THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royalslover

Full Fledged Farker
So my buddy and I are going to make a whole bunch of sausage on Sat. I don't have any go-to recipes so I thought I'd ask the brethren for help. My wife hates sage and fennel and forbids me from making sausage that contains either one. Can you guys (and cowgirl) throw out some of your favorite recipes? I would like to make Italian, breakfast, and several others.

No sage,no fennel? Good luck.Make cased meatloaf? Just kidding brother,I have no breakfast sausage recipes that do not call for sage,nor any Italian sausage recipes that do not call for fennel.I wish you good grinding.Tip..grind a batch of what you think you like,fry a few little patties,taste it,then tweak it before you commit to the whole batch.You can always add seasonings,but you cannot remove them once they are in there.Do not ask how I know.:thumb:

German Sausage with a Polish twist
Originally by Sleebus Jones
One fine tasting recipe.

Pounds of Meat Total wt in Grams
75% Pork
25% Beef
0.0175% Salt
0.0038% Black Pepper
0.010% Crushed Garlic
0.0010% Mustard Seeds
0.0025% Cure #1
0.0313% Water

Sausage

So my buddy and I are going to make a whole bunch of sausage on Sat. I don't have any go-to recipes so I thought I'd ask the brethren for help. My wife hates sage and fennel and forbids me from making sausage that contains either one. Can you guys (and cowgirl) throw out some of your favorite recipes? I would like to make Italian, breakfast, and several others.

NO sage or fennel No sausage.:doh: For Italian sausage your going to need need the fennel! Try a German bratwurst type of sausage..
Good Luck with ever you come up with.
DanB

When you understand techniques, you can make your own recipes. Rule #1 is to add anything you like, and omit anything you don't like. Signature spices or recipes are nice guidelines, but not mandatory. For example, I recently added a Basque farm sausage (Lukainka) on my cooking site, it has no sage but it would be okay to add some. Likewise, my older farm sausage recipe has sage, but omitting it is okay too.

This is easier than it sounds.... Visit this link, and jump down on the page. There is a chart that shows recommended amounts of seasonings per kilogram of meat. Pick a spice you like, and now you have a starting point. In fact you could pick five seasonings at random and come up with a sausage that you might just like.

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/secrets

German Sausage with a Polish twist
Originally by Sleebus Jones
One fine tasting recipe.

Pounds of Meat Total wt in Grams
75% Pork
25% Beef
0.0175% Salt
0.0038% Black Pepper
0.010% Crushed Garlic
0.0010% Mustard Seeds
0.0025% Cure #1
0.0313% Water

The decimal places are messed up on that recipe by a factor of 100. You will end up with the wrong measurements. I have also adjusted the salt leve down to account for the salt contained in the cure #1 It should be as follows:

Pork 75.00%
Beef 25.00%
salt 1.52%
pepper 0.38%
Crushed garlic 1.00%
water 3.13%
Cure #1 0.25%
Mustard seeds 0.10%

Link to original thread ---> http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242074

Last edited:
Pork sausage per 100lbs.
680g salt
70g black pepper
85g cayenne pepper
60g granulated garlic
45g granulated onion
30g paprika
120g brown sugar
90g Accent (msg)
113.4g #1cure

I use 100lbs because it’s easy to figure whatever weight you have.
I also use just pork butts.

Awesome, thanks for the help. Holy cow, that website Jeannie recommended has a ton of recipes! I agree with you guys that sausage without sage of fennel is not sausage-but that's what I'm dealing with.

Back