Saw this today at my local Costco, how do you cook it?

No fair!! I'm happy for you and all,,, but at the same time I'm grumbling under my breath. Wish I could get pork belly and packers at the local Costco.

LOWBASS, when I lived in Germany one of the favorite meats most people grilled was a slab of pork belly. It was always sliced about a half inch thick and grilled without anything on it till it was sizzling right next to all the bratwurst. Locals down south preferred it over bratwurst. Give it a try, it might become your favorite too.

Marc

I became familiar with it next door in the Czech Republic. They brought it for a camp-out, cut it into chunks, about the size of marshmallows, maybe a bit bigger, put them on sticks and roasted them over the campfire. My first thought was, "better than any bacon I ever had." I guess this is the KISS method. :thumb:

I became familiar with it next door in the Czech Republic. They brought it for a camp-out, cut it into chunks, about the size of marshmallows, maybe a bit bigger, put them on sticks and roasted them over the campfire. My first thought was, "better than any bacon I ever had." I guess this is the KISS method. :thumb:

I am honestly drooling now,,, and planning my next camping trip.

Ok Ignorance is Bliss in my world.....I saw Pork bellies like that at Costco and really wanted to get some as they are big and cheap That being Said .. I didnt because I didnt know if they had to cured or something before cooking... So my Question is that .. what needs to be done to these to cook or are they Good to Go >>

Ok Ignorance is Bliss in my world.....I saw Pork bellies like that at Costco and really wanted to get some as they are big and cheap That being Said .. I didnt because I didnt know if they had to cured or something before cooking... So my Question is that .. what needs to be done to these to cook or are they Good to Go >>

Nothing. Rub/Fire/Smoke. Render that fat and you will be in hog heaven. Some serious tasty eats. very versatile the meals you can make with the belly.

In a restaurant in the Outer Banks the chef cut the pork belly into match sticks, dry rubbed them them deep fried them in pork fat. Holy smokes this was one of hte most amazing things I have ever consumed.
Going to Costco tomorrow after work and see if I can find some belly!

I bought two on my first visit to a Costco that had them in stock. Made bacon with one and the other is in my freezer ready to hit the smoker till probe tender. Although I do miss out on a crackling or pork rind opportunity the amount of effort saved since the skin is removed is vast. Super good deal.

Yup. Just finished my bacon using one of those. You can also go Asian and braise it with a good sauce. The sauce will thicken due to the fat and collagen.

275 4-5 (195 internal) hoursish and season it like a pork butt. Slice it like brisket and/or cube it like burnt ends and put them back on. My absolute favorite thing to cook.

This video from Killer Hogs definitely has me drooling and I'll be trying it soon! The money shot around the 10 minute mark is off the hook!!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU8nqH8Jb_8"]Smoked Pork Belly Recipe - How To Smoke Pork Belly Bacon Uncured - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a picture of how a Bavarian grills pork belly in Germany. No seasoning. Eaten right off the grill with sauerkraut or potato salad. yummy.

gegrillte-bauchscheiben-rezept-bild-nr-4.jpg

p8070161-fileminimizer-jpg.576758

Back