Sous Vide Appreciation Thread!

Question on the Tri tip. Did you season after and then do a reverse sear? My favorite part of the Tri tip is the great crust from the hot sear.

I season before...but you could season before....rinse and reseason and sear. Yes the crust is an important part of the flavor. I have seared on a real hot grill as well as an iron skillet...both work.

Dang You All!

Just placed my order...We eat a lot of Salmon and don't own a gasser and often to lazy to fire up the BBQs for a couple of fish filets so I pan fry. Even with the stove top exhaust, my wife is afraid to invite anyone over for a few days because of the fishiness of the indoor air. This should eliminate that issue. Can't wait to give it a go...:grin:

Thanks Ron!

I've wanted to try this method for some time but was hesitant to get one until seeing all the reviews here.

Just placed my order...We eat a lot of Salmon and don't own a gasser and often to lazy to fire up the BBQs for a couple of fish filets so I pan fry. Even with the stove top exhaust, my wife is afraid to invite anyone over for a few days because of the fishiness of the indoor air. This should eliminate that issue. Can't wait to give it a go...:grin:

If you take it out of the bag and dispose of said bag outside you'll be doubly golden! I feel your pain on that one. Don't know what's worse, the smell or the hourly reminders by her on what the air smells like.:becky:

I did a thick ribeye tonight , had to run out so after 90 min at 135 I tok out and out in fridge.

My question is is that ok? I kept in the bag I cooked in ? Was thinking tomorrow warm up and sear

Hope I didn't screw up

I did a thick ribeye tonight , had to run out so after 90 min at 135 I tok out and out in fridge.

My question is is that ok? I kept in the bag I cooked in ? Was thinking tomorrow warm up and sear

Hope I didn't screw up
You could have left it in the spa for several hours, and it would still be perfect 135 degrees. Depending on how thick it was, and starting temp, it may not have achieved your desired temp before you stopped the process. Still good though. Just might have to eat a little rarer than desired, or cook a little more during the sear.

The last salmon I did in my Anova was outstanding. I started with pre-cut 6 oz fillets from Whole Foods and cooked at 132F for 45 minutes. I seasoned before and did a real quick sear after with my butane kitchen torch (on top only).

I'm in!
I've been on the fence about these things but I can't pass this deal up.
Thanks for the heads up Ron!

What is the MAIN reason to have one of these? Consistent cook? Tenderizing capabilities? Convenience? I love gadgets but it's just me and my wife and neither of us like to spend hours cooking. I'm intrigued with the concept but having a hard time determining if we really need this or will use it much.

If you take it out of the bag and dispose of said bag outside you'll be doubly golden! I feel your pain on that one. Don't know what's worse, the smell or the hourly reminders by her on what the air smells like.:becky:

The hourly reminders are by far worse. I'm a fisherman! What can I say?

What is the MAIN reason to have one of these? Consistent cook? Tenderizing capabilities? Convenience? I love gadgets but it's just me and my wife and neither of us like to spend hours cooking. I'm intrigued with the concept but having a hard time determining if we really need this or will use it much.

Yes...Yes...and Yes. But for me...and I love to cook...just another method to play with.

For steaks....I always stress at getting them just right after spending $18-20 a pound. No stress perfectly cooked.

Best tritip I have ever done. 5 hours in the bath..still good texture...but more tender than just grilled and perfect med to med rare.

Fish and chicken...so far...meh?

Do I/you/or anyone need one....Nope.

The nice part is that you don't have to spend hours cooking. Bring the water to temp, drop in the food and walk away.

Now I just have to figure out how to get a whole bone in rib roast vacuum sealed so I can finally accomplish a perfectly cooked Christmas Eve dinner!

I don't think I'm gonna get one done with my 11" wide rolls.

:becky:

Keep the fish recipes coming. This works out perfectly because after 30 years on God's Green Earth I developed a seafood/shellfish allergy. We used to eat it regularly, but my wife is worried that I will cross-contaminate in pans or on the grill. This is the perfect set up to still cook seafood for her without having to worry about making me sick.
I personally don't care for the texture of the chicken that comes out of the water bath. Moist, yes. Texture, hard to explain, kind of rubbery. I have a hard time cooking steaks elsewhere. They are PERFECT every time. You can't screw them up unless they are in there for too long regardless of the temperature. Helk, I might be to blame after convincing Ron to buy one. Another tool in the arsenal belt for someone who prides themselves on creating great food

In addition to the other excellent responses, it makes entertaining a breeze.

I had a dinner party the other night.

Prepare cream sauce and precooked spinach, also precooked pork belly and shrimp sauce.
I put 7 filets in at 129* and lit BGE
Prepared and served Cocktails
Prepared appetizer (BBQ shrimp and Pork Belly over grits) and served
Adjusted BGE and put potatoes in oven.
Prepared and served salad course.
Heated cream sauce and spinach
1:40 or so had passed BGE was holding at 675*

Pulled filets FROM Sous Vide. Seared on BGE 75 seconds per side
Served with cream spinach and baked potatoe.

I have a DIY Sous Vide -- the PID controller I made for smoker control way back when, has a regular old outlet as an output, so I can plug in any sort of roasting pan, crockpot, etc.. as a source for heat.

Sous Vide is yet another tool in the arsenal of cooking. This is a great deal for such a machine. Have not used it personally but the reviews look awesome.

Like some said, a big lifesaver too if you are having a large party, you can use it for re-heating tasks if you cook ahead.

Been eying this for a while, have done it in a cooler adding hot water, works, but kind of a pain. Was going the DIY route until this popped up. Cant wait!

Back