Some Pulled Pork Rellenos

Jeanie, I didn't know it was possible, but I love you even more now. I think if you'd come cook ne'er and put the food in the next room, I might just walk again to get some of that. :)
Thanks for posting. Now...go betcha some fruit. Ha

Thank you ssv and pmad!!

Jeanie, I didn't know it was possible, but I love you even more now. I think if you'd come cook ne'er and put the food in the next room, I might just walk again to get some of that. :)
Thanks for posting. Now...go betcha some fruit. Ha

Dan you're going to make me cry. You know I'd cook for you to be able to see you walk to the table... Many hugs to you friend...
I'll go get some fruit. Thanks! :-D

That would be great!! Thank you!!
The stores here carry the peppers. Also carry hatch chilies when in season. I'm in the western end of the ok panhandle, not far from NM. :)
Thanks again!

Got busy last night and didn't have time - will post to the thread tonight or Saturday.

Jeanie, those rellenos look great, especially the batter! :clap2:

Have you ever tried using poblanos instead of Anaheims? They have a slightly richer depth of flavor.

Thanks so much everybody!

Got busy last night and didn't have time - will post to the thread tonight or Saturday.
Thank you Dr. Trout Bum! Looking forward to trying your recipe. :thumb:
Will be gone this week, if I don't see your post before I go, I'll check for it when I get back. Thank you!

Jeanie, those rellenos look great, especially the batter! :clap2:

Have you ever tried using poblanos instead of Anaheims? They have a slightly richer depth of flavor.

Thank you Moose! I've used poblanos but prefer the anaheims. It's just me... I love anaheims. I guess because they are so mild. :) Thanks again!

OK, Cowgirl, here's how I do it. This is my general, traditional NM green chile sauce.

First, roast the peppers. You know how to do this and others can google it, so I won't elaborate. Of course, peel the blistered skin off, remove the amount of seeds you want, and then chop. You will need about 2 cups of chopped chile, give or take, depending on your taste. I usually go with a little more, but I've seen similar recipes that only call for 1 cup. I believe more is better - green chile is the star of the show here. Anaheims are the way to go for most folks, due to their availability. I have a freezer full of NuMex Big Jim peppers from Hatch in my freezer. Using poblanos with this recipe would certainly be a sin even greater than spelling MOINK with all lower case letters.

Sautee 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion in oil (or bacon grease) - I use canola
After they are translucent, I press in 2-3 cloves of garlic, reducing the heat a bit (medium/low).

Add 2 Tbsp of flour and mix into a roux. Keep stirring, while adding 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt & white pepper.

stir in 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock and simmer. After about a couple of minutes, slightly increase heat and stir about 1/2 a packet of brown gravy mix. This is largely to thicken the sauce. You may add more or less, depending on how it is thickening...it should end up similar to a brown gravy in thickness.

let it reach the signs of boiling and reduce to low heat and simmer. Add green chile and 1/4 tsp of dried oregano. Stir occasionally until thick and smooth.

I usually double or triple this recipe, but this will make about 3 cups of sauce.

Now, pour this over your fantastic looking rellenos. Eat, close your eyes, and wait for your tongue to jump out of your mouth and slap you in the face because it tasted so good!

In case anyone wants the shopping list for the Good Doctor's recipe:

2 cups roasted & chopped Anaheim Peppers
½ cup finely chopped onion
Oil
2-3 cloves Garlic
2 Tbsps. Flour
¼ tsp Cumin
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp White Pepper
1 and ½ cups Chicken Stock
½ packet Brown Gravy
¼ tsp Dried Oregano

Doc, any idea how many peppers make the 2 cups?

Last edited:
Thank you Jim and Terry!

OK, Cowgirl, here's how I do it. This is my general, traditional NM green chile sauce.

First, roast the peppers. You know how to do this and others can google it, so I won't elaborate. Of course, peel the blistered skin off, remove the amount of seeds you want, and then chop. You will need about 2 cups of chopped chile, give or take, depending on your taste. I usually go with a little more, but I've seen similar recipes that only call for 1 cup. I believe more is better - green chile is the star of the show here. Anaheims are the way to go for most folks, due to their availability. I have a freezer full of NuMex Big Jim peppers from Hatch in my freezer. Using poblanos with this recipe would certainly be a sin even greater than spelling MOINK with all lower case letters.

Sautee 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion in oil (or bacon grease) - I use canola
After they are translucent, I press in 2-3 cloves of garlic, reducing the heat a bit (medium/low).

Add 2 Tbsp of flour and mix into a roux. Keep stirring, while adding 1/4 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt & white pepper.

stir in 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock and simmer. After about a couple of minutes, slightly increase heat and stir about 1/2 a packet of brown gravy mix. This is largely to thicken the sauce. You may add more or less, depending on how it is thickening...it should end up similar to a brown gravy in thickness.

let it reach the signs of boiling and reduce to low heat and simmer. Add green chile and 1/4 tsp of dried oregano. Stir occasionally until thick and smooth.

I usually double or triple this recipe, but this will make about 3 cups of sauce.

Now, pour this over your fantastic looking rellenos. Eat, close your eyes, and wait for your tongue to jump out of your mouth and slap you in the face because it tasted so good!

Thank you so much for the recipe, it sounds delicious! I've not thought of using brown gravy in the mix. Can't wait to try this!! I appreciate you taking the time to post... :thumb:

How come?

Bob, I think he was talking about the type of peppers to use in the sauce. (I'm not positive though)

Either Anaheim or poblanos can be used in the rellenos. Anaheims are just my favorite for some reason.

Hope you give em a try. Thanks Bob!! :)

Back