THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

:p haha. I understand that you never had eel! This is a real delicacy in Holland. And expensive too. one pound cost about $35 - $42 dollar by the Fishmonger. Thats 3 maybe 4 eels. But is worth it!

Back in New Zealand in the late 70's I used to catch eels that were exported live to Europe and Asia. We only got $1 kilo for them so someone was making out like a bandit. Fun, good pocket money

Dave

Smoked Eel, that's something that I have never tried. From the sound and looks of it, I think I'm missing out on something good!
Thanks for enlightening me!

We used to catch them as kids. Slippery little guys and I have yet to find anyone that can hang onto to them with bare hands.

That said, we never cooked them but after looking at this, wish we would have.

I've had eel in sushi places and it's very good. Big flavor!!

:p haha. I understand that you never had eel! This is a real delicacy in Holland. And expensive too. one pound cost about $35 - $42 dollar by the Fishmonger. Thats 3 maybe 4 eels. But is worth it!

Every time I get to Amsterdam, I have to have some. Even if it is just flying through Schiphol, I pick some up in one of the "See Buy Fly" shops. You can eat it right there with some stroopwafels. When you compare it with airport food, it is not so expensive and a real delicacy!

eels are so expensive these days because they are possibly going on the endangered list.

We fisherman love them for striper bait!

I've had them smoked in Japanese restaurants, but round these here parts we nail them to a tree, skin them, and deep fry them in peanut oil. And damned they are tasty!
Eels to bass is like bacon to humans. They were very scarce up here last year, but a good bit better this year.
I have had them smoked in a sushi bar. All I can think is "duck-like"

When I was a kid my dad and I use to stop at this place on long island and we would always try to bring the smoked eel home...it never made it. Absolutely delicious!!

You smoke them?

The eels are from Ireland, but they don't eat eel. The story goes that St. Patrick came to Ireland and get rid of al the snakes. Only one type stayed and that was the eel. The eel was sentenced to live under water.

I'm very glad they don't eel :-D
Here we grill them. I'm gonna have to try smoking next time

Using your numbers, at an average of $38.50 per pound, 20 lbs would be $770.00 for 10 guests...:shock:

I wish I had a close friend like you :smile:

Back