THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beentown

is Blowin Smoke!
So, I have a RecTeq 1250 coming, first pellet grill....

Anyway, I see that many have quite a bit of grease running down the front. I was thinking of ordering some 1/8" gasket to line the door edge to help counter it. Anyone done this and did it help? I am not super anal about my smokers but if it helps, then it is worth it. Even those with the new diverter that they come with seem to have quite a bit.

For those that have one how do you think I will like the 1250? I already have a Shirley 24x60, 3x Weber Kettles, 2 WSM's (going to give away), Assassin 48, Humphreys Q'Bed pint (business partners), UDS, and a Lonestar Grillz Large Insulated on Offroad Package (on the way, going on the food trailer). They all have their + and - but I wanted something for home use that is versatile and super easy to use and maintain.

Thanks all and have a Merry Christmas!

First off congrats on your new RecTeq. I have the 680 and couldn't be happier with it and the CS. I really haven't experienced any issues with grease running down the front from the smoker. My issue is due to me either spilling or dripping stuff. No matter how careful I try to be.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Not sure about your grease question, but I can share my experience re: your “am I gonna like this cooker” question. Although I don’t have a Rec Teq, I do have a pellet smoker. I have cooked on pretty much every mainstream style of grill and smoker… much like yourself. I use my pellet muncher 9 out of 10 times. Absolutely love pellet cooking. Easy, great results, consistent, easy to clean and maintain. Hoping you come to enjoy it as well :)

You should pick up some Cookin Pellets or Lumber Jack 100% hickory pellets to start with and start most cooks with 1-4 hours at a 180-200, then bump it up a bit. I hate to say this and hope I end up wrong, but the odds are not in your favor as far as liking the food from it. Pellets grills generally produce a very clean smoke and the fans blow it through pretty quickly, so it’s much different than charcoal smokers and lots lighter than stick burners. So, don’t be afraid to use hickory on things you’d never use it on in your other smokers. If you beat the odds, then try competition blends. Stay away from most companies’ single species as most use 70-80% oak or alder as a base wood on those, so it lightens the smoke profile even more.

You will love the ease of use and cleaning though. Pellet grills are the kings in that aspect.

You should pick up some Cookin Pellets or Lumber Jack 100% hickory pellets to start with and start most cooks with 1-4 hours at a 180-200, then bump it up a bit. I hate to say this and hope I end up wrong, but the odds are not in your favor as far as liking the food from it. Pellets grills generally produce a very clean smoke and the fans blow it through pretty quickly, so it’s much different than charcoal smokers and lots lighter than stick burners. So, don’t be afraid to use hickory on things you’d never use it on in your other smokers. If you beat the odds, then try competition blends. Stay away from most companies’ single species as most use 70-80% oak or alder as a base wood on those, so it lightens the smoke profile even more.

You will love the ease of use and cleaning though. Pellet grills are the kings in that aspect.

I will be using mostly Cabelas branded pellets, which are made by Lumberjack. Unless it causes me problems. I use it currently to cold smoke bacon and jerky.

I much prefer the product that comes off my Shirley than all the others I have used, so we shall see. IMHO, properly seasoned wood with a proper fire tastes much better than charcoal with chunks.

Counting it up the Shirley has probably cooked ~10k pounds of meat so maybe I have just grown used to it?

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Not sure about your grease question, but I can share my experience re: your “am I gonna like this cooker” question. Although I don’t have a Rec Teq, I do have a pellet smoker. I have cooked on pretty much every mainstream style of grill and smoker… much like yourself. I use my pellet muncher 9 out of 10 times. Absolutely love pellet cooking. Easy, great results, consistent, easy to clean and maintain. Hoping you come to enjoy it as well :)

Thanks, also just followed you from my business page @katskraftbbq

I do have grease stains on the front of my 700 even with a gasket but it was much much worse on my 590 without the gasket. The grease diverter combined with a gasket may nearly resolve the issue for you.

As Robb said I also use my pellet 9/10 times. And I second Shane on cooking at 200 for the first portion for the most smoke flavor. Mesquite will provide the most smoke flavor but not everyone likes the earthiness. If you’re not happy with oak or hickory lumberjack try the mesquite.

I will be using mostly Cabelas branded pellets, which are made by Lumberjack. Unless it causes me problems. I use it currently to cold smoke bacon and jerky.

Lumberjack also makes a lot of Oak/single species blends, so there’s a good chance Cabela’s pellets are 60-70% oak for single species. Lumberjack does use more flavor wood on their single species than many others and usually label their bags with what exactly they are at least on their own branded bags. They just also offer some 100% as well.

The competition type blends are 100% flavor woods in some brands, things like 40% hickory, 30% maple, and 30% Cherry.

I just like to point this out because I think a lot of people don’t realize if you go buy most brands of ‘hickory’ or ‘maple’ or ‘apple’ pellets your getting mostly oak or alder.

I much prefer the product that comes off my Shirley than all the others I have used, so we shall see. IMHO, properly seasoned wood with a proper fire tastes much better than charcoal with chunks.

Counting it up the Shirley has probably cooked ~10k pounds of meat so maybe I have just grown used to it?

I have an older 680 and haven’t had that problem with grease, including on some pretty large cooks. That said, none were probably as big as you will be able to do on yours.

From what I’ve seen here, it’s the people coming from WSMs and drums that I worry the most about transitioning to a pellet grill. They tend to put out pretty strong smoke flavors and the pellet is substantially different. It seems like the transition from an offset to is easier. Doesn’t mean that folks don’t think they create the best product off the offset but the pellet is at least directionally similar and the ease of use is worth giving up what’s left.

Here’s the deal with “flavor”. It will have a different profile of flavor than your Shirley. That’s not a bad thing. Food off a pellet grill comes out amazing if it’s cooked correctly. I have 2 pellet grills and love them both. They are great weekday cookers. Use them on the weekend of I don’t want to fire up the other cookers. When I turn them on, I know it’s a different flavor than my charcoal pits. Go in it with that in mind, expectations in check and I’m sure you’ll love it. If you expect it to taste like your Shirley, you will hate it.

Back