Saw this today at my local Costco, how do you cook it?

lowbass

is Blowin Smoke!
I was in Costco looking around for some prime rib eyes when I saw this.
Pork belly! At $2.79lb is that good? Also here's a pic of prime packer I saw today too. Do you smoke the belly, low and slow? What temp are you looking for?

Attachments

• 20160302_155914.jpg
    20160302_155914.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 20160302_160048.jpg
    20160302_160048.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,058
I'd definitely make some bacon. That's a good price for the bellies.

The bacon masters will be here shortly, I'm sure.

You guys and your prime packers from Costco...:mad:

I can't get the one near me to even consider carrying prime packers.

That is a great price for pork belly.
I made a porchetta with the one I got and cooked it in the smoker it was SOOOO good.

...I live in the heart of cattle country and I have to turn over every brisket in town just to find choice. Don't know how to cook belly. Let us know.

After seeing these today I asked the butcher at Costco do they have any tri-tip to sell. He said that they don't sell tri-tip here any more because it doesn't sell well here. He said maybe when it gets closer to BBQ season they might try to sell it again.

My Kamado likes to hang around 285°-300°. Smoke until it probes really tender (4-5 hrs) depending on temp. Use a drip pan because it will render copious amounts of grease. Chop it up and do your normal taco dance and you will be hooked. I think this was 3-4 lbs of a 10 lb belly. The rest was bacon. :wink:

IMAG1672.jpg

IMAG1704.jpg

IMAG1706.jpg

My Kamado likes to hang around 285°-300°. Smoke until it probes really tender (4-5 hrs) depending on temp. Use a drip pan because it will render copious amounts of grease. Chop it up and do your normal taco dance and you will be hooked. I think this was 3-4 lbs of a 10 lb belly. The rest was bacon. :wink:

View attachment 123353

View attachment 123354

View attachment 123355

Do you use a normal pork rub, or any type of rub? Looks like you leave the fat cap on also.

I do not trim the belly at all. That particular belly was Oakridge Dominator Rib Rub and some S&P and Cumin. Just be patient and render the fat and it will be the silkiest pork fat you have ever tasted. Some times if I know it is all for tacos I will cut the belly into strips about 2.5" wide so it will cook faster and have more surface area for rub.

IMAG1772.jpg

IMAG1773.jpg

IMAG1779.jpg

I'd definitely make some bacon. That's a good price for the bellies.

The bacon masters will be here shortly, I'm sure.

You guys and your prime packers from Costco...:mad:

I can't get the one near me to even consider carrying prime packers.

Same here. Our costco butcher says he has no control on what he gets. Annoying as heck. I have cooked those bellies before and they are so damn good. I just cook like i do any other pork; smoke around 250-275; probe for tenderness. I use a basic rib rub. Will slice for tacos or fry up with some eggs. I have one in the freezer and me thinks its gonna be cooked this weekend.

LOWBASS, when I lived in Germany one of the favorite meats most people grilled was a slab of pork belly. It was always sliced about a half inch thick and grilled without anything on it till it was sizzling right next to all the bratwurst. Locals down south preferred it over bratwurst. Give it a try, it might become your favorite too.

Marc

Check out projectsmoke.org to watch Steve Raichlen cook a 3 lb hunk of pork belly. He cooks it low for about 4 hours. I love his method of scoring the meat to get rub down into more of the meat.

I'd go with 1/2 pork belly for tacos, etc. 1/2 for bacon. I have a 4 lb. belly curing since Saturday. The hardest part was finding pink cure salt. I will be smoking it this weekend and going to Costco for another 10 pounder after seeing this.

Back