THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Hi All Just curious about smoking a untrimmed brisket..I'm sure someone has gone that route..What were the results? I'm thinking I will lose the flavor of the rubs.I have a 13.03 lb Costco Prime packer, looks like it is heavy with fat.
I've done about a dozen packers so far,tired different ways/injected and temps, all have come out with a dry flat?
Thanks DanB

Last edited:
I tried it and I'm not a big fan. Don't get me wrong, I love beef fat, but untrimmed I think is too much fat.

Now you might find that you prefer it. Give it a shot and see how you like it!

I've had great results with the Costco packers, but I trim them up tight only leaving fat cap (trimmed to 1/4 inch). I do protect the flat from heat with a water pan between meat and heat. Cooking on BGE fat side up. I cook to 195 at coolest measure, then foil, towel, cooler rest for 1-2 hours.

I have cooked them that way. Untrimmed, fat side up and they turn out pretty well. You may end up with a little excess fat cap that you can just scrape off.

Depends on the fat.

The thick fat will not render when the the rest of it is done.

Hell...........go for it and let us know how it turned out. :-D

At the very worst it will be chili fixin's. :-D

Brisket

Hi All Pack date on the brisket is June 14th. How long can I keep in the cryo before smoking?
Thanks DanB

PS looks like I'm going to trim it.

I don't think the briskets were under cooked.. They all pass the pull test.
Thanks DanB

You wouldn’t think that, because it doesn’t behave like most other meats, but it probably was under cooked.

I have cooked untrimmed briskets a number of times. The fat will need to be trimmed back after cooking because it won’t fully render. It may take a bit longer to cook and you lose most of the bark on that side unless you want to eat the fat. It will not come out juicier or more flavorful, so if that is the motivation, you will be disappointed.

Lots of BBQ restaurants won't trim anything off and slices they serve have a full 1" or larger of unrenderd fat that is inedible and disgusting. Truth be told if you've done ~12 briskets different ways and they're all coming out dry then you're likely undercooking them. If you don't allow enough time for all the fat to fully render then you won't get a juicy piece of meat.

What is your normal process and what are you cooking on? Type of pit, type of wood, temps, etc? It really sounds like your process isn't working and I'm not sure that doing zero trimming is going to help.

Good luck either way!

The two hard fat pockets on the side of the point have no bearing on the flat, nor does fat on the top of the point, IMO. I'm a heavy trimmer and I remove little fat from the flat proper. Youre either under or overcooking them if they're dry. If they aren't falling apart then they most likely aren't overcooked which leaves undercooked.

How long are you resting them? Steaming when you slice?

Last edited:
The two hard fat pockets on the side of the point have no bearing on the flat, nor does fat on the top of the point, IMO. I'm a heavy trimmer and I remove little fat from the flat proper. Youre either under or overcooking them if they're dry. If they aren't falling apart then they most likely aren't overcooked which leaves undercooked.

How long are you resting them? Steaming when you slice?

Hi Resting in towels in a cooler 2-3 hrs.
Thanks DanB

Lots of BBQ restaurants won't trim anything off and slices they serve have a full 1" or larger of unrenderd fat that is inedible and disgusting. Truth be told if you've done ~12 briskets different ways and they're all coming out dry then you're likely undercooking them. If you don't allow enough time for all the fat to fully render then you won't get a juicy piece of meat.

What is your normal process and what are you cooking on? Type of pit, type of wood, temps, etc? It really sounds like your process isn't working and I'm not sure that doing zero trimming is going to help.

Good luck either way!

Hi Too many to mention.You name I tried it.:) Hot n fast low n slow wrapped unwrapped, butcher paper, foil. Temps 225 at times other 275.
I used a Shirley 24x36 WSM 22" even tried my oven.:) Wood mostly pecan.
Thanks Dan

Back