How long to keep pulled pork

Iowa Sailor

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Mark
I am doing two pork butts today for my grandson's birthday party on Saturday. I had planned to cook it on Friday, but we are in for several days of heavy rain here in Iowa.

So the pork will be done later this afternoon - my question is: Can I pull it tonight, cool it and keep it in a Ziploc bag in the fridge till Saturday noon? Should I let it cool and vac seal it and put it in the fridge? Or - should I just vac seal it and freeze it till Saturday?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

I'd let it cool down before you put it into the fridge, 2 butts worth may be borderline for enough thermal mass of hot meat that it could take your fridge quite a long time to bring it down, or even raise the temp of your fridge to unsafe levels. If I'm doing large batches I'll vacuum seal and toss into an ice bath to "blast chill" it. As far as it lasting until Saturday if you seal today, you'll have no problem, that's only 3 days. I'd probably vacuum seal though just to maximize quality retention.

Agree with sudsandswine. Though I like to break the butt down so the natural chunks stay whole, stripping the fat. Then later you can easily 'pull' those. I think that reduces oxidation and retains moisture.

Pull it today. Vac Seal is always better for reheating in a water bath. It gives the best result and no drying out. No need to freeze.

Any of those described methods will be fine. I'm notorious for eating my leftover pork cooks beyond 3 days from cooked time and everything tastes just fine to me.

We go 1 week, usually. A day or two longer if it's unusually good, or there's a ton of it. Towards the last days I find it needs a bit of help - some SBR or Sriracha or something like that...

Pork

I agree on big hunks with fat removed. It will eventually be broken down as it gets tossed around in the pan.

Agree with sudsandswine. Though I like to break the butt down so the natural chunks stay whole, stripping the fat. Then later you can easily 'pull' those. I think that reduces oxidation and retains moisture.

Well, here in Southern Iowa we cook our butts to probe tender, let it cool a bit and just push down on it until it turns into large, beautiful chunks. De-fat and vacuseal into meal worthy amounts and into the fridge or freezer depending on anticipated eat events.
Pop into simmering water till hot, then eat the chunks with boiled taters or pull for sandwiches.
Ed

The people at the party will be happy and well fed. How many are you cooking for? How old will your Grandson be?

I"ll eat it...

Any of those described methods will be fine. I'm notorious for eating my leftover pork cooks beyond 3 days from cooked time and everything tastes just fine to me.

If it ain't blue and fuzzy and passes the olfactory tests....I'll eat it till it is GONE.

Back