THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After 13 pages of discussion, I couldn't pass up the deal and pulled the trigger a the last minute. I have some salmon in the freezer just waiting for my new toy to show up.

I did a little better than three pound ribeye roast yesterday for Father's day (about 8 hours at 137). I cut the roast in half and finished it on the weber. I only gave half of it a couple minutes on the grill and the missus wanted a couple extra minutes on hers. I used Oakridge Santa Maria rub as the seasoning and it turned the outside of the meat a dark color in the sous vide, but it tasted awesome. It was still nice and pink on the inside. I also did carrots and asparagus sous vide as sides.

That looks outstanding. I mentioned a roast to my wife as the next sous vide candidate and she just looked at me funny.

I did a little better than three pound ribeye roast yesterday for Father's day (about 8 hours at 137). I cut the roast in half and finished it on the weber. I only gave half of it a couple minutes on the grill and the missus wanted a couple extra minutes on hers. I used Oakridge Santa Maria rub as the seasoning and it turned the outside of the meat a dark color in the sous vide, but it tasted awesome. It was still nice and pink on the inside. I also did carrots and asparagus sous vide as sides.

That looks outstanding DS .... The rub didn't make it too salty? I gotta try steak done like that :mrgreen:

I have used this setup several times and it works very well.
Grad%20Party%20026_zpsc1tnyxij.jpg

Sometime back I marinated some chicken breasts in a McCormick Chipotle Pepper marinade. I froze each breast individually in a zip lock. I threw one of the frozen ones in the sous vide bath at 146 for 2 hours... Took it out and seared each side 30 seconds with a frying pan in a little Olive Oil. Perfect taste and texture. I love the Sous Vide.

51QztPCK4jL.jpg

I think chicken breasts and pork tenderloins will be my next venture into sous vide.

Beef really didn't do it for me, yet I'll chalk it up to my learning curve... for now at least.

I think chicken breasts and pork tenderloins will be my next venture into sous vide.

Beef really didn't do it for me, yet I'll chalk it up to my learning curve... for now at least.

I did steaks that were about an inch a piece and I probably won't do that again (no real appreciable gain IMO), but with this piece here that weighed about 3.2 lbs, it was a different experience.

For some reason I'm just now seeing this thread. I've had my Anova for about a year and a half now, and recently got a 2nd one.

My favorites are:

Chicken Breasts - 146* for 2-3 hours then sear. They stay super moist!

A whole Chicken at 150* for 8 hours then under High Broiler.

72 Hour Short Ribs at 135* - Medium-Rare Shortribs that cut like butter!

48 Hour Short ribs at ????* - These were better than 72 hour.

Pork Belly - Sous vide for 72 hours then cut into cubes and seared.

Poached Lobster Tail/Scallops - Poach in Butter then sear scallops.

Poached Pears

it didn't at all. in fact, i added salt to the finished product.

Good to hear. I'm into a 36 hour/132.5* Boneless Chuck Short Rib plate cook and I seasoned one with Wicked Que Brisket rub and the other with Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria and its lookin' kinda dark!

Might take one to 48 hours if I can restrain myself!

Wife loves sliders but cooking them on the grill is a pain and usually lends itself to a very dry burger. Decided to give them a water bath to 130 degrees for 2 hours. Then I started the grill, and seared them off for 30 seconds or so per side to give them a bit of a crust. Couldn't have been more pleased. Very juicy and not a single burger was dry. Was quite the risk as I was feeding 10 people but turned out great. Chicken breasts are next on the list.

I like that this thread has turned into a recipe haven. Like all things there's a trial and error period, but with so many folks here it speeds up the process!

I have yet to do chicken, lobster and scallops. They are on the list and my searzall is taking names.:biggrin1:

got mine for father's day and plan on using it this weekend....it was a gift from my dog...(the 65" 4K tv was from the wife and kids!)...lots of great ideas here, as always!

Got mine yesterday and had it in the water about 15 min. after I got home. I picked up a chuck steak (something that I never buy, but wanted to give it a good test) on the way home. It could have been seared and seasoned better, but it was tender and uniformly cooked all the way through. I will say that 136 is a bit over done for me.

Overall, I was extremely impressed by the accuracy of control and uniformity of the water bath. The Anova and a Thermapen were .3 deg. off and I could not find a difference of more than .1 anywhere in the water bath.

Back