Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

What temp and house long for a think prime home in rib eye ? Want to make ut tomorrow
Was thinking pay of butter and sprig of Rosemary in bag?

Thanks

I used a bone-in chuck roast that was a little over 3 lbs, from a grass-fed, grass-finished Wagyu steer I bought a while back. I let it fully thaw in the fridge, removed it from its vacuum wrap, put it in a foodsaver bag with seasoning, and resealed it. I didn't write in my notes what seasoning I used on this one, but it is typically something like a little olive oil (sometimes rosemary infused), salt, pepper, and a few thyme sprigs. I cooked it for 50 hours at 135F, then removed from the bag and did a quick sear all around with a butane kitchen torch. In the picture above, I'd just cut it off the bone and started slicing. It was delicious and had great texture and tenderness. My wife, who loves her crockpot, agreed with me that this is the way to cook roasts from now on.

Billy

What temp did you use for the corned beef? That sounds interesting.

I did 160 degrees. I read from 135, 146, 180.
So I tried the 160.

I think next one I will try 146. Mine was really good but I think maybe too tender as some slices on the corner shred when I sliced. But still was not dried out.

I have 4 more corned beef flats to mess with. May cold smoke one before putting into the sous vide.

I did 160 degrees. I read from 135, 146, 180.
So I tried the 160.

I think next one I will try 146. Mine was really good but I think maybe too tender as some slices on the corner shred when I sliced. But still was not dried out.

I have 4 more corned beef flats to mess with. May cold smoke one before putting into the sous vide.

Thanks! Please post the results as you go!

I used a bone-in chuck roast that was a little over 3 lbs, from a grass-fed, grass-finished Wagyu steer I bought a while back. I let it fully thaw in the fridge, removed it from its vacuum wrap, put it in a foodsaver bag with seasoning, and resealed it. I didn't write in my notes what seasoning I used on this one, but it is typically something like a little olive oil (sometimes rosemary infused), salt, pepper, and a few thyme sprigs. I cooked it for 50 hours at 135F, then removed from the bag and did a quick sear all around with a butane kitchen torch. In the picture above, I'd just cut it off the bone and started slicing. It was delicious and had great texture and tenderness. My wife, who loves her crockpot, agreed with me that this is the way to cook roasts from now on.

Billy

That is awesome! I just cannot wrap my head around 50 hours of cooking!

Try a tri-tip at 132f for 24 hours. Tastes like prime rib. I like to get a charcoal chimney starter and throw a grill gate on the top for searing; only needs a little charcoal as it gets hot.

I've also used my anova for reheating bbq. Had a party for my son, one year bday. I only have a wsm 18 so I did two briskets one weekend; separated point and flat after cooking, vac sealed and froze. Did two pork shoulders the next weekend; pulled, vac sealed, and froze. And the weekend of the party I was able to use the anova to reheat the flats and pork shoulder back up to temp before throwing on a flattop to season and sear for taco meat; chopped/shredded the flats, while making burnt ends with the points on the smoker. Couldn't have pulled it all off at the same time without the sous-vide.

Back