THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I love my RecTec! It's awesome and smokes food really well. Good choice to make! You can also add a front shelf by Traeger. I did and it worked great!

I love mine. Heavy duty with a great controller. It's unreal how steady it is. While I'd love to learn to use an offset, I know that I really don't have the time to monitor the temp and therefore wouldn't use it that often. This thing doesn't vary more than a few degrees over a 12 hour cook. I got it for fathers day last year and we used it nearly every weekend during the summer. Brisket, pulled pork, chicken, turkey and ham all came out fantastic. The rec tec is nearly idiot proof.

Speaking of idiots.... Their service is outstanding. I somehow managed to not notice I didn't get all the packing material off before I did the burn in. Not real good for the paint job. I called to see if I could buy some touch up paint. The owner called me back and they shipped me a replacement lid -- his take was that they should have done a better job with the instructions if I could make the mistake. Not an insignificant hunk of metal. While the basic design is very similar to the Traeger Texas, the metal is probably at least twice as heavy gauge. The shipping alone had to put a nice dent in their profit. And the reality is that it was completely my fault. These weren't hidden pieces. They were black rubber bumpers on the red lid. No one should be that color blind.

I'd absolutely recommend anyone considering this size/type of pellet grill to look at what they are offering.
Bill

Their service is outstanding.
Absolutely agree with you on this. I bought mine used and while transporting it home in a snowstorm, it tipped and the light cover got damaged. I contacted them by email and 10 minutes later I had someone call me and conform my address. 1.5 week later I had a new light cover. They make an awesome smoker and they have awesome customer service!

I purchased a RT this week, I can't wait to try my recipes on it. I just got to dig it out.

2014-02-13074542.jpg

I wish I only had that much snow to dig through to get to mine. It's drifted a little but it's just about up to the bottom of the lid.

Speaking of idiots.... Their service is outstanding. I somehow managed to not notice I didn't get all the packing material off before I did the burn in. Not real good for the paint job. I called to see if I could buy some touch up paint. The owner called me back and they shipped me a replacement lid -- his take was that they should have done a better job with the instructions if I could make the mistake. Not an insignificant hunk of metal. While the basic design is very similar to the Traeger Texas, the metal is probably at least twice as heavy gauge. The shipping alone had to put a nice dent in their profit. And the reality is that it was completely my fault. These weren't hidden pieces. They were black rubber bumpers on the red lid. No one should be that color blind.

I'd absolutely recommend anyone considering this size/type of pellet grill to look at what they are offering.
Bill

I'm so glad someone else did this. I left the same exact little black bumpers on during my burn in, and they melted to the lid. I cleaned them off best I could but you can still see the "shadow" of where they were! haha

On a different note, for things like brisket, are y'all doing the 350 degree quick brisket on the RT website, or low and slow 225 or so like a normal stick burner?

With my order I got the bronze pang and 120 of all perfect blend pellets (maple, hickory, cherry, apple). I also got the cover, but failed to put it on before the storm.

I got mine this fall and love it. It is built like a tank and easy to use. The large hopper is a definite bonus for those long cooks. I just did two butts for the Super Bowl. Set the temp and kept an eye on it, except for when I went to bed. :) 15.5 hours later perfect results.

I'm so glad someone else did this. I left the same exact little black bumpers on during my burn in, and they melted to the lid. I cleaned them off best I could but you can still see the "shadow" of where they were! haha

On a different note, for things like brisket, are y'all doing the 350 degree quick brisket on the RT website, or low and slow 225 or so like a normal stick burner?

I've done them at 225. I've only done one full packer so time wasn't a big issue. On the packer I started it with a couple Boston butts about midnight and went to bed. Temp was cruising along perfectly when I woke up

My 1st batch of ribs were under. I did BB 2-1-1 at 250. Maybe it was the cold windy day. My guess when I wrapped and unwrapped the ribs cooled and it messed up the timing.

I realize this thread is a few weeks old, but I was curious about shipping... has anyone had their grill shipped direct from the company? I was quoted 199.00 to Alaska when I was going thru the process of purchasing, but then I read on the website that the shipping price during checkout was actually a shipping quote, not the price of shipping. Thoughts?

I have emailed the company and haven't heard anything; maybe they don't think I am serious. LOL

I realize this thread is a few weeks old, but I was curious about shipping... has anyone had their grill shipped direct from the company? I was quoted 199.00 to Alaska when I was going thru the process of purchasing, but then I read on the website that the shipping price during checkout was actually a shipping quote, not the price of shipping. Thoughts?

I have emailed the company and haven't heard anything; maybe they don't think I am serious. LOL

As far as I know, they only sell/ship direct from the factory. You can purchase it through Amazon marketplace but it's still direct from RecTec.

I believe that the $199 is a flat rate for anywhere in the lower 48 but that they charge actual shipping for Alaska and Hawaii.

The website doesn't appear to be sophisticated enough to give an estimate for those two states. They are usually extremely responsive -- I'd call them if you still haven't heard back on the email

Back