Source for Granulated Garlic?

Many times the stuff marketed as garlic powder actually is granulated. Real onion or garlic powder will be very fine textured like flour. If its coarser than that, you are most likely already using granulated. Freshness is another issue howeve, and anything you get from a reputable online spice dealer will most likely be pretty fresh. Also places like Sam's and Restaurant Depot will probably be fresh as well due to the volume that they move.

As far as granulated being better, that's true. The difference between the two is that granulated will be pretty much 100% garlic or onion, while the powder is usually made from husks and root ends as well. Granulated is just a purer product.

All granulated garlic and onion is 100% dehydrated bulb material, no husk or root end. Where granulated and powder come from is sieving (screening out the larger pieces) the larger minced pieces out in production. After the first sieving you are left with a combination of granulated and powder which gets sieved again to remove the granulated. This leads to the 3 different sizes.

It all comes from the same feed stream, being the production of minced garlic. The granulated and powder are by products of the minced garlic production.

Granulated is often used in rubs because it's small enough to stick to proteins yet large enough to not clump when being applied

I order mine from spice barn. Price is decent and haven't had any quality issues.

I second Costco(Kirkland) spices, another option is Frontier in bags. You can find it online for $13.85 a pound with free shipping.

I get mine at the Amish bulk food store. If there are any Amish enclaves around you....their stores are usually a good place to pick up spices at great prices.

Back