Rolling Smoke on the Shirley Fab whole beef shoulder and taco's!

InThePitBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Bob
Been doing a little experimenting with whole chuck rolls aka beef shoulder's lately and finally settled on cooking method's that produce good consistent results and made some taco pan's for tailgating parties for the ND game yesterday.

Here's a small shoulder with a brisket and two butts trimmed up and going on.

LUTvgqfl.jpg

7 hours later internal temps are where I like them to be and it's ready.

kiLe2HFl.jpg

After a good rest starting to slice and pan.

pqwNH9pl.jpg

All ready to make taco's!

mqxdpgwl.jpg

My old tortilla press has seen better days so I ordered this one off Amazon and put some work in with it, makes outstanding fresh pressed tortillas with fresh Masa Harina.

QcJUJIRl.jpg

Taco's are ready! Smoked beef and pork filling Mexican style with fresh chopped sweet onion and cilantro.

kRc3POxl.jpg

Looks fantastic, Bob. Lucky tailgaters! :-D
I really like the tortilla press too. I'm always looking for a wood project. This might be just the thing. Thanks for posting!

Was it shoulder "clod"? I have seen 1 at a Sam's club and did not buy it.I did not know what it was.I am told CLOD is what they cooked in Texas before Brisket took the title of Texas BBQ.Cook It to fall apart tender or to the slicing point? Just curious.

Loving every bit of this - the meats, the tortillas, the press, and of course the tacos!

That beef shoulder - do tell! :hungry: What IT do you like to finish at? I've done chuck roll to pulling temps, and clod to roast temps - loved the results, but I really like the looks of those slices right there. Looks like you're hitting above roast temps and obviously below pulling temps. Cuts like that are great 'cause you can feed a crowd with one piece of meat.

Very nicely done, sir! :clap2:

Loving every bit of this - the meats, the tortillas, the press, and of course the tacos!

That beef shoulder - do tell! :hungry: What IT do you like to finish at? I've done chuck roll to pulling temps, and clod to roast temps - loved the results, but I really like the looks of those slices right there. Looks like you're hitting above roast temps and obviously below pulling temps. Cuts like that are great 'cause you can feed a crowd with one piece of meat.

Very nicely done, sir! :clap2:

Yes.Details,,,PLEASE!

Was it shoulder "clod"? I have seen 1 at a Sam's club and did not buy it.I did not know what it was.I am told CLOD is what they cooked in Texas before Brisket took the title of Texas BBQ.Cook It to fall apart tender or to the slicing point? Just curious.

These are often referred to and sold wholesale as whole shoulder clods or chuck rolls, I buy these Angus packers in wholesale quantities for my catering business and restaurant from DemKota beef.

YiVOxtKl.jpg

9pT8Aywl.jpg

These are absolutely what was the pride of Texas BBQ before brisket gained in popularity and cooking them right is a bit of a challenge because you have 3 very different muscles in the roast plus a small point end that finishes sooner than the main muscle groups.

That point on the far left in the pic below is about the only thing that makes a decent tender pulled beef, the rest of it lacks enough fat and soft tissues to get anywhere near a pulled product at the time you slice it.

Pic of one all trimmed up and ready to rub.

tX5olvsl.jpg

All three muscle groups have the grain running mostly parallel so it's really easy to slice neatly and the secret to success is coming up with a base liquid to keep the meat moist after you slice it.

Basic beef broth is good enough, I make a big pot of basting liquid by reducing several different kinds of peppers and onions along with my soup base I use to make Caldo de Res.

I smoke these in the 300* range and keep a close eye on the smaller point end and get them foiled up in that area when they pass 140* and completely wrap them once they hit 170-175* in the thickest part of the chuck.

Small ones take 7 hours and some of the big boys that weight 35-40 pounds take another hour or so in my big Shirley.

Because of the different muscle densities you'll pull them off when the thick part of the chuck hits 190+ and you'll see 210* in thinner areas.

The secret to success is resting to cool the roast then slicing and panning in a liquid then holding it around 155-160* to keep it moist and tenderize it for a few more hours.

Once you get the hang of cooking these the slices will give brisket flats a run for the money all day long and twice on Sunday!

All looks mighty fine Bob.

Thanks Marty hope all is well for you and your's!

Looks great! Your tort press does not differ far from one I made several years ago. Firing up the griddle for chicken tacos right now.

View attachment 175133

I love the looks of this one, if I wasn't so busy right now I'd have probably tried my hand at making one instead.

I could destroy a good part of this tray! :-D

Well done, Sir! :thumb:

I've seen guys put away ten or more of these at once lol.

I'd love to be a part of the army you fed with that pan-o-goodness.

Y'all sure do have perty tortilla presses.

Marc if you guys ever make it back this way I'll have endless pan's of 'em ready for you! Hope all is well for you guys.

Looks fantastic, Bob. Lucky tailgaters! :-D
I really like the tortilla press too. I'm always looking for a wood project. This might be just the thing. Thanks for posting!

Hi Jeanie how have you been? If you want I can make a build sketch for you with all the critical dimensions.

Hope all is going well for you guy's always a pleasure to hear from you!

That looks amazing. I would kill that whole tray.

One of these days I need to put a food challenge on the menu to see how many can do it! :thumb:

KABOOM!!!!!! excellent looks awesome!!!!!!!

Thanks Paul! I've tried to cook whole shoulder clods in the past in other cookers but none of them come close to flowing the amount of air and hot gasses it takes to get these done right using hot & fast methods like my Shirley does!

~Lots of credit to the cooker and the builder, it produces amazing results and people love the food we make with it.

Great looking grub!

Thanks Rick!

FINE looking tacos!!! :thumb:

Thanks Joe, putting the BBQ in the taco's makes two great things come together it's hard to beat!

Hold The Phone! That looks awesome.

My man! Saw you killing it with your Shirley on that chicken cook with the bean and cornbread pan's! :thumb::clap2:

Come on up for a ND home game when I have the Shirley out in front of the restaurant rolling smoke on the highway and we can cook a few cases of these beef shoulders together!

I need to try this cut of meat and heard people talking about it but did not know what it really was and thank for explaining . Food looks fantastic too sir .

Beautiful tortillas! I used to make them all the time, and haven't for quite awhile. They look just about perfect.

I don't get up that way all that often, but what's the name of your restaurant if I'm in the neighborhood?

Back