Bacon Trimmings - How to use?

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
I just finished slicing about 8# of bacon using my new slicer. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0172ATCOA) Definitely a learning experience but it basically went well.

I now have maybe 1/2# of small scraps plus some fairly thick pieces from the ends where I can't slice down to nothing. What to do?

I was wondering about grinding with some haburger (proportions unknown) but I don't find much using Search here that encourages me. One concern was how to make sure the bacon is adequately cooked given that I usually cook hamburgers to the point of a little pink in the middle.

Thought #2 was to dice and fry into "bacon bits" for cooking, salads, etc. but for some reason I'm not enthusiastic about that.

Thought #3 was give it to the dog; she favors that, but her digestive system can be problematic so she is basically on a no-leftovers diet.

Sausage? Any recipes that include bacon? We like sausage with fairly strong spice flavors. Maybe just add to a good brat recipe?

Suggestions, links, etc. welcome. I'd hate to throw it out.

I love dicing them up and throwing in a pot of ham and beans, or just throwing in with barbecue beans. They're great diced up and browned down with anything that goes well with bacon

Bacon Jam. Dice it small, fry up to almost crispy and remove. then add onions and slowly saute the onions down, when almost done add brown sugar and some dark coffee. continue to cook and add back the bacon and add a touch of balsamic vinegar.

Vac-seal and use in anything where you want flavor of bacon. Beans, potatoes, soup, salads, or even with roasted vegetables.

Looks like a nice little slicer for the money.

My favorite thing to do with the left over scraps from homemade bacon is to add them to baked beans. The smoky bacon flavor really puts baked beans over the top!

I concur on the baked beans, also for salads, stews and some soups. Plenty of options!

When slicing, I ALWAYS do a thick 1cm slice to start and then slice to our preferred thickness. This gives more even slices. The thick slice gets cut up for beans etc.

Back