say it was very successful.

I did a little better than three pound ribeye roast yesterday for Father's day (about 8 hours at 137). I cut the roast in half and finished it on the weber. I only gave half of it a couple minutes on the grill and the missus wanted a couple extra minutes on hers. I used Oakridge Santa Maria rub as the seasoning and it turned the outside of the meat a dark color in the sous vide, but it tasted awesome. It was still nice and pink on the inside. I also did carrots and asparagus sous vide as sides.

Back