BBQ in Austin?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
Flying into Austin on a Tuesday in October. Was thinking about Franklins, but wondering how bad the line would be around 11:30? Any other suggestions for BBQ joints that might be as good or better?

Might just order a few pounds online and get it curbside.

I never been there, but from all the videos ive seen of people going there, I think they are sold out by then, if not sooner.

Brotheton’s Black Iron in Pfluegerville is really good, and the line is reasonable. It is about 20 miles outside of Austin. I was there last week.

Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ on Congress & 3rd was pretty good. Heard good things about Terry Black's & Leroy and Lewis.

My wife and I went in March and went to Terry Black's and it was amazing! The line moved fast food was great and they'll give you a tour of the pits. Highly recommend it. And you didn't ask but if you're spending a night there Joe's Bakery and Coffee Shop had absolutely amazing breakfast tacos I would look into that.

Thanks, All. No nights in Austin, but I will be down the road in New Braunfels for a few days.

I suspect we will skip Franklin's and try some of the others. I already went through the Holy Grail phase with wine many years ago and don't believe in it for BBQ.

Good stuff. I think we have settled on Terry Black's in Lockhart. Might be a bit less crowded on a Tuesday.

Please post a review! I'm really curious. Been to Black's a few times and had really good luck. Also been to Kreuz and Smitty's. I've been hearing good things about some upstarts, including Terry Black's and Barbs BQ. Would love to get reviews from people who've been.

I’ll be there in three hours or so. Will review. It’s kind of an embarrassment of riches, so many good joints to choose from.

Terry Black's was quite good. The jalapeno cheddar sausage was great, the brisket great taste, maybe a little dry. Mac n cheese was excellent. Sauce was OK, pretty standard Texas BBQ joint sauce, but I didn't use much anyway.

Best of all, no lines.

387792456_10160991609286341_3799529165708562410_n.jpg

387857445_10160991609436341_4601191437287022969_n.jpg

387808868_10160991609391341_7156667287753861074_n.jpg

387861121_10160991609246341_3199007474260454884_n.jpg

The brisket looks awfully dry in the pic. I think I'd be disappointed... in Lockhart anyway.

I've been to Lockhart twice, once to the original Black's & once to Kreuz. Was less than impressed both times.

I have heard that Black's and Kreuz are on a downward slope. It's been about 10 years since I visited the trinity there (in one afternoon). The brisket I had at Black's was outstanding at the time, but now it could be completely different.

OK, had a drive 'cross country and stopped at Lockhart. Definitely is not as good as it was. FWIW, Black's still had the best brisket in my opinion. Smitty's also was nice, but not as flavorful as Black's. The sausage at Smitty's was better. Had both sausage and brisket as well at Kreuz, which was a distant third. I did not stop at Terry Black's and Barb's wasn't open (they're only open one day a week). Stopped at Stiles Switch the next day for lunch and that was much better than anything I had in Lockhart -- would defintely recommend the beef rib. Unfortunately Mueller's was closed in Taylor.

Next time I'll try to catch Terry Black's and Barb's....

Gore, glad you liked Stiles Switch. Been a few years since I've been there and I always recommend them. Really great guys running it (Lance started out at Louie Mueller's) and glad they got your seal of approval.

Back