Gas Grill Problems

RUDY99

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
RUDY99
Howdy All-

This seems like a group that has seen a lot in a grill and BBQ world, wondering if you have seen this one before.

I just bought a house that has a Bull Grill Brahma gas grill. It runs on bottled propane. I purchased a refill at the store, screwed it in, and the gas started leaking at the "flame thrower" (their words, not mine) when the valve is turned off. Seeing that the grill had some age, i assume perhaps the valve had bad gaskets. I bought new flame throwers online repeated the same process only to have the new valves fail in the off position too.

Not sure what happened, but I can only assume the gas regulator is bad? Wondering if this has ever happened to any of ya'll?

thanks in advance.

PS-enjoying the recipes that are posted here, hope to start enjoying them soon!

Welcome Rudy!

That's a high dollar grill, so certainly worth repairing.
Could you post a pic of where the issue is?
I tried a googles search, but no help.
I'm certain that someone here can help.

Howdy!

By "Flame Thrower" I'm assuming you mean the burners.

If you follow this link and then click on the little plus on the top it will give you a parts diagram and all the names.

If gas is coming out of the burners and the valves are off then the valves are bad (again reference the diagram to see what I mean by valves). Did you replace them too, or just the burners?

Edit to add, or what Terry said :)

Last edited:
On my old Weber Genesis (which doesn’t have flame thrower style ignition) the valve was part of the “manifold”. I don’t know if the valve is part of the flame thrower itself on your style or is what’s just before it that it fits into (which is more or less what was the case on the Weber).

I don’t think the regulator would be causing a leak at essentially the burner.

Good luck with it.

Edit: I have flame throwers on both my Weber Griddle and XO Grill but haven’t had either apart to know how they work. I just looked it up and you’re right, it looks like the valves are part of the ignition system. I guess there is no downside to trying the regulator — maybe it’s allowing too much pressure and the valve can’t handle it?

Only other thing I can think of is that something is gummed up and the spring isn’t pushing the knob fully back out. The problem with that theory is that the gas still shouldn’t be coming out until you start to turn the knob, not just push it in.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies. Below is a picture of the web of what I'm working with. It attaches to the gas manifold via a sing screw clamp. That area is not leaking.

In the off position, gas leaks intermittently, almost as if it is releasing the gas at a high pressure. These are brand new units so my only thought is the gas regulator isn't regulating the gas and allowing too much pressure through the regulator.

Flame_Thrower_Valve__73541.1699287735.1500.1500.jpg

Yessir, the gas is coming out of the tip where it is supposed to come out of, my only issue is the valve is off so the gas shouldn't be able to come out.

I'd agree with your assessment. Please do not run this underneath any roofing which could torch your house. Saw a multi-million dollar house in San Antonio which burnt down due to such. No Q worth that.

Well, here's what I'm seeing from the info you provide. Natural gas burns at 10 parts oxygen to 1 part nat gas. Can't remember now but I think propane is 12 to 1. It burns hotter. Here's the deal. No matter how high or low you turn the flame (knob), the air/fuel mixture has to be correct to the burners. It's very possible that the gas regulator is feeding to much gas but you could also have restricted orifices to your burners. Spider webs will obstruct air flow along with dirt dobbers etc. Inspect your orifices on your burners. They are made of brass so be careful with them. They have to be cleaned carefully if restricted to maintain the proper diameter.

Good luck

Signed retired HVAC guy

Back