Contest Results ***RESULTS ADDED*** New Palestine,In Brew and BBQ 7/30-7/31

This turned out to be a very nice competition. The local Lions club did everything they could to make us welcome. They had dinner for us on Friday evening (burgers, fresh sweet corn and free beer!) and breakfast on Saturday morning (biscuits and gravy, hash browns and a sausage & egg casserole). They also has plenty of volunteers on hand bringing around ice and picking up trash.

There were some electrical issues but they were worse at one end of the field. Hot Rocks had an issue with their FEC, but it didn't stop them from taking 4th overall! :-D I'm sure that the organizers will get those issues worked out for next year. If they want to grow next year they also need to plan the space better. This year folks parked almost anywhere they wanted and it was difficult for the public to find teams when it came time for the People's Choice competition. It was nice, however, because everyone had plenty of space.

We had a chance to see some old friends like Kate and Alex from Dr. Porkenstein, who haven't cooked in the area since last fall. We also met a bunch of new brethren teams like Big JT's, Jay-Are-BQ, Rub Won Out, Hoosier Crawdaddy (who I met earlier this year at the Cancer Sucks Chicago class). For some reason we never had a chance to meet Blue Chip or Lambros. Sorry guys!

We also met some great local folks. David and his son Seth from Hoosier Smokehouse were next to us and we had a lot of fun with them, and we met some local folks who were cooking the Backyard competition who were very nice. one of the ladies even came by during the People's Choice (which Rub Won Out won) and brought her son from California and either his girlfriend or wife. The guys were struggling with their ribs for the backyard comp so she was out visiting :-D. We gave her son a bag of pulled pork and some ribs for later. They didn't have a team name, and I can't remember her name, but I mentioned the Brethren to them and to David from Hoosier Smokehouse. If any of you read this it was great to meet you!

Here are the results... (I highlighted the Brethren teams, but I have a feeling that I missed someone. Let me know and I'll fix it).

Congrats to everyone who heard their name!

I added the top 10 for the Sauce category at the end! Smoky River took first in Sauce! Congrats, gang!

Grand Champion: Able Acres BBQ
Reserve Champion: Bub-ba-q

Overall:
1 Able Acres BBQ
2 Bub-ba-q
3 QUAU
4 Hot Racks & BBQ Stacks
5 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
6 Blue Chip BBQ
7 Hoosier Que Daddy
8 Smoky River BBQ

9 Rinky Dink Smokers
10 JayAre-B-Q
11 Dr. Porkenstine
12 Hoosier Crawdaddy
13 Big JTs Smokin BBQ

14 Ex Fed BBQ of Indiana
15 Snake pit BBQ
16 Hoosier Smokehouse
17 Rub Won Out
18 Bronze Star BBQ
19 Pirates of the Grill
20 Cincinnati Kids
21 Lousy BBQ
22 Rollin' Ribs
23 Dukes of Que
24 Lambros BBQ
25 Taylors BBQ

Chicken:
1 Ex Fed BBQ of Indiana
2 Able Acres BBQ
3 Rub Won Out
4 Bub-ba-q
5 Snake pit BBQ
6 Rinky Dink Smokers
7 QUAU
8 Hot Racks & BBQ Stacks
9 Hoosier Que Daddy

10 Rollin' Ribs
11 Blue Chip BBQ
12 Big JTs Smokin BBQ
13 Smoky River BBQ

14 Hoosier Crawdaddy
15 Lousy BBQ
16 Hoosier Smokehouse
17 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
18 JayAre-B-Q

19 Dr. Porkenstine
20 Pirates of the Grill
21 Cincinnati Kids
22 Lambros BBQ
23 Bronze Star BBQ
24 Dukes of Que
25 Taylors BBQ

Ribs:
1 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
2 Able Acres BBQ
3 Hoosier Que Daddy
4 JayAre-B-Q

5 Lousy BBQ
6 Smoky River BBQ
7 Hoosier Smokehouse
8 Snake pit BBQ
9 Hot Racks & BBQ Stacks
10 Bub-ba-q
11 Blue Chip BBQ
12 Dr. Porkenstine
13 Rinky Dink Smokers
14 Pirates of the Grill
15 QUAU
16 Dukes of Que
17 Bronze Star BBQ
18 Ex Fed BBQ of Indiana
19 Lambros BBQ
20 Hoosier Crawdaddy
21 Big JTs Smokin BBQ
22 Rub Won Out

23 Cincinnati Kids
24 Rollin' Ribs
25 Taylors BBQ

Pork:
1 Able Acres BBQ
2 Hoosier Crawdaddy
3 Hot Racks & BBQ Stacks

4 Bub-ba-q
5 Dr. Porkenstine
6 Blue Chip BBQ
7 QUAU
8 JayAre-B-Q
9 Bronze Star BBQ
10 Rinky Dink Smokers
11 Cincinnati Kids
12 Smoky River BBQ
13 Rollin' Ribs
14 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
15 Ex Fed BBQ of Indiana
16 Pirates of the Grill
17 Snake pit BBQ
18 Dukes of Que
19 Big JTs Smokin BBQ
20 Taylors BBQ
21 Hoosier Que Daddy
22 Hoosier Smokehouse
23 Rub Won Out
24 Lambros BBQ

25 Lousy BBQ

Brisket:
1 QUAU
2 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
3 Big JTs Smokin BBQ

4 Bub-ba-q
5 Bronze Star BBQ
6 Hot Racks & BBQ Stacks
7 Hoosier Que Daddy

8 Smoky River BBQ
9 Pirates of the Grill
10 Rub Won Out
11 Hoosier Smokehouse
12 Rinky Dink Smokers
13 JayAre-B-Q
14 Dr. Porkenstine
15 Cincinnati Kids
16 Taylors BBQ
17 Able Acres BBQ
18 Dukes of Que
19 Lousy BBQ
20 Blue Chip BBQ
21 Hoosier Crawdaddy
22 Snake pit BBQ
23 Ex Fed BBQ of Indiana
24 Lambros BBQ
25 Rollin' Ribs

Sauce
1 Smoky River BBQ
2 Pirates of the Grill
3 Hoosier Que Daddy
4 Captain Ron's Brew-n-Que
5 Blue Chip BBQ

6 Dukes of Que
7 QUAU
8 Dr. Porkenstein
9 Lambros BBQ
10 ExFed BBQ of indiana

Last edited:
Awesome results Big JT the rookie getting in there with a 3rd place brisket!
Very consistent results Jimmy:-D

This was a great contest, and I will make sure it is on the schedule for next year.
Ron, it was great to meet you, and I apologize for not getting back there in time to buy a bag of your fantastic coffee.
I did notice one small mistake, however...it was I, Smoky River BBQ, that took first place in sauce. Not that it is a big deal, but I don't get very many firsts..I want this one..haha

This was a great contest, and I will make sure it is on the schedule for next year.
Ron, it was great to meet you, and I apologize for not getting back there in time to buy a bag of your fantastic coffee.
I did notice one small mistake, however...it was I, Smoky River BBQ, that took first place in sauce. Not that it is a big deal, but I don't get very many firsts..I want this one..haha

Of course it was you! I knew that, and didn't notice the mistake until you pointed it out! I'm sorry! :doh:

Hey guys! Roger and Smoky River BBQ took first in sauce!!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

When you have a chance, Roger, can you send me the picture that you took of Amy and me by our banners? I don't think we have one of the two of us like that. My e-mail address is rclewen at sbcglobal dot net

Thanks!

Thanks, Ron! I appreciate it. And I am sending the picture as soon as I send this.
Thanks for the coffee this weekend, Ron. Best I have had!

Capt Ron
Again a BIG THANKS for that Much Needed Coffee!! :thumb:
Haven't been up that long in a Looooooong time :-D
How Bout that Train Whistle at 4am :shocked::shock::shocked: Think that Guy was a Old Stick Burner from way back,,hahahahaha

AWESOME EVENT!!! Not Just because Sis got the four calls but Mark, Rick (Tractor Guy) and Lions Group were awesome and VERY accomadiating. Mark Had the Electrician out there ASAP to try to help Hot Racks out,, But the Problem was on REMC (Service Provider) HE Reassured us this morning it will not be a problem next year And We Believe Him :clap2:

BBQ Brethren ARE The BEST!!!
Big THANKS to Smokin Joe's for bringing us a Backup Smoker, BIG JTs SMOKIN for offering his smoker and Help, Capt Ron, Hoosier Crawdaddy and Other Brethren on what to do when a Motherboard takes a hike And JayAre for the Much Need Laughs,,,, You Guys are The BEST
I know Kendra Appreciate It and will Post a Thank You Too When She get off of CLOUD 9 :thumb::becky:

This was a great contest. we have only been to five contests but these New Pal guys seemed to be all over it! FREE ICE, FREE BEER, DINNER & BREAKFAST and what about the weather. :clap2: Mark and his guys did a great job. will be back next year.

Good Times, Good people!!!

We will have to echo all the positive comments about this contest, from the minute we pulled in they were all over helping out and being friendly...good Job Mark!!!!:cool:

to: Hot Racks (plus) we too had a ball hangin with you guys...its times like that that make us return to contests...makin memories!!!! and just so you know, we picked up a nice supply of book matches yesterday, no worries for French Lick!!! Congrats on the four calls, you guys deserved it with the trouble you guys went through, 2 flats, bad belt, control board and stinky neighbors!:doh: Thanks for the breakfast its was very tasty not to mention needed nourishment!!! thanks again bud...see ya soon:thumb:

Yes Ken (JayAre), it will definitely go down as one of the most unique contests! Learned plenty of new tricks.

Thanks to everyone for the congrats!:becky: We were definitely humbled and surprised by the calls and overall finish!! Capt. Ron's coffee was a huge hit. Bronze Star and JayAre crew were absolutely hilarious. Whole body is sore from laughing.:crazy: Don't know if some of these folks are on here, but Big JT's, Smokin' Joe's (aka Pie Eaters), Hoosier Crawdaddy and Pirates of the Grill are some of the nicest people I've ever come across.:thumb:

Gearing up for French Lick in two weeks. Can't wait to see some of our new buddies again. Well, as long JayAre cleans the dead squirrel out of his air conditioning unit.:sick:

HAHAHA With All the trouble we had I almost Forgot That, but didn't want to call you out on your "Chicken Brine" HAHAHAHA
***Remember Folks to Empty your RV if You Know What I Mean!! ***
:puke::bolt:

Espesially if its going to be 100 degress while it sits!!! you dont want a methane gas alarm at 3 in the am with a hangover it adds to the headache!!:sick:

Back