Italian Country Style Ribs

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Cold wintery day, snow has stopped, sounds like a good day to smoke something... And wouldn't you know it, there's a Throwdown going on.

Doing some Googling and ran across a few recipes for Italian CSR's. Why not, figured I'd finally give Phil's sauce recipe a try. I remember seeing a Good Eat's episode years ago where Alton said to always add some alcohol when cooking tomatoes, they have flavor components that are only soluble in alcohol. So I've been doing that ever since. Vodka works well, since it doesn't really change the taste, but I usually throw in some wine. White in this case.

Onion, bunch o garlic, bunch o basil...

3YrOHKEh.jpg

pkwn4SOh.jpg

Add all the other stuff and don't forget the bay leaves or Phil will yell at you.

jaG0kIGh.jpg

Big Joe still frozen shut, so the CSR's go into the oven under the broiler to brown a bit.

Xb6sYJCh.jpg

Little S&P

J6JoU6ph.jpg

Nothing up my sleeve, Presto. (Who knows what that's from?)

XZz5zlTh.jpg

Into a pan, add the tomato sauce and into the FEC they go. Added the Basil stems while cooking, will pull out later.

KmkJ5KCh.jpg

A4T4KS9h.jpg

Had some of the fresh sauce leftover, so saved it for later to add to a pasta dish.

hDsrXWNh.jpg

Two hours in, getting there...

Ngk9dWQh.jpg

XFTrBLKh.jpg

Just a light hint of smoke, tender and juicy, no knife needed. Make sure you bake/warm some bread for dipping in the sauce. YUM!

XAzB3rlh.jpg

NbtDKqZh.jpg

As always, thanks for looking.

How long did you brown them? I'm assuming you weren't going after an IT?

Back