SAMs 2014

wow! cant believe asheville nc is the same weekend as tryon, nc-the biggest contest in the southeast. and only 30 miles apart.

It's crazy Kit. Look at most any list of the most prestigious, longest running, best ran, cooker friendly, KCBS supporting contests and Tryon is there. How KCBS shows loyalty to this contest is to schedule a Sam's event within spitting distance on the same weekend. Does Sams Clubs money have that much sway over decisions being made by the board? I think the question has already been answered by looking at the schedule of events.

The April 26th regional in Vegas is the same weekend as Mesquite. It would be a shame for qualifiers in our region to have to make that choice. I hope this schedule isn't set in stone.

Last edited:
Me either Mike. You know I support MI BBQ, but to have it at that location 3 of the 4 years just blows me away.

Yeah, and its the 4th of July weekend during their huge Cherry Festival. Good luck to anyone traveling there. Better leave a day ahead of time.

Traverse City is a great location as the club treats us well, great amenities near by, and they get a lot of the public showing up. Most comps are in the same location year after year, so I don't why you are so surprised.

I don't think anyone has had a problem in regards to the way anyone had been treated, but its been proven that 4th of July weekend is not a very good choice for a contest date. Think its kind of like NASCAR and mother's day. That specific location on that specific date is a very poor decision.

Just wondering, is there anything written as to how far contests have to be apart to be held on the same weekend? Sam's Madison moved the weekend and now falls on the same dates as a new comp in Green Bay.

I don't think anyone has had a problem in regards to the way anyone had been treated, but its been proven that 4th of July weekend is not a very good choice for a contest date. Think its kind of like NASCAR and mother's day. That specific location on that specific date is a very poor decision.

Where has it been proven?

I have been competing on Memorial weekend for the last few years at an event that has a really good turn out so don't think having events on holidays are that big of a deal.

Jon , There has been conflicts in the schedule between Sams contests VS other contests from the day the series started.This year it hit Wisconsin. You just have to make the choice as others have past years .This year the Michigan teams have to make the choice of 4th of July as we have had to do in the past . Not saying its right but its nothing new.

Same old

And the Baton Rouge Sam's is the same weekend as a $12,000 state championship contest about 75 miles away... AND Fort Worth is the same weekend as the big contest in West, TX. The list goes on!

It's crazy Kit. Look at most any list of the most prestigious, longest running, best ran, cooker friendly, KCBS supporting contests and Tryon is there. How KCBS shows loyalty to this contest is to schedule a Sam's event within spitting distance on the same weekend. Does Sams Clubs money have that much sway over decisions being made by the board? I think the question has already been answered by looking at the schedule of events.

Who is hired to run each of these events? Could they have a conflict of interest?

I have been competing on Memorial weekend for the last few years at an event that has a really good turn out so don't think having events on holidays are that big of a deal.

Nothing against TC. Loved the location and a Cracker Barrel right there. I am more amused that it is in a location that doesn't have KCBS membership and it doesn't sell out. Personally, I feel they should change locations every year and change up regional weekends.

Good luck Rich. You know I am just red passed that Dee beat me with his blendered brisket. :evil:

I will send you a text, I have been involved with 2 big cities up north who tried to put contests in conjunction with their 4th activities. Both failed due to lack of teams. Memorial day is a much different holiday than the 4th of July plus its at the beginning of the comp season when everyone s eager to compete.

I have thought about this today and I came to the conclusion that maybe the bookings were done with a purpose. I think a lot of the odd judging last year was because cooks,who don't normally judge, did more judging at the contests. What better way of solving this problem then put the contests on when other cook friendly contests are in the same area on the same day?

I think you will find that the locations are a collaboration between MMA and Sam's marketing. The schedule is one of logistics, meaning getting from point a to point b with least cost of time and man power. All of the equipment and generators are transported via MMA truck and if you plot the route and dates you will see the reasoning for the date choices. I think one of the contests in Ashville will probably be changed due to the conflict with Tryon and MMA does accept input on the actual schedule and to some extent the locations. Just contact them and point out the issues and at least they will listen.

I know that several years ago they selected a location in South Dallas that most of us pointed out was a cut and shoot area. Cut your way in, shoot your way out and have armed over night guards around the perimeter. They got the message and moved it to a safer area. If they had not changed it, there would have been new meaning to quite hours - you can't return fire after 11 pm -- NOT!

Swapping the Asheville date with the Lexington date would be an easy fix. The logistics issue wouldn't be that great because they are relatively close to one another. This would also eliminate the conflict between Tryon and Asheville as well as the Lexington contest with the first year sanctioned event in Barbourville Ky.

You might be better off sending an email to Troy at trybetargeting dot com. That is his email and he is listed as the coordinator of the Sam's series. if not go to their website www dot trybetargeting dot com and go that way. They are very receptive to input but don't always check the forums.

Last edited:
The other side of the coin says if the sams is the same weekend as another local contest, all the big teams will be at the sams and the local contest just got a little breathing room for new winners

Back