Slather or not? W/ what? Pros & cons etc..

jjdbike

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
JD
Greetings brethren of Q,

As I examine my procedure for an upcoming cook to host neighborhood BBQ, I'm thinking everything through. I want it to be good & I want to confidant in my plan.

I've included my plan so far (uptown putting meat into smoker) below.

Now to my question.
Should we slather before rubbing a meat for smoking on stick burner or not?
If so, what should we use (beef & Turkey)?
What are pros and cons?

Here's the plan so far.
BRISKET:
*Trim
*Mix Meat Church injection w/ 50/50 unsalted beef stock & apple juice.
*Inject and sit in fridge overnight
*Towel off excess injection
*???Slather w/ olive Oil????
* Apply Meat Church Holy Cow & Holy Gospel combo
*Into KBQ stick burner.
*Spritz w/ 50/50 apple juice - apple cider vinegar

Boneless Turkey Breasts:
*Mix Meat Church Bird Baptism Brine mixture in 50/50 unsalted chicken stock - apple juice
*Inject and overnight in fridge
*towel off excess injection
*???? Slather w/ Duke's Mayo
*Rub w/ Meat Church Texas Sugar & extra black pepper
*Into stick burner

Sound like a solid plan?
Thanks!
JD

If I put anything on the meat as a binder when barbecuing, it's usually just spray-on avocado oil. I don't think there's really any benefit to it at all, other than helping the rub to stick if the meat is particularly dry.

Only Thing I slather/coat is brisket and Plate ribs. I use molasses, worcestershire, and balsamic vinegar. Then coat with course SPOG.

I used to slather 100% of the time because that’s what I was taught 20+ years ago.
Wooster on brisket, mustard on pork, olive oil on poultry and steaks.

I haven’t slathered some times lately and it doesn’t make any difference.
I still do it 90% of the time, just because. But it’s not necessary.

Thanks everyone,
Wooster, I like it.
I was considering some Knoors beef concentrate, but it’s got a good deal of salt & sugar.
JD

Just season the meat and give it a minute.

The salt in the rub will start to pull moisture from the meat and create its own “binder.”

What do you think about mayo on turkey breast?
JD

Depends, are you asking before or after cooking? I prefer eating smoked turkey breast served cold on bread and mayo is one of the condiments I use on the sandwich.

The only slather I use to assist the rub adhere to cuts of meat is spray cooking oil. It is easy to apply and less messy than using solutions or mustard. I have heard some people claim that oil can bring out the heat in a rub, but I have never noticed this effect. On meats that have been injected or marinated, I feel that there is enough moisture on the surface to help the rub stick to the surface of the meat.

Depends, are you asking before or after cooking? I prefer eating smoked turkey breast served cold on bread and mayo is one of the condiments I use on the sandwich.

The only slather I use to assist the rub adhere to cuts of meat is spray cooking oil. It is easy to apply and less messy than using solutions or mustard. I have heard some people claim that oil can bring out the heat in a rub, but I have never noticed this effect. On meats that have been injected or marinated, I feel that there is enough moisture on the surface to help the rub stick to the surface of the meat.

Thanks,

I was talking about Duke's Mayonnaise as a slather for skinless boneless turkey beasts as a binder for rub. There seems to be a buzz around that.

JD

I use Chipotle Tabasco on ribs and sometimes butts. But that's about the only time I use a binder of any kind.

Back