SAMs 2014

The other side of the coin says if the sams is the same weekend as another local contest, all the big teams will be at the sams and the local contest just got a little breathing room for new winners

Or not enough teams for the winner to Qualify for the Jack and the Royal.:sad:

I understand everyone's concern for there local contest. It is a lot like supporting your local business instead of buying from the big chains. I read on here a lot on here from organizers how much time and effort goes into planning their event. As a competing team I am glad that there are people that are willing to put in that time and effort.

That being said, I like the format of the Sam's series and plan to compete in it again this year. For Sam's it they have to put in the logistical time and effort to plan 31 contests in all. Also they continue to put up the largest purse in competition BBQ. I think that it is short sided to think that they purposely or maliciously plan their contests against other existing contests. I also don't understand those who slam the judges at the Sam's events. Does that mean the teams that made through don't have good BBQ and didn't deserve to win/advance?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
It's crazy Kit. Look at most any list of the most prestigious, longest running, best ran, cooker friendly, KCBS supporting contests and Tryon is there. How KCBS shows loyalty to this contest is to schedule a Sam's event within spitting distance on the same weekend. Does Sams Clubs money have that much sway over decisions being made by the board? I think the question has already been answered by looking at the schedule of events.

I suspect many of the teams that cooked Asheville and Tryon last year will decide to cook in another city this year and also do Tryon. I am quite sure we will cook either North Charleston or Marietta.....perhaps another city ....not sure yet but definitely not missing Tryon. Asheville will be hurting for teams.

Sam's has to fit 31 contests into about 9 months, I think it's impossible to do that without creating some conflicts with the other KCBS events. They have to run a contest pretty much every week, and do so in such a way that allows them transport time to get their gear to all the events.

They also select which clubs (locations) participate on the basis of store performance, so I'm sure all of these things combined somewhat limit the options they have in scheduling.

That is a good point Ray, but must of us want to cook sams too. It just stinks that I have a sams contest 3 miles from my house and I will not compete in it because it is the same week as Tryon. My only other option is an 8 hour drive to AL for sams, I can't do ga or charleston because my wife is nine months pregnant in June and I need to be close to home. I run a logistics company and looking at the schedule it only adds 120 miles to switch charleston and asheville for Troy and his crew. I think this makes so much sense as I don't know who would choose to cook asheville over Tryon on the same weekend.

That is a good point Ray, but must of us want to cook sams too. It just stinks that I have a sams contest 3 miles from my house and I will not compete in it because it is the same week as Tryon. My only other option is an 8 hour drive to AL for sams, I can't do ga or charleston because my wife is nine months pregnant in June and I need to be close to home. I run a logistics company and looking at the schedule it only adds 120 miles to switch charleston and asheville for Troy and his crew. I think this makes so much sense as I don't know who would choose to cook asheville over Tryon on the same weekend.

AGAIN, saying it here is non-productive; saying it in an email to troy at trybetargeting dot com at least gets an audience that can do something about it if possible. Just saying!!!!

Back