THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I know a lot of you guys are trying the Simply Marvelous rubs for the first time. I am a huge fan of the whole line. HOWEVER, I think as a Pastor I must warn you of the dangers. When I first started using the SM rubs, I had a cabinet full of rubs (mostly because a lot of the Brethren sent them to my son for his birthday - thanks again, y'all). Here's the problem: I still have 99 percent of them in the cabinet, as I can't grab anything other than SM...well, Plowboys and Todd's Dirt, too. BUT...my point is...the SM line is so good that you will not need most of your other stock. I just think it's bad stewardship to have all these rubs sitting around :)

Okay...seriously, Steph's stuff is great...we do appreciate the other rubs that my son was given, too...PLEASE don't get me wrong.

By the way, try the Season All on home made french fries. My daughter makes them and insists that every bit of Season All (my new goto seasoning salt) is "her rub" - and when she wants to cook, she makes, "Lani's Simply Marvelous Potatoes"...and they are, simply marvelous.

Oh boy, let me guess...first sample is free...then once I'm hooked, I'll be knocking on your door at 3 A.M. jonesing for more... :icon_blush::icon_blush:

Thanks, Steph, for all you do for my family and the Brethren.

HA! Yeah....like BBQ crack!

Steph's a PUSHER!
"Here man.....have a taste, on me!"

:laugh::laugh:

By the way, try the Season All on home made french fries. My daughter makes them and insists that every bit of Season All (my new goto seasoning salt) is "her rub" - and when she wants to cook, she makes, "Lani's Simply Marvelous Potatoes"...and they are, simply marvelous.

Thanks Chambersuac,

Never thought of that for the french fries. Gonna make me up a batch and try it today!!

Brian...or "Dad" according to your signiture :)
Please feel free to call me Dan - or whatever.

Yeah, the Season-all ROCKS homemade fries. I use it for scrambled eggs, too. My daughter (the EXPERT on SM fries, adds the Season-all immediately after she pulls them from the grease, so it sticks. Oh, believe it or not, the SM Sweet and Spicy goes great with grilled or fried sweet potatoes.

Peach is still in the trial stages. I will be more than happy to send out a few samples when ready. I still got some tweaking to do. :becky:

.....needs to get the Frank's Redhot lady to do a slogan for them....."simply marvelous....I put that chit on everything". I received my order of the sweet and spicy last week. Put it up against some old faithfuls from my pantry. All I gotta say is DANG it is good!!!!! I think I have a new favorite!!

I do like BBS... but he isn't like you are.

Received the 5 pack today. Did a finger test of each one. They are seem to have really good flavor. I used the cherry and sweet & spicy on some burgers. They are currently on the smoker. Should be ready in 20 min or so.

I just walked in the door from work and found my package from Greatlakes BBQ containing some Simply Marvelous Cherry rub and some Plowboys BBQ Yardbird rub.

This is my first time buying some BBQ rubs (I make my own) and I'm liking what I'm tasting so far.

The SM Cherry rub is screaming to me to do a pork butt covered with it. The Plowboys rub is whispering in my ear to do country style pork ribs or a apple and prune stuffed pork loin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my package today!!!!!
YIPEEEEEEE!!!!!
IMG_1557.jpg

Did bacon cheesburgers and fries tonight!:thumb:

With the cherry already in the cupboard, I'm FULLY STOCKED on SM!
Gonna be a great spring!!!:becky:

Okay, I tried Blues Hog for the first time today and commented on it in the Voting Thread.
Now, my wife and I also finger tested the rubs and we tried three of em out on a quick Monday dinner. We hit two chicky breasts with the cherry, two with the apple, and coated some drumsticks with the season all. Well, actually we tried four of em. I tossed some pecan into the buttered corn we had too.

OMG!!! First off, I need to comment on the different sizes of the grains. I think it's a good thing to be able to see and distinguish different elements in a rub. I think it shows you that there are many intricate components working to together to make it one great rub. Fine powders just don't seem to offer the differentiated flavor profile on the tastebuds.
I love my wife, but she really doesn't know one rub from another when it comes to the regular stuff I buy. YET, she kept taking finger swipes at each rub and commenting about how different they were from what we normally use and pointing out the variations from one rub to the next. I must agree. The rubs hit the palate from different angles. A little smack here, a jab there, an uppercut there and the final knock out punch is still there when pulling the food off the grill.
Steph.......my wife could not stop tasting and commenting on the Season All.
She was also impressed when I backed up each product with a story about Steph (my brother from another mother as I have told him) and how we are trying to get Bill some bragging rights for his sauce.
Needless to say.........we got some serious product and quality here on this forum in both rubs, sauces, etc........and most importantly in the caliber of the members.

Bob

Back