Questions For The New Burner/Ignition System For Outdoor LP 2 Burner Gas Grills. Please Reply.

BBQPiggy

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hello. Nice to meet you all!

I joined this forum because I have some questions to ask you and the research I have conducted over a new burner and ignition design for an outdoor LP gas 2 burner barbecue grills.

Well, let me start with some background information I just learned as I am out shopping for a new gas grill. I am looking for a small to mid-sized stand-up 2 burner model that typically is 4-5 feet high with legs and 2 side shelves priced around $100. For years I have owned gas grills of this size and have replaced them anywhere between 5-10 years on average when the high cost of repair behooves me to pick up a new one instead of new part(s). They have served me well. Now, in the process of shipping around; I have just learned late last year (2013) that most manufacturers of the 2 burner gas grill models of the type have changed their burner design to match their larger 3+ burner gas grill models that have been used for years. The burner design change they have instituted is called an individual burner tube design with an "independent ignition" feature versus the older 2-sided single burner (dual control) with a separate single igniter button.

If you do not know, the independent burner tube design would consist of a straight hollow metal tube running perpendicular from behind each gas burner control on the front of the grill in one direction into the grill box and attached by some means (clip or screw) between the closed end of the hollow metal burner tube and a metal support post at the inside back of the grill box. In a 2 burner gas grill, there would be 2 "independent" or separate burner tubes. In a straight line along the length of both sides of the burner tube within the grill box provides equally spaced tiny ports for the flame. For years, 2 burner gas grills having the 2-sided single burner used either the H design or the oval gas shaped burner that was a 3-dimensional hollow, flat, semi-compressed piece of metal formed into the shapes "H" or oval like. These older 2-sided single burners possessed along the parameter's edge of their 3D semi-flat shape equally spaced tiny ports for the flame to escape. The H or oval gas burner would be positioned on a flat horizontal plane in the middle of the base of the grill box with metal or aluminum Venturi Tubes for support running between the H or oval gas burner and the gas controls.

The independent ignition feature is where each gas control dial has a built-in igniter function to light the gas next to the burner port holes for each individual burner tube when one is turning on the gas to light the burner. This is the same operation as natural gas stoves' burners found in kitchens. With the older 2-sided single burner with dual control, an igniter function was a separate igniter button placed near the gas control dials on the front of the grill. The igniter button was a separate action to ignite the gas in the H or oval burner. Since the newer burner tubes are separate or independent of one another; each independent burner with this newer burner design has its very own igniter function to light its attached burner tube separately from each gas control knob.

As you can perceive, the both burner tube design of a 2 burner gas grill, run parallel to one another and uniformly spaced from front to back of the grill box bottom. As you may know, the older H or oval design burner was placed in the center of the grill box and occupied approximately two-thirds diameter of the grill box from center.

In the future, if a burner needs to be replaced; the individual burner tube design would is much cheaper and easier to replace (est. $10 each individual burner tube) versus double the cost or more for the older 2-sided single burner design. If only one individual burner tube design fails like rusts though over time while the other is still viable, then only one individual burner tube needs to be replaced at a time to save money and a much faster time at replacing it.

You can still find the older 2-sided single burner (dual control) around yet; but they are quickly being phased out. They have not completely disappeared from the market yet, but in time they will be no longer more. This year (2014), I am finding both burner designs, however there are more of the individual burner tube design with independent ignition on the market for 2 burner gas grills.

Now, my questions to you about individual burner tubes with independent ignition and 2-sided single burner with dual control:

1. Comparing the older and newer designs of gas grill burners, what burner design do you think would produce greater even cooking better?

2. Again, between the older and newer designs of gas grill burners/ignitions, which one would you buy today if you had to buy an outdoor LP gas 2 burner barbecue grill?

3. If shopping round for a new 2 burner gas grill, do you think it would be wise to consider only the newer individual burner tube design over the older 2-sided single burner (dual control)? Why? (My concern is this: If I get the older 2-sided single burner (dual control) with a separate single igniter button gas grill, then years into the future if I have to replace the burner, I just may not find them around unlike the newer burner/ignition designs replacement kits that I am finding now!)

4. Regarding the newer individual burner tube design with independent ignition, if there ever was an igniter failure so a individual burner tube does not ignite when turning the dial control knob, is it possible the entire dial control knob would have to be replaced or not? Is this a costly fix to replace the entire dial control knob when it has independent ignition built-in? (With the older separate single igniter button, you can go out to any department store and just about find an inexpensive, quick and easy replacement if it were to fail.)

5. Any thoughts over the change in burner and ignition design for outdoor LP 2 burner gas grills?

Please reply.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Back