Searing on a DCS Grill

Brenkj

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Brenk
I'm the proud new owner of a 36-inch DCS grill. DCS doesn't offer any sort of dedicated "sear burner," because they claim that their grills get so hot that the entire grilling surface is a "sear burner." While that may be true temperature-wise, I've found that in order to get a great crust on a steak, you need the steak to be in contact with a solid surface that's scorching hot, and that grill grates just don't do the trick - even when the burners below are putting out tons of heat.

So, I'm wondering what other DCS owners do to get a really good crust on their steaks. I'm thinking maybe a cast iron griddle of some sort placed on top of a burner that's set to "high"? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Which grates to you have? Are they SS or the cast irons? I've got the cast irons and I'm pretty happy with the results but you do get grill marks on the the steaks only

mBhv2iKh.jpg

5uY80XBh.jpg

cUBjLQ2h.jpg

For full surface contact you can sear with the grill grates flipped over like this

Mbxu9wPh.jpg

Another option would be to buy a 28" blackstone griddle top. It fits like a glove with no mods. I was lucky to score one for $50. You can also use it as a griddle

lkkdDQhh.jpg

sPAdpVPh.jpg

Hope it helps!

Back