Racial Composition of Teams???? (Interesting Split)

Bigmista said:
I guess I'm just a little bit different because I just like to have a good time and it doesn't matter who it's with. MrsMista thinks I'm crazy cause I wake up in the morning dancing by myself.

I celebrate everybody's holidays. I'm Irish on St. Patricks day. I'm Mexican on Cinco de Mayo. Hell if they had a party, I'd be Jewish on Yom Kippur. I've never been afraid to go out and experience someone else's culture and probably look pretty goofy doing it. Might be why I feel comfortable here.

If that makes other people feel comfortable and open more doors, then so be it.

Uhm, we could be brothers. I'm singing and dancing in the shower every morning. My bride thinks I'm crazy. I just love life. Every day, every minute. Enjoy it brothers. And respect all others while you're at it.

Ive never really thaught of it, but if it matters a Black man taught me some of the basics. When I do cooks I dont look at the color of the competitors 'cause I just want to make better Q than 'em all no matter what color!

Plowboy said:
Since our barber moved to a new shop, it isn't as lively. He's younger and cuts all of the kids and young men. Now, at the old shop, the old guys would sit in the back with the 60 something barber. Now those guys could talk about nothing all damn day. They didn't sensor themselves because I was there, either. I'm a shut your mouth and listen kinda guy anyway.

One morning we were their early and were the first ones in the front of the shop. The lights weren't even on. We can in the front door and startled them. They thought someone was coming in to rob them... so one guy said. Another said, "I was gonna say you are in the wrong place, until I saw Little Man (referring to my son)."

Yep, can't stand the young shops! No depth to the conversations!

Bigmista said:
I celebrate everybody's holidays. I'm Irish on St. Patricks day. I'm Mexican on Cinco de Mayo. Hell if they had a party, I'd be Jewish on Yom Kippur. I've never been afraid to go out and experience someone else's culture and probably look pretty goofy doing it. Might be why I feel comfortable here.

You've also been WhiteTrash! Let me re-phrase that. You ARE WhiteTrash. Once WhiteTrash, always WhiteTrash. And I'm damned proud you are.

I didn't read all the posts but localy there are several all black teams around here and they do good in competition. In 2005 a black team won it all in the Paducah, Ky contest, this year they came in third. Several others have won in Southern Ill.

When I lived in Memphis, Tn I knew of 9 all black teams plus several others with a mixed team.

From what I can tell, Memphis and KY are exceptions to the rule. I don't think whether ther are good black cooks out there is the question. The question is why don't they compete?

As I've heard from a couple of cooks, competting don't pay the bills.

big brother smoke said:
Yep, can't stand the young shops! No depth to the conversations!

Went there today. All I heard about today was Jay-Z. But I did get a bootleg copy of the new Pirates of the Carribean DVD for $5. :biggrin:

* * * * * thread.

Too bad I don't have any answers either. Just a couple anecdotes that support Neil's question:

In my SUPER LIMITED competition experience, I recall no black team members, let alone black teams.

A good percentage of the FEW local Q joints are owned or staffed by blacks, despite them being a very small % of the general population here.

One of the (black) coaches on my kid's youth athletic teams brought his little offset to the end of year picnic, and we talked barbecue for a minute. Apparently he has a larger set up at home to do large quantities. I asked if he competed and he said yes, but we did not get a chance to pursue it, and frankly I do not really think he does compete in sanctioned type events. I will have to follow up with him when I see him next.

Wine & Swine said:
Everyone at Hudson Valley got to meet our black team member, Chris, who unfortunatley, can not cook and just likes to walk around the comps drinking wine and wearing orange clogs. I think barbeque is like hockey, except with less Canadians.

We also had an teammate from India there and periodically have a team member who prefers to be called Peaches.:biggrin: We are an equal opportunity team and we just like people and having a good time.

I do agree with the theory that it's cultural. I have a lot of black coworkers who think I'm a little nuts when I talk about contests I did and what I'm going to do next year. "You pay money to sit out in the rain all night?!!!"

But the middle aged white guys here think I'm the coolest person on the planet. Go figure.

big brother smoke said:
Yes, you can great deals!

And homemade sandwiches in ziplock baggies & bean pies sold by some guy walking around with a cardboard full. The experience is... in a word, colorful. A modern day slice of Americana.

My father used to get all of his liquor at the barber shop and still gets some movies there. A bit off topic though...

Back