So the package said Brisket, but this is waht I pulled out.........................pRon

I'm thinking it's belly plus brisket like you are. It looks like a brisket on the bottom part, with just a lot of extra stuff up top!:lol: Wild stuff.

Out West, we call that the "long cut".
jptdknpa.gif

hhhmm, whatever it is and whatever I'm doing , its ALL wrong. 4.5 hours in and I'm in the stall. I'm thinkin jerky fo sho.
Any good jerky UDS tips?

4115935493_698dde7663.jpg

I would just stick with the plan, poke for tenderness and pull when it feels right. Maybe it is just a very fast cook, you never know.

1 Hour rest. Me and the meat. Woke up not willing to try more than a bite. Flavor was good, texture was...new. (my first brisket). Hard to tell if it was over done or under done. Or just right. Definitely not cutting it with a pizza knife.

Like I said I've never eaten or cooked it before. Pretty tuff to cut through the exterior, using a chefs knife.

The belly side was very tuff and a very thick fat cap. Bad taste as well. It had the gamey taste I'm used to with other cuts from this particular cow.

I'll take some tomorrow for lunch and pass it around, see what others think.

Any ideas what to do with it , if its not good alone?

Total cook time 4.5 hrs. Probed smooth in most places. Temp, read in the 190's.

The first three pix are the brisket side.
4116934264_8bdf3c66d5_o.jpg

4116934182_49d9e57aa2_o.jpg

4116164045_ed139c5534_o.jpg

Heres the Beef Bacon
4116164227_81704eaf86_o.jpg

I could be wrong, but judging by the size, thickness, and length of that piece of cow beef, you were given an entire side of skirt or flap meat. It's heavily marbled,unlike brisket, but never larger than 1-2 inches thick, thus not good smoking meat in general. Much better for carne asada cooked medium rare sliced against the grain for tacos or fajitas.

An average untrimmed packer brisket should be around 2-3 inches thickness at the flat and around 5-6 inches at the point. Yours doesn't even come close, unless I need glasses. Anyone in agreement with me?

I could be wrong, but judging by the size, thickness, and length of that piece of cow beef, you were given an entire side of skirt or flap meat. It's heavily marbled,unlike brisket, but never larger than 1-2 inches thick, thus not good smoking meat in general. Much better for carne asada cooked medium rare sliced against the grain for tacos or fajitas.

An average untrimmed packer brisket should be around 2-3 inches thickness at the flat and around 5-6 inches at the point. Yours doesn't even come close, unless I need glasses. Anyone in agreement with me?

What he said. The brisket part could have been thinner than we are used to seeing because it was a smaller steer (since he butchers his own cattle).

Hey it was free.... lol

If you don't like the bits with off flavour feed your pets (if you have any) I'm sure they'll love it. With the other bits, you could make stock, braise or stew.

As for the cut of meat...?

I vote chili. Make a big batch of it and take it down to your local soup kitchen.
Hey. What goes around comes around.

I really think that is a skirt steak. Those you need to cook hot and fast but don't ask me I'm not very good at it yet :-D. If you've eaten fajitas that is what they make them out of.

Finally ate some, it had good flavor and the texture wasn't to terrible. I have another , (from the other side of the steer), any suggestions for that one?

Some have said fajitas, should I marinade the meat for fajitas?

Back