Venison Shoulder on the Fire

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
jeanie
Just another camp meal. This was a white tail doe from rifle season.

I went with Allegro original.

24WRryV.jpg

Trimmed, placed into the bag with Allegro. Tossed it into the cooler to take with me.

TzAJMH6.jpg

mS1Bue9.jpg

VvSTy5q.jpg

Placed the marinated shoulder on the low heat side of the tractor rim as I was finishing up the breakfast cook.

wnCy8Ua.jpg

OYPGKPy.jpg

Added a pot of pintos, onions, garlic, seasonings, and a couple of smoked pork hocks over the fire.

uoqWGeD.jpg

A9pIsqU.jpg

Dyggfpl.jpg

I let the bean pot simmer over the flame while the venison shoulder slow cooked on the low heat side of the fire.

11nCq56.jpg

Not much to do but flip, rotate the meat every so often and add a log beneath the beans when needed.

skjIIhn.jpg

I made a basting sauce, beef stock, butter, worst sauce, chile flakes, heck, I can't remember what else.

ccaN7Mr.jpg

Basted the venison every so often..

7d25cWr.jpg

J1XBSCq.jpg

y0LS8KX.jpg

added a skillet of onions, peppers and garlic...

wArzuh9.jpg

heated some tortillas and called er good!

Uj5uxt1.jpg

f3NnEo1.jpg

arj2U8Z.jpg

UDy7QKF.jpg

wSX2wep.jpg

self serve.
We ate most of the meat while carving off hunks.

X2UZ8OD.jpg

I did fill a tortilla with the venison and trimmin's..

z9JPQLQ.jpg

RGP53iy.jpg

qE2LGsx.jpg

added another log to the fire and relaxed.

k7GpH49.jpg

qhRTLH6.jpg

The shoulder slow roasted for about 7 hours. It always depends on the outside temperature and the wind. I usually plan on at least 6-7 hours.
I used to grind shoulders for burger but cooking them whole on the fire is my favorite. The connective tissue breaks down a bit and everyone gets to carve out their own meat.

Sorry for so many pics again! Thanks for looking!

Jeanie, That looks delicious. How big of a doe was that? That shoulder looks bigger than the ones I am used to seeing around here. I have hunter friends who donate the shoulders from the deer they kill as they are mainly concerned with the hind quarters, back straps and inner tenderloins. I most always use the shoulders for grinding. If the cleaned muscle sections are big enough, I make jerky out of the two bigger muscles and grind the rest. Most of the shoulders I get will yield between three to four pounds each of cleaned ready to grind meat on the average. Been a while since I have cooked a whole shoulder. I may try that next season if I am given a small shoulder as they are sometimes aren't worth the time it takes to clean them for the amount of grinding meat they yield. Thanks for sharing another cooking experience with us!

Deers to you,

Juggy

Best venison I have ever cooked is over open fire. Our deer are only 80-110 pounds in N Fl, so I separate hind leg into the 9 or so individual muscles about the size of a softball to cantaloupe, marinade in Italian dressing for a day or two, then over open flame until medium rare, about 20 mins or so. Tender, juicy, and no tendons or connective tissue to chew on. in small towns around here nothing to do but hunt and fish for fun, which is a-ok with me. We have lots of clubs where we run deer with dogs, so if you get a deer over 2.5 years they get kind of tough.

I normally go to a buddies place in middle GA and take out a few does on his land for the both of us once or twice a year. After his dad passed away suddenly when we were in high school, he got out of hunting for a few years until I got him back in it while we were going to college. Those several years in between the deer population boomed with no one hunting, and I would go get 5-6 deer two or three times a year for two or three years to try and get the herd back in control. We would cook half of one that weekend to eat and have left overs, then the rest we processed and vacuum sealed them and that's the only thing we ate the whole year while in college. Grocery shopping was only bread, mayo, mustard, tea bags for sweet tea, and salad, cereal, and milk every now and then. Best shape I've ever been in due to low fat content and high protein deer naturally have in the South.

That is peace and relaxation at it's finest! If more people did that, there would be a lot less stress and and a lot more civility in the world.

When I hunted along the Colorado in central Texas, literally.almot the Geographical Center, 5-6 of us would arrive to a half barrel with mesquite coals, a yearling white tail roasting over coals. Fresh tortillas, squeeze of lime, Cholula.and a slice of roasted WT. Usually a pot of beans with jalapenos floating.

Good times
Thanks for the memories

Back