Small time catering

BBQchef33 said:
Dave..

did he say he wants YOU to cook lamb? Does that mean ya have to go find those holes in the yard?

:)

Yep!:-D Actually, I cook pretty good lamb - I just can't stand to eat it!:eek:

Nothing wrong with starting small and growing into it Dave. Keep up the good work!

Maybe print some "business cards" with a refferal offer on the back. Can't hurt to ask for refferals every now and then. That is the way to true lotto.

Roo-B-Q'N said:
Nothing wrong with starting small and growing into it Dave. Keep up the good work!

Maybe print some "business cards" with a refferal offer on the back. Can't hurt to ask for refferals every now and then. That is the way to true lotto.

Small is the only option I have at this time!:-D If this stuff keeps up I've got to get a trailer, actually a certified mobile kitchen, and move to a pair of FEC100s or an FEC500 along with a warmer (Alto-Shamm or perhaps a Cookshack electric unit). My stick burner is getting the job done, but I need some sleep - I have a full-time job and cooking with wood until midnight or so just ain't cutting it.

I've GOT to get some Cambro modules, too. :mrgreen: The coolers just aren't cutting it when I'm soloing on these gigs.

I'm definately starting to look at capital investment issues.:wink:

Good to hear things are working for you! IT IS WORK! I feel your pain when you talk about keeping your day job and taking on another vocation. We started out pretty slow, doing mostly family and charity events. We collected equipment as we went. the cambros were a real good investment. Their expensive, but will last a lifetime. Next came chafing dishes and microfiber tablecloths. The BBQ trailer we bought in April had a Traeger 200 in it, and what a blessing! Now we can take gigs up to 500. I guess its hard deciding when to spend money to make money, if I needed it to do the job,I tried to buy it. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Thanks for the encouragement and the links.

I've got to work on getting a permanent location for storage and prep. Then, too, I need to work on getting a truck or heavy duty van...

Heck, all it takes is MONEY -- the one thing I don't have much of!:shock: :mrgreen:

PigBoy said:
Good to hear things are working for you! IT IS WORK! I feel your pain when you talk about keeping your day job and taking on another vocation. We started out pretty slow, doing mostly family and charity events. We collected equipment as we went. the cambros were a real good investment. Their expensive, but will last a lifetime. Next came chafing dishes and microfiber tablecloths. The BBQ trailer we bought in April had a Traeger 200 in it, and what a blessing! Now we can take gigs up to 500. I guess its hard deciding when to spend money to make money, if I needed it to do the job,I tried to buy it. You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

You're absolutely right - I've tried over the last few years to make sure I can buy the more specialized stuff when I've needed it and not before. Cambros, hotel pans, etc. are a priority now - however the full sized hotel pans (stainless) are just a bit too wide for my rotisserie shelves. Ergo, I'm still shelling out for multiple diposables for each gig. Little things like that make a difference in the bottom line - though for mobile food service/catering the disposable keeps the health department off your back about sink size in a trailer!!

Thanks again everyone, for your interest and suggestions.

Get ahold of your food supplier and set up an account. I just did that and am find alot of things failry inexpensive. The foil pans (1/2) for instance were only .31 each. Mustard was like 2 bucks a gallon. See if they can help save you money. You also have the wharehouse stores as well Costco and the other one . . . you know the spawns of satan :twisted: :-D

I already have accounts at GFS and the "spawn of satan".:-D I'm too small for Sysco or US Foods...I have dealt with local poultry and veggie purveyors and need to have a talk with them again. Our largest, local, produce terminal changed hands and they moved operations over to Tampa -- that was a real p.i.t.a.

Believe me, I shop hard, order for case discounts when possible, etc.

Heck, I know and have never indicated otherwise that this is hard work and borders on the tedious at times.:-D

I'm just kinda stuck at that cash flow point where I need to move up, equipment wise, but can't quite justify it, yet!:mrgreen: I've just got to be patient and not overload my a$$.

I hear ya, we have a small food supplier up here that gives Sysco and US Foods a run for their money.

I am just starting out somewhat like you and don't really want to grow to large to fast as I own another company that I can't afford to take my eyes off the ball there. But it has been fun so far there.

Good luck to Dave.

Roo-B-Q'N said:
I hear ya, we have a small food supplier up here that gives Sysco and US Foods a run for their money.

I am just starting out somewhat like you and don't really want to grow to large to fast as I own another company that I can't afford to take my eyes off the ball there. But it has been fun so far there.

Good luck to Dave.

Folks that aren't/haven't been in the food business don't realize that the big companies provide "one call ordering and delivery" - prices can be slightly below "retail" but not usually. Meat is a good example - restaurants pay pretty near what we pay retail - I'm talking about packer meats -- retail in the grocery store has a significant mark up.:rolleyes:

For example, when I was at the cafeteria we used to have our milk delivered - it costs significantly more than Sam's (gallon price) and we shared a parking lot with Sam's. I'd stroll over and buy milk when we were short - but, we also needed the buttermilk, single serve cartons, etc. so we stayed with T.G. Lee for the convenience and delivery.

Also, your local purveyors provide service that the box stores can't. We had a large veggie company for routine delivery of lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, etc. But, I kept up regular deliveries from a small vendor - JP could get me 25# of beets, for example, when the "bit guy" didn't carry them. JP specialized in service to the deli's and small restaurants and cafes in the area -- he ALWAYS came through for me!:mrgreen:

I'm SO glad I had the experience of working at a large kitchen place...I learned how to shop and got to use a lot of equipment that I might not have learned about. I'm on an ad-hoc committee at the church that's looking into enlarging our fellowship hall and doing a complete remodel of the kitchen - I'm pushing for an upgrade on the range (along with the lady that has been doing most of the in house cooking), adding a stack of convection ovens, and I'm really pushing for a tilt-skillet. This is in addition to rearranging the sinks, etc. We also need to upgrade the refrigeration.

If things go right, when we get all this done (not real soon, unfortunately) I'll probably be able to negotiate a contract to use this new/improved kitchen as my catering commissary!! :grin:

All this is tied together - trying to run even a small catering business is almost impossible without schmoozing!! When I'm only doing one little gig every month or so I can cope -- having, basically, three gigs in one week is wearing me down! I've got to consider buying another cooker, van, trailer, etc. But, gotta have cash flow!:wink:

Back