Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

I should have mine today when the mail's delivered.

Recommend a cambro size?
Spec's say "Tank capacity: up to 22 liters (5-6 gallons) will clamp on to any tank" so you have you choice of quite a lot. (Stock pot, Cambro, Cooler)

This was in the "Customer who bought this also bought" list.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189CW135-Polycarbonate-Camwear-4-75-Gallon/dp/B002NQB63E/ref=pd_sim_79_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=19QZACCF4GKV30DFETST"]Amazon.com: Cambro 12189CW135, Polycarbonate Camwear Boxes, 4.75-Gallon, Clear: Lidded Home Storage Bins: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41lxbtXYjyL.@@AMEPARAM@@41lxbtXYjyL[/ame]

Doesn't mean you need to go that way.

Spec's say "Tank capacity: up to 22 liters (5-6 gallons) will clamp on to any tank" so you have you choice of quite a lot. (Stock pot, Cambro, Cooler)

This was in the "Customer who bought this also bought" list.

Amazon.com: Cambro 12189CW135, Polycarbonate Camwear Boxes, 4.75-Gallon, Clear: Lidded Home Storage Bins: Kitchen & Dining

Doesn't mean you need to go that way.

That is what is what I bought for my sansaire. My boiled loinbacks fit in there perfect lol.

Actually I haven't done ribs in the sous vide since i got my kettle and smoker back.

Here is a 50 hour grass-fed wagyu chuck roast I did at 135F. I've done a couple from the same steer all day in the crockpot - this is a whole different end result. Instead of the pull apart tender meat I'm looking for out of the crockpot, this gives you a sliceable, prime rib like consistency. It was outstanding.

Just did this.
Outstanding.
The similarities to prime rib are amazing.
Thank you.

Next time I'll do 130*

I think my wife just bought my Father's Day present. I guess I should tell her what she bought me.

I did the same thing.
.....I mean my wife did the same thing. :rolleyes:

Mine came yesterday!
I don't think she was excited as I was.
I heard her telling the kids over dinner while I was still in the kitchen after they asked me what it was, "That's Dad's early Fathers day gift that he got himself."

I could HEAR her eyes rolling.....

MY ANOVA IS HERE!
anigif_enhanced-buzz-27274-1353339583-6.gif

I bought one of these, a 12 quart container, lid, Waring pistol vacuum sealer (for longer term storage of items) and a Iwatani cooking torch for searing. Should be interesting to play around with it. I get mine on Thursday along with all of the other stuff I ordered.

One callout is people seem to be receiving used units from this deal, so buyer beware. If you hassle Amazon for sending a used item instead of new, you can get an additional 10-20% off the price if you want to keep it.

One callout is people seem to be receiving used units from this deal, so buyer beware. If you hassle Amazon for sending a used item instead of new, you can get an additional 10-20% off the price if you want to keep it.

That's for the deal on the Anova One, right? The code that I posted was direct from Anova

Well, I got my Anova Precision Cooker this afternoon, already had some chicken breasts prepared, attached it to my water container, plugged it in, and the damn heater doesn't work. Circulates just fine, but no heat. Already have an email sent to Anova. Purchased it directly with the 50$ off coupon. Looked at Anova website forum and saw that someone else is in the same predicament. What a pisser................

That's for the deal on the Anova One, right? The code that I posted was direct from Anova

Correct. The $100 off coupon on Amazon. I was on slickdeals.com today and people were complaining they received used units as part of this "sale". It wasn't just a few people but it looked like a lot (most). So we'll see but since I bought the unit thinking it was new, I won't let Amazon off the hook too easily since I spend a lot of $ with them annually.

I'm thinking about ordering the Precision model for $130 directly from them but I'll probably wait to see how I like the Anova One first.

Well, I got my Anova Precision Cooker this afternoon, already had some chicken breasts prepared, attached it to my water container, plugged it in, and the damn heater doesn't work. Circulates just fine, but no heat. Already have an email sent to Anova. Purchased it directly with the 50$ off coupon. Looked at Anova website forum and saw that someone else is in the same predicament. What a pisser................

That sucks! I'm sure that they will take care of you.

Just got my Precision cooker today. Filled up a cooler, put it in, plugged it up, set a temp and away it went. Held 130.5 steady within .2 degrees for 45 mins. I used hot water from the tap that was already 120 degrees. It took about 7-8 minutes to hit 130 in about 4-5 gallons of water.

Since, tomorrow is trash day it looks like all is well for me to toss the box it came in. I'm READY for some experimenting and cookery!!!!:clap2:

Just did this.
Outstanding.
The similarities to prime rib are amazing.
Thank you.

Next time I'll do 130*

I agree with 130F. I've been bumping beef temps up as much as 5 degrees as a compromise with my wife and daughter. That's the ONLY negative that I've found with sous vide, is that I can't get different levels of doneness on my steaks like I can on the grill. However, as much as I like medium-rare to rare, I'd rather have a perfectly cooked (throughout) medium to medium-rare steak. But now that I just bought my second Anova, I'll just use both at different temps on steak nights. Of course I'll still have to compromise on roasts, since I'm not normally going to cook two at the same time for just the three of us.

I agree with 130F. I've been bumping beef temps up as much as 5 degrees as a compromise with my wife and daughter. That's the ONLY negative that I've found with sous vide, is that I can't get different levels of doneness on my steaks like I can on the grill. However, as much as I like medium-rare to rare, I'd rather have a perfectly cooked (throughout) medium to medium-rare steak. But now that I just bought my second Anova, I'll just use both at different temps on steak nights. Of course I'll still have to compromise on roasts, since I'm not normally going to cook two at the same time for just the three of us.

I've been cooking my wife's steaks to medium, chilling them and then cooking mine to med rare (really closer to rare) and reheating her when mine are close to done. It's worked out well

I got mine in on Monday. From the googling I've done, the majority of recipes say to cook chicken breast at 146 degrees for around 2 hours. Something about salmonella is killed at that temperature and is safe to eat and very moist. Giving it a go tonight, going to do a quick pan sear in some butter to crisp the breast at the end. We'll see how it turns out...

I got mine in on Monday. From the googling I've done, the majority of recipes say to cook chicken breast at 146 degrees for around 2 hours. Something about salmonella is killed at that temperature and is safe to eat and very moist. Giving it a go tonight, going to do a quick pan sear in some butter to crisp the breast at the end. We'll see how it turns out...

Expect to see some pink juice and in the meat. It's safe to eat because of the time spent at that temp but it's still something to get used to.

I've been doing them at 150 for 90 minutes with good results.

11081244_10205280938894891_4923988436172363607_n.jpg

The carrots were sous vide as well

Expect to see some pink juice and in the meat. It's safe to eat because of the time spent at that temp but it's still something to get used to.

I've been doing them at 150 for 90 minutes with good results.

11081244_10205280938894891_4923988436172363607_n.jpg

The carrots were sous vide as well

Is it as important to pull it at 90 minutes, or will it be okay to shoot for 1.5-2 hours? Do you take it straight out of the package and serve it, or try and add a little texture to the outside of the chicken? Thanks for the help!

Back